British Speedway Forum

Dream Come True For Some. Ole Is Going....

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be interesting................where would the extra meetings be though????????????? A second one in the UK?????????????

It's one thing to wish for expanded series, quite another to find viable venues. No doubt expansion to Russia, Australia, New Zealand and Asia will be postulated again, but who's going to pay for it, and when will league racing be fitted in? :rolleyes:

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

Torun, Lezno and Bydgoszcz, Poland.

Gothenburg and Mallila, Sweden.

Copenhagen and Vojens, Denmark.

Cardiff and Peterborough, UK.

Krysko, Slovenia.

Teranzano, Italian.

Daugavpils, Latvia.

Prague, Czech Republic.

Moscow, Russia.

German GP.

There is 15 there without going to Oz and that lot, and seems more realistic, 15 gp's means Eastbourne will be screwed for GP riders TBH.

Torun, Lezno and Bydgoszcz, Poland.

Gothenburg and Mallila, Sweden.

Copenhagen and Vojens, Denmark.

Cardiff and Peterborough, UK.

Krysko, Slovenia.

Teranzano, Italian.

Daugavpils, Latvia.

Prague, Czech Republic.

Moscow, Russia.

German GP.

There is 15 there without going to Oz and that lot, and seems more realistic, 15 gp's means Eastbourne will be screwed for GP riders TBH.

thats right but the only 4 new Gps that Ole mention in the article was Torun, Oz, NZ and Malaysia.

One of the important parts of the interview is this bit,i think...."Grand Prix are shown in 117 countries - and ultimately it is not inconceivable that the speedway go and become a year-round sport.

- The possibilities are there. It's just about to seize them, think Ole Olsen."

Whether it is possible to have the riders competing throughout the year i can't say.But i guess if tv back the plan then you could possibly see GP's being held in our winter,in Asia + Australasia :unsure:

Its really not possible for GP's in those countries, thats ridiculous, the fundings needed for both the fans and riders. Riders would have to pay for themselves, and 3 mechanics etc, so £700 a pop, thats a couple grand, then shipping 3 bikes over with vans, that aint gonna be cheap. Also, the time difference will take its toll on the rider, this means a GP on the saturday, the rider would have to leave the Sat Morning before that, get there on the Sunday, 2 days for jet lag, so by Wednesday would be back to normal. This will affect all the leagues, Poland, Sweden, Britain and Denmark, how is that fair. :blink:

Its really not possible for GP's in those countries, thats ridiculous, the fundings needed for both the fans and riders. Riders would have to pay for themselves, and 3 mechanics etc, so £700 a pop, thats a couple grand, then shipping 3 bikes over with vans, that aint gonna be cheap. Also, the time difference will take its toll on the rider, this means a GP on the saturday, the rider would have to leave the Sat Morning before that, get there on the Sunday, 2 days for jet lag, so by Wednesday would be back to normal. This will affect all the leagues, Poland, Sweden, Britain and Denmark, how is that fair. :blink:

Winter!!!! There won't be any European league fixtures affected :blink:

Grand Prix are shown in 117 countries

I find that very hard to believe. I've never seen the SGP shown or even advertised outside of a handful of countries, let alone over half the countries in the world. Perhaps the SGP highlights can in theory be accessed (via satellite) in that many countries, but I doubt there's any sort of audience.

But i guess if tv back the plan then you could possibly see GP's being held in our winter,in Asia + Australasia

Having extra rounds outside the European season sounds fine in theory, but I'm not sure the riders would really fancy racing an extended season, especially if they were twiddling their thumbs in-between rounds. If they're were on F1 wages perhaps, but not for a few dollars more. In addition, there would probably have to be a long gap between the last European round, and the first Asia-Pacific round as the seasons aren't really contiguous.

This is all quite aside from the fact there are already too many rounds, and adding another four would be a complete snoozefest. I'd could certainly see some milege in replacing existing rounds with GPs on other continents, but again, how will it all be paid for? :unsure:

Guest Ashie Smashy

I would rather they shorten the GP series to concentrate on creating better race tracks to provide better racing entertainement. Oh well, wha do I know.

I find that very hard to believe. I've never seen the SGP shown or even advertised outside of a handful of countries, let alone over half the countries in the world. Perhaps the SGP highlights can in theory be accessed (via satellite) in that many countries, but I doubt there's any sort of audience.

Having extra rounds outside the European season sounds fine in theory, but I'm not sure the riders would really fancy racing an extended season, especially if they were twiddling their thumbs in-between rounds. If they're were on F1 wages perhaps, but not for a few dollars more. In addition, there would probably have to be a long gap between the last European round, and the first Asia-Pacific round as the seasons aren't really contiguous.

This is all quite aside from the fact there are already too many rounds, and adding another four would be a complete snoozefest. I'd could certainly see some milege in replacing existing rounds with GPs on other continents, but again, how will it all be paid for? :unsure:

Eurosport alone covers: "Eurosport reaches 116 million homes across 59 countries in Europe, 22 million different viewers watch Eurosport every day"

"http://www.eurosportcorporate.com/index.php?target=12

Peterborough, UK.

Peterborough hasnt the facilities for a SGP - It struggled with the SWC with a que for the bar about 100 deep!

If they expand the series it needs to be at stadiums that can cope. The German one was a joke too with the daft process to get a drink from the bar with cards that had to be topped up!