British Speedway Forum

Dream Come True For Some. Ole Is Going....

Peterborough hasnt the facilities for a SGP - It struggled with the SWC with a que for the bar about 100 deep!

If they expand the series it needs to be at stadiums that can cope. The German one was a joke too with the daft process to get a drink from the bar with cards that had to be topped up!

Thats what I was thinking..................there are no existing tracks with suitable facilities or could take a large enough crowd....................

Time to ask Wembley again????????????????

RP

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eurosport alone covers: "Eurosport reaches 116 million homes across 59 countries in Europe, 22 million different viewers watch Eurosport every day"

There aren't 59 countries in Europe, by any definition... and even if they were, that's only half of 117... ;)

And what's the potential speedway viewing audience in the Vatican, Monaco and Liechtenstein? :rolleyes:

Well, next season we'll see if it was Olsen responsible for the ultra-slick tracks for GP rounds. :wink:

Meanwhile, I can see riders opting out of the GP series if it is expanded to 15 rounds but they are still paid a pittance to compete in the competition. If the GP series is such a roaring success, then the riders should get a fair slice of the cake. Instead we currently have riders trying to make up for their GP shortfall, by demanding high money from their Polish, Swedish and British clubs. Money that the clubs can no longer afford to pay out. The GP needs to stand on its own feet, instead of sponging off domestic clubs.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

Well, next season we'll see if it was Olsen responsible for the ultra-slick tracks for GP rounds. :wink:

Meanwhile, I can see riders opting out of the GP series if it is expanded to 15 rounds but they are still paid a pittance to compete in the competition. If the GP series is such a roaring success, then the riders should get a fair slice of the cake. Instead we currently have riders trying to make up for their GP shortfall, by demanding high money from their Polish, Swedish and British clubs. Money that the clubs can no longer afford to pay out. The GP needs to stand on its own feet, instead of sponging off domestic clubs.

All the best

Rob

Rob what is the prize money in the GP's?

It tends to be kept quiet, but it's quite low. I think the winner of each round receives around USD 10,000, which may not sound that bad, but actually is less than the average rider spends on each round in getting their crew and bikes over there, etc.

All the riders lose out on the GP series in terms of prize money vs expenses, although of course the top boys make up for it in terms of sponsorship, which is why a have / have not culture has grown into the GPs. Apart from the top 5 in the world, the rest are left out of pocket by the GP series.

I'm sure Humphrey or someone else will have more accurate figures on the prize money for GPs.

All the best

Rob

To me the GP's are long enough as they are now.

Not only can they get boring, but most years the winner is pretty much odds-on by mid August.

I can't see Sky covering 15 Grand Prixs every year, Speedway isn't exactly top of their 'to do' list. Then theres the further disruption it would cause to league meetings- riders missing on a Friday and Saturday, dropping leagues because they've got too many meetings to attend.

Why not focus on making the GP's we've already got better, more entertaining, less 'follow the leader' racing? Improvements need to be made to the 11 Grand Prixs we have now before 4 more are added.

OLE Olsen has a contract with the FIM until the END of 2010 and, as

far as I know, intends to honour it. Tony Olsson was appointed

assistant race director on the basis of being Ole's deputy for TWO

years.

The 60 minutes Grand Prix highlights programme, finalised the Thursday

after each round, is in fact shown in over 100 countries. It is, of

course, now marketed by IMG who have huge TV interests around the world.

The total viewing figures for the SGP are being significantly improved

by the fact that each event can now be seen live, along with the Sky

commentary (good or bad) via the internet for around £5, though this

is naturally blocked in certain countries, including the UK, Sweden,

Denmark and Poland, which take a live TV transmission. It is, however,

proving extremely popular in Australia and New Zealand.

It is EXTREMELY unlikely that the SGP will go to Australia and New

Zealand before 2011 and the number of GPs in Europe next year will

probably be the same as this.

While I wouldn't and couldn't argue that prize money in the SGP is

nothing to shout home about, most riders (and this is undoubtedly an

area where the Brutish contingent suffers) secure lucrative

sponsorship in the back of TV exposure.

