British Speedway Forum

Dream Come True For Some. Ole Is Going....

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess by the lack of respone,it isn't that interesting.I haven't a clue what the "IPL" is and if IMG lost the rights to it or didn't particularly want the rights to it........or what significance it has to the SGP :unsure:

The IPL is the Indian Premier League for Cricket.

IMG definitely wanted to continue with the rights and are, I blieve, considering legal action over what they believe to be an illegal termination of their contract.

The contract has been handed to Sony instead.

IMG made a lot of money out of the IPL, so I'm not sure if it's this loss of revenue that Humphrey is suggesting has significance to the SGP.

Here Rune Holta's thoughts (in Polish, unfortunately :wink: ):

http://www.sportowefakty.pl/zuzel/2009/08/...zestaje-juz-na/

All the best

Rob

You don't want to believe all that a rider says.....didn't Bjarne say something similar when it looked like he wasn't going to get in again.But low and behold Bjarne was in the qualis again this year,trying to get back in. :wink:

The IPL is the Indian Premier League for Cricket.

IMG definitely wanted to continue with the rights and are, I blieve, considering legal action over what they believe to be an illegal termination of their contract.

The contract has been handed to Sony instead.

IMG made a lot of money out of the IPL, so I'm not sure if it's this loss of revenue that Humphrey is suggesting has significance to the SGP.

Thanks henry.Have no idea about cricket and am quite happy with that :lol:

Olsen will no longer be Race Diretor in 2010....but wants to enlarge the series to 15 meetings

This was denied by Olsen in the Speedway Star last week.

Says he doesn't know where the rumour came from!

Olsen also says that there may be new GP venues in 2010, but expansion "to the other side of the world" is unlikely before 2011

Edited by Pollyanna

I find that very hard to believe. I've never seen the SGP shown or even advertised outside of a handful of countries, let alone over half the countries in the world. Perhaps the SGP highlights can in theory be accessed (via satellite) in that many countries, but I doubt there's any sort of audience.

Well I haven't actually watched it on the highlights package, but I know they do show it over here in New Zealand on Sky Sports. Ok it is usually a few weeks behind and not really advertised, but we have caught parts of it...... the benefit for me though is I get the whole meet sent over or get up and watch it live online!

The total viewing figures for the SGP are being significantly improved

by the fact that each event can now be seen live, along with the Sky

commentary (good or bad) via the internet for around £5, though this

is naturally blocked in certain countries, including the UK, Sweden,

Denmark and Poland, which take a live TV transmission. It is, however,

proving extremely popular in Australia and New Zealand.

It is EXTREMELY unlikely that the SGP will go to Australia and New

Zealand before 2011 and the number of GPs in Europe next year will

probably be the same as this.

Not that I am aware of many others in New Zealand watching it I do know though that we can normally pick the stream up over the net......

I'm gutted if do have to wait til 2011 for one over here, but I'm not.... Coming back to UK next year so will be in Cardiff :) however was getting an open ended return flight so I could get back over here for any GP if there was.... however, if there is in 2011, OZ or NZ, or both.... I'll be here :D although am trying to think where they could host it in NZ..... especially as 2011 is the Rugby World Cup over here, that is September so it would have to be after that..... AMI Stadium in Christchurch would be good.... then I can rent my house out to visitors at the same time :)

although am trying to think where they could host it in NZ.

The Westpac Stadium in Wellington was apparently previously in the frame, when BSI announced it as a venue for the 2003 series.

One thing I did notice when I was in NZ last year, was that speedway seemed to have a fairly significant presence around the country, as well as in the local media. I realise speedway isn't just bikes in NZ, but I did see quite a few speedway bikes being towed around the countryside.

Maybe a GP would work in New Zealand if the transport costs could be resolved (a big 'if' I'd think).

I think it is probably bigger in the North Island so Wellington would probably make sense..... Only a 45 min plane ride away so that's sweet :)

But yeah transporting all the stuff over is the thing.... but if they can get it all sorted would be good to get it over here

• 1 month later...
This was denied by Olsen in the Speedway Star last week.

Says he doesn't know where the rumour came from!

Olsen also says that there may be new GP venues in 2010, but expansion "to the other side of the world" is unlikely before 2011

Well maybe Mr Rising and Ole denied it in the Star,but it is back in the news.Apparently the FIM have stated today the next GP will be Olsens last in charge :rolleyes:

Ole is going

FIM announced this today:

FIM Speedway World Championship Grand Prix & FIM Speedway World Cup

New Appointments

In a move to further grow and expand the sport of Speedway, the FIM has made the following appointments:

Ole Olsen, FIM Speedway Director of Sport

At the next FIM Speedway Grand Prix of Bydgoszcz on 17 October, Ole Olsen will be ending his career as FIM Race Director, a position he has occupied with great charisma, competence and authority since the birth of the Speedway Grand Prix in 1995. A living legend in speedway - he won several individual world titles in Speedway (1971, 1975 and 1978) and in Long Track (1973) –Ole Olsen has been appointed FIM Speedway Director of Sport and his main responsibility will be to drive the development, promotion and expansion of the FIM Speedway Grand Prix in close consultation with the FIM and its promoter BSI Speedway.

Asked about his new position, Ole declared: “I am very pleased that the FIM has offered me a new and exciting position within the sport of Speedway. I feel privileged to be part of the further expansion and development of the sport I love so much in close relationship with FIM and BSI Speedway. I have fully enjoyed my time as Race Director and have seen with huge pleasure the enormous growth this great sport has achieved over the period through great and passionate work from all parties involved.”

