British Speedway Forum

World Champions That Never Were

Snyper1010

2007 - Cardiff, GB

??? Chris Harris but after finishing on 12 points with three other riders he would have won the run off having at one point been trailing in last place. He would have left it late though passing his final opponent off the last bend!!! Fans of the old Grand Prix system would have been complaining bitterly though stating that Bomber would never finish in the top eight of a Grand Prix series let alone be World Champion.

??? Chris Harris but after finishing on 12 points with three other riders he would have won the run off having at one point been trailing in last place. He would have left it late though passing his final opponent off the last bend!!! Fans of the old Grand Prix system would have been complaining bitterly though stating that Bomber would never finish in the top eight of a Grand Prix series let alone be World Champion.

I hadn't thought of that. :shock: Yes, Chris Harris as 2007 World Champion. :unsure:

I introduced Cardiff in 2001, and then repeated it on a three-year rota, then added the other venues around that depending on which venues were in vogue at that particular time. I hadn't really looked into who won each meeting.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

In '93 probably, but not '92. That would have been Jonsson's year. TNT, how do you figure Ermolenko was better than Jonsson in '92 - he blantantly wasn't :wink:

Jonsson was without doubt a brilliant rider during that time, but Sam after his serious injuries was better than ever and in 92 and 93 he made the art of speedway look simple.

I seem to recall that when Per actually won the title in 1990, he was only averaging 8+ here and I think Gundersen was the same when he won his first 2 titles (but some of that was down to tape exclusions to lower his average ;) )

I seem to recall that when Per actually won the title in 1990, he was only averaging 8+ here and I think Gundersen was the same when he won his first 2 titles (but some of that was down to tape exclusions to lower his average ;) )

I think he was actually below 8. And that was including bonus points.

Hmm, not sure there's any fictional world I can conceive where Greg Hancock wouldn't have taken Bomber out to the fence rather than see him past on the final bend if a World title depended on it...!!! :rolleyes:

Hmm, not sure there's any fictional world I can conceive where Greg Hancock wouldn't have taken Bomber out to the fence rather than see him past on the final bend if a World title depended on it...!!! :rolleyes:

Do you actually understand anything about racing at all.

Are you really as stupid as your posts suggest or are you on one long wind up, either way you only serve to make yourself look more and more stupid with each passing post.

PS are you still struggling with the concept of family trees yet or have you grasped that two "unrelated" people are not two generations of the same family.

Are you really as stupid as your posts suggest or are you on one long wind up, either way you only serve to make yourself look more and more stupid with each passing post.

PS are you still struggling with the concept of family trees yet or have you grasped that two "unrelated" people are not two generations of the same family.

Hmm, and are you struggling with the concept of 'get a life'...!!? :rolleyes:

Ah I see you've been to that fictional world where you may have seen the likes of Nielsen taking out Rickardsson at Vojens in 1994 rather than let him past and Olsen taking out Penhall in key race at Wembley in 1981 :lol: .

Ah I see you've been to that fictional world where you may have seen the likes of Nielsen taking out Rickardsson at Vojens in 1994 rather than let him past and Olsen taking out Penhall in key race at Wembley in 1981 :lol: .

Hmm, well if you believe that IF a World title had depended on it, that Greg would have looked around to have a good look-see who it was on his tail and then what happened would have happened, then that's entirely up to you...

Personally I'd differ..

One thing for certain, Mr. Hancock would NOT have been all smiles on the rostrum if it had been a World title 'lost' on the final bend as opposed to a more or less meaningless GP round...! :rolleyes:

Which is why one can't really ever use a GP Round result to second guess what might have happened if that meeting had been a proper World Final... :neutral:

Hmm, well if you believe that IF a World title had depended on it, that Greg would have looked around to have a good look-see who it was on his tail and then what happened would have happened, then that's entirely up to you...

Personally I'd differ..