PHILIP RISING

Published rates are as follows, from which travel and hotel expenses must be paid:

1st US$ 11,000

2nd US$ 8,200

3rd US$ 6,900

4th US$ 6,000.

5th US$ 5,250

6th US$ 5,100

7th US$ 4,650

8th US$ 4,500

9th US$ 3,850

10th US$ 3,700

11th US$ 3,650

12th US$ 3,600

13th US$ 3,550

14th US$ 3,500

15th US$ 3,450

16th US$ 3,400

17th US$ 2,100

18th US$ 2,100

To put in perspective, the leading rider Jason Crump has earned a total of US$ 62,300 this season (an average of US$ 8,900 per GP), whilst Scott Nicholls (the lowest placed regular rider) has earned just US$ 24,250 (an average of US$ 3,464 per GP).

There is/was the Super Prix cash as well, but that's apparently been scaled back this season.

Published rates are as follows, from which travel and hotel expenses must be paid:

1st US$ 11,000

2nd US$ 8,200

3rd US$ 6,900

4th US$ 6,000.

5th US$ 5,250

6th US$ 5,100

7th US$ 4,650

8th US$ 4,500

9th US$ 3,850

10th US$ 3,700

11th US$ 3,650

12th US$ 3,600

13th US$ 3,550

14th US$ 3,500

15th US$ 3,450

16th US$ 3,400

17th US$ 2,100

18th US$ 2,100

To put in perspective, the leading rider Jason Crump has earned a total of US$ 62,300 this season (an average of US$ 8,900 per GP), whilst Scott Nicholls (the lowest placed regular rider) has earned just US$ 24,250 (an average of US$ 3,464 per GP).

There is/was the Super Prix cash as well, but that's apparently been scaled back this season.

There were 3 super prix`s this season-double prize money to the winner so Emil Sayfutdinov in Gothenburg and Jason Crump in Copenhagen and Cardiff were the winners.

1st US$ 11,000

2nd US$ 8,200

3rd US$ 6,900

4th US$ 6,000.

5th US$ 5,250

6th US$ 5,100

7th US$ 4,650

8th US$ 4,500

9th US$ 3,850

10th US$ 3,700

11th US$ 3,650

12th US$ 3,600

13th US$ 3,550

14th US$ 3,500

15th US$ 3,450

16th US$ 3,400

17th US$ 2,100

18th US$ 2,100

Cheers Humph.

Prize money doesn't seem overly dangerous does it. Although that said I wonder what the average cost for a rider to compete per meeting is?

Also the GP's themselves can't be that cheap to run, and the revenues obtained with the exception of Uk may be poor.

Any figures out there re the above?

Although that said I wonder what the average cost for a rider to compete per meeting is?

I suppose it depends on the size of the entourage, and whether you factor in wages and equipment costs. However, just to get a rider and mechanic there, and stay in a hotel for three nights, I wouldn't think you'd get much change out of a grand.

Also the GP's themselves can't be that cheap to run, and the revenues obtained with the exception of Uk may be poor. Any figures out there re the above?

AFAIK, the GPs except those in Cardiff, Copenhagen and Gothenburg are run by local promoters who assume responsibility for the staging costs. Presumably these are very dependent on what arrangements they have with the stadiums (in some cases, the staging clubs may even own the stadium), what sort of crowd they attract (which determines stewarding, policing and catering requirements), how much they have to pay staff or not (wages are presumably much higher in Denmark than Latvia), the licence fee to be paid to BSI, and then how expensive it is to transport the FIM officials etc..

The likes of Prague, Latvia and Slovenia don't get great crowds (and they're suspiciously round figures), but they've been on the circuit for a while so presumably their overheads are not huge and covered by the gate money or other fund raising. With respect to the other tracks, there were rumours going around that the staging fee had to be reduced to attract venues, from which you might draw conclusions if those rumours were correct.

Interesting that IMG has lost the rights to the IPL from next season.

Guess by the lack of respone,it isn't that interesting.I haven't a clue what the "IPL" is and if IMG lost the rights to it or didn't particularly want the rights to it........or what significance it has to the SGP :unsure:

I have heard rumours of interest in staging a GP in Las Vegas. Preliminary of course, but man what a concept.