Tony Olsson, new FIM Race Director as from 2010

Tony Olsson, who will succeed Ole Olsen, was appointed as from 1st April 2009 as Assistant Race Director working alongside Ole Olsen during the 2009 season. Tony was a professional speedway rider in England from 1986 to 1997 and has held a FIM Clerk of the Course licence since 2005 and officiated at the 2006 Speedway Grand Prix Challenge in Vetlanda, at the 2007 Speedway Grand Prix in Eskilstuna and at the 2008 Speedway Grand Prix in Gothenburg. He has also worked as Track Racing Coordinator at the Swedish Motorcycle Federation (SVEMO) and was Speedway Team Manager for Sweden from 2001 to 2004.

Asked about his new position, Tony Olsson stated: “I am really looking forward to this new challenge in my Speedway career. I have learned a lot during this season as Assistant Race Director and feel confident to be able to fulfil my new tasks in the best possible conditions. I wish Ole all the best and good luck in his new position as FIM Speedway Director of Sport where his experience and network will be very useful to our sport.”

Roy Otto, President of the FIM Track Racing Commission (CCP) stated: “After working closely with Ole during many years I am convinced that Ole is the right person to be the ambassador of the development and expansion of speedway sport in the world. His expertise and knowledge will be of great help to the sport of speedway to become a worldwide sport. In the name of the FIM, I thank Ole Olsen for the great work he has done for 15 years as Race Director. I also wish to welcome the new Race Director Tony Olsson and am confident he will deliver an excellent job.”

So . . . .

It's not good news at all

Olsen is staying involved with the FIM at a more powerful level, and his "main responsibility will be to drive the development, promotion and expansion of the FIM Speedway Grand Prix in close consultation with the FIM and its promoter BSI Speedway"

Nothing to do with promoting the sport in this or any other country

Nothing for the rank and file supporter who pays out good money week in week out to watch the sport he/she loves, or for the local promoter endeavouring to keep the sport in existence

Time for the BSPA, SCB, ACU, SRA, to get together and tell the FIM to go forth and multiply with their GP series, so that Britain can get on with restoring a proper 7 day a week sport between the end of March and October at tracks up and down the country, without those riders who prefer to ply their trade elsewhere

Of course, it may be that 'FIM Speedway Director of Sport' is akin to being 'moved upstairs' to Director of Football. In practice, they such positions have little power, and are usually an honourable way of putting people where they can't do much damage. :wink:

I note the press release is devoid of any detail as to what the FIM Speedway Director of Sport will actually entail, quite aside from the linguistically challenged title. :rolleyes:

Of course, it may be that 'FIM Speedway Director of Sport' is akin to being 'moved upstairs' to Director of Football. In practice, they such positions have little power, and are usually an honourable way of putting people where they can't do much damage. :wink:

I note the press release is devoid of any detail as to what the FIM Speedway Director of Sport will actually entail, quite aside from the linguistically challenged title. :rolleyes:

I think you have to go back to the original article,the recent statement by the FIM president and maybe also the rumour that Argentina want to enter the SWC......Ole will be given the task of opening up new markets for the SGP and maybe SWC :rolleyes:

I think you have to go back to the original article,the recent statement by the FIM president and maybe also the rumour that Argentina want to enter the SWC.

It still sounds like a fluffy role to me.

If Argentina really wants to enter the SWC (assuming they could raise a competitive side and afford the cost of participation), then surely it's just a case of applying like anyone else? What's so complicated?

That's quite aside that there are several traditional SWC teams (e.g. Norway, Austria and Bulgaria) that should be brought back before gallivanting off around the world. [Although I appreciate Argentina at least has some history of speedway.]

Ole will be given the task of opening up new markets for the SGP and maybe SWC

Haven't we heard this all before, and yet 10 years on we're still waiting for a sustainable GP outside Europe? :rolleyes:

Glad to see Ole is still involved with SGP, whether it be a title or active role, speedway would not be as widely seen on TV as it is today without him. :approve:

Absolutely.And he probably deserves a Nobel prize as much as Obama.All his work in perfecting a slick surface from what is basically dirt ,shouldn't go un-recognised :unsure:

Edited by iris123

Yup, looks like the classic move sideways into the car-park beloved of organisations that want a new face but have to give credit to the person moved on.

ok so first of all

At the next FIM Speedway Grand Prix of Bydgoszcz on 17 October, Ole Olsen will be ending his career as FIM Race Director, a position he has occupied with great charisma, competence and authority since the birth of the Speedway Grand Prix in 1995.

cant really disagree with that too much tbh ...... he certainly has shown authority.... and charisma...... competency? well it depends how you rate that but he has at least helped to raise speedway's profile once again........... so for that I guess we should be thankful and he deserves a round of applause

secondly.......... I am extremely happy with this! :D .............. quite simply the guy at times has been a liability over the years and in some ways has brought the sport into disrepute ......................... this smells of background pressure and some of the guys at IMG and possibly FIM either smelling the coffee ... or finally getting up the courage to do something about him.............. I imagine the dire lack of passing at some of the gp's this year in front of crowds who were already bare helped to make the decision

It all depends on the new approach taken ... if there is one....... but I suspect we may experience the odd cock up along the way while people rediscover what a proper speedway track is............ hope he enjoys his director position and it turns out to be more than a cosy pre retirement duty that he thrives in........ but only if he doesnt end up adversely affecting things again!