One thing for certain, Mr. Hancock would NOT have been all smiles on the rostrum if it had been a World title 'lost' on the final bend as opposed to a more or less meaningless GP round...! :rolleyes:

Which is why one can't really ever use a GP Round result to second guess what might have happened if that meeting had been a proper World Final... :neutral:

I had considered posting something about how much of a fool you really are but it is sufficient to merely highlight your last post and you have done it for me

I had considered posting something about how much of a fool you really are but it is sufficient to merely highlight your last post and you have done it for me

I think this has gone far enough on here. I UNDERSTOOD when I joined this Forum that you could attack the Post but NOT the Poster.

I like to read this Forum for enjoyment - not seeing people called names. Sometimes I agree with Parsloes1928 other times I don't - BUT - he has his views and he is ENTITLED to them - whether you like it or not.

Let's get back to what we ALL want and that is enjoy ourselves discussing Speedway and having a bit of banter. I don't think calling someone a fool is appropriate.

I think this has gone far enough on here. I UNDERSTOOD when I joined this Forum that you could attack the Post but NOT the Poster.

I like to read this Forum for enjoyment - not seeing people called names. Sometimes I agree with Parsloes1928 other times I don't - BUT - he has his views and he is ENTITLED to them - whether you like it or not.

Let's get back to what we ALL want and that is enjoy ourselves discussing Speedway and having a bit of banter. I don't think calling someone a fool is appropriate.

In the case of Derek it is highly appropiate

Dear Jeff, it's such a shame that you have turned what was a lighthearted thread, fantasising about what might have been, in to a completely uncalled for personal attack on Parsloes. We all have different views about what might or might not have happened under different circumstances. Who's to say you are any more right than he is? And who really cares anyway? This is not meant to be a serious discussion, so leave off and let's get back to what we are supposed to be discussing and allow people to put forward their views without fear of being called a fool just in case you happen to disagree with them.

Dear Jeff, it's such a shame that you have turned what was a lighthearted thread, fantasising about what might have been, in to a completely uncalled for personal attack on Parsloes. We all have different views about what might or might not have happened under different circumstances. Who's to say you are any more right than he is? And who really cares anyway? This is not meant to be a serious discussion, so leave off and let's get back to what we are supposed to be discussing and allow people to put forward their views without fear of being called a fool just in case you happen to disagree with them.

Norman I disagree with many people but respect their opinions, Derek is so one eyed that the bile he comes out with isn't worthy of any other response.

He has some hare brained notion that Hancock let Harris past in the 2007 final, and yet I could cite hundreds of similar last, or first, bends in World Finals where a rider has attempted to block an outside run only for the chasing rider to change direction and ride by.

Equally because Hancock is smiling on the rostrum seems to prove he didn't care about winning, but with a few exceptions, all World Final rostrums were of smiling riders.

No I am afraid Derek is no more than a fool who understands little about racing.

You're OK though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I asked the question "are you really as stupid as your posts suggest"? I didnt expect you would answer in the affermative in your very next post.

No I am afraid Derek is no more than a fool who understands little about racing.

Is it really necessary to keep repeating the same insults? Is there something wrong with you?

This post is spot on, I also like to read other peoples opinions and sometimes post my own.Abuse is not welcome

Ian, be careful. since i have yer back beware hear tell he is an expert mixed martial arts fighter with a hair trigger. he is a real deal bilge rat, and my back has been killin me lately and my fighting skills have diminished over the years so beware. i mean, i still have yer back and all, but its mainly because you have a nice boat. :lol:

Edited by sandman

This post is spot on, I also like to read other peoples opinions and sometimes post my own.Abuse is not welcome

aww, p*ss off.. :wink::lol:

Edited by sandman

Ian, be careful. since i have yer back beware hear tell he is an expert mixed martial arts fighter with a hair trigger. he is a real deal bilge rat, and my back has been killin me lately and my fighting skills have diminished over the years so beware. i mean, i still have yer back and all, but its mainly because you have a nice boat. :lol:

Sandman, as Paul Newman memorably remarked to Robert Redford in The Sting, "You're a real horse's ass!"

It just seems a pity that the rancour which seems to have pervaded so many other parts of this forum has now found its way onto the "Years Gone By" section. There was a time when those of us who enjoy wallowing in nostalgia could do so without that sort of thing.