British Speedway Forum

World Champions That Never Were

Snyper1010

And i think Paris would have had a good chance of a GP.It was running it's [sic, tut tut, Doug] ]own World Final during the 30s.

Stan Greatrex won the 1935 Dutch Championship with Nobby Key in 2nd place. They were regular visitors in 1934 and 5. So perhaps Holland could have had a GP as well.

Stan Greatrex won the 1935 Dutch Championship with Nobby Key in 2nd place. They were regular visitors in 1934 and 5. So perhaps Holland could have had a GP as well.

:oops:

Sorry Norbold.It was early.But yes i agree at the time speedway was more cosmopolitan than the period just after the war and into the 50s.Not really sure when Poland got into speedway in a big way though.But Morian Hansen showed that the continentals could get amongst the points and speedway was being held in big stadiums in big cities to large crowds.Like i mentioned before somewhere,the Hamburg Dirt Track was the venue for the largest ever crowd at a European boxing match,when Max Schmeling fought there.

1977 was certainly PC's year but he was also dominant in '76 - including beating Mauger in the Inter-Continental Final: PC beating Mauger in a Wembley run-off as he had in '74 too.. Ivan's deluding himself to think he was the best rider in the world in '76..: he knows he 100% certainly wasn't in '77 and so thinks that he can theorise about '76 and get away with it... he can't!! :rolleyes:

I know we're not there yet but to me GP wise, it would've been Michanek in '73; too close to call between Michanek & PC in '74; and then a shoo-in for Collins in '75 through to '78.

Whilst PC is very much up there in 1976 and 1977, there's no way he would have trumphed in '74, '75 or '78.

1978 is Olsen's most dominant year, whilst 1974 is probably Mauger maybe Michanek, and 1975 is a toss-up between Mauger, Olsen and maybe Phil Crump for the mechanical advantage that Grachan has mentioned (although I don't Crump would have been in the '75 series).

Of course, we should not completely dismiss Malcolm Simmons from the equation. His best season was 1976. I think Peter Collins would have won in '76, but would have had Mauger and Simmons breathing down his neck.

All the best

Rob

Right, we've leapt forward a bit but I think it's time for people to nail their colours to the mast for 1964-1878. My own choices are:

1964 - Bjorn Knutsson

1965 - Igor Plechanov

1966 - Barry Briggs

1967 - Barry Briggs

1968 - Ivan Mauger

1969 - Ivan Mauger

1970 - Ivan Mauger

1971 - Ivan Mauger

1972 - Ole Olsen

1973 - Ivan Mauger

1974 - Ivan Mauger

1975 - Ivan Mauger

1976 - Peter Collins

1977 - Ole Olsen

1978 - Ole Olsen

All the best

Rob

Interesting theory about Crump not even being in the 75 series.He was out injured in 73,but did comeback for the 73/74 Aussie season.But his scores against the British Lions were nothing to shout about and he didn't win the Aussie Championship.So maybe he would have missed out in the 74 quali series :unsure: He flunked it in the British semi final that year big time

I think I would agree with that except maybe Briggs in 1964, which would leave Plechanov with nothing but there you go...the nearly man of World Championships and of GPs! Also I would go for Collins in 77 instead of Olsen.

Norbold - just to confirm, I had Plechanov for '65 not '64. If you have Briggs for '64, who do you have for '65?

All the best

Rob

Whilst PC is very much up there in 1976 and 1977, there's no way he would have trumphed in '74, '75 or '78.

In '74 PC won both the Internationale and the European Final - both world class fields at least as good as the final in Gothenberg where he didn't do so well.

In '75 only some muppets invading the Wembley track to go mad with a hosepipe denied him a proper crack at Olsen in that WF - over a series he'd have been a definite threat.

And in '78 the sugar' put in his tank in the British Final meant he didn't qualify for the Final: a tragedy and a disgrace..

As for you keep saying he wouldn't have won in '77 - that's bananas. PC was head and shoulders best in the world in '77..

Jumping ahead a little bit

1981 Bruce Penhall

1982 Bruce Penhall

1983 ... ? (Hans Nielsen)

1984 Hans Nielsen

1985 Hans Nielsen

1986 Hans Nielsen

1987 Hans Nielsen

1988 Hans Nielsen

1989 Hans Nielsen

1990 Hans Nielsen

1991 Hans Nielsen

1992 Sam Ermolenko

1993 Sam Ermolenko

1994 Hans Nielsen

1995 Hans Nielsen

Anyone disagree ;)

Edited by T.N.T.

1981 Bruce Penhall

1982 Bruce Penhall

1984 Hans Nielsen

1985 Hans Nielsen

1986 Hans Nielsen

1987 Hans Nielsen

1988 Hans Nielsen

1989 Hans Nielsen

1990 Hans Nielsen

1991 Hans Nielsen

1992 Sam Ermolenko

1993 Sam Ermolenko

1994 Hans Nielsen

1995 Hans Nielsen

Anyone disagree ;)

Maybe Hans Neilsen in 92 and 93?

1981 Bruce Penhall

1982 Bruce Penhall

1984 Hans Nielsen

1985 Hans Nielsen

1986 Hans Nielsen

1987 Hans Nielsen

1988 Hans Nielsen

1989 Hans Nielsen

1990 Hans Nielsen

1991 Hans Nielsen

1992 Sam Ermolenko

1993 Sam Ermolenko

1994 Hans Nielsen

1995 Hans Nielsen

Anyone disagree ;)

Yep!!!!

1980 Lee

1981 Penhall, awesome display of riding.

1982 Collins Les, very unlucky with the carter penhall rerun incident, plus he won the earlier intercontinental round.

1983 Sanders, Muller only won because of a doctored Norden track (well thats what my dad said!!! :lol: ).

1984 Gunder the wonder, you bet ya!!!!

1985 Shawn Moran, won both Overseas and intercontinental finals, then made a balls of it at Odsal :cry:

1986 Tommy Knudsen, knocked off by Nielsen (granted the main dane deserved a bit of luck, but he sure got it here!!!).

1987 Hans Nielsen

1988 Erik again!!!!

1989 Hans Nielsen

1990 Per Johnsson, sorry about spelling!!!!

THAT ENOUGH FOR NOW, MY FINGERS ARE HURTING!!!!!! :lol:

Well clearly not with '95 coz that was the first year of the GPs: and Nielsen did indeed win!!! :rolleyes::wink:

Ah, but would he have won if it had been a one-off World Final?

1981 Bruce Penhall

1982 Bruce Penhall

1984 Hans Nielsen

1985 Hans Nielsen

1986 Hans Nielsen

1987 Hans Nielsen

1988 Hans Nielsen

1989 Hans Nielsen

1990 Hans Nielsen

1991 Hans Nielsen

1992 Sam Ermolenko

1993 Sam Ermolenko

1994 Hans Nielsen

1995 Hans Nielsen

Anyone disagree ;)

Well, since we're racing ahead, I reckon:

1979 - Michael Lee (and yes he would have been in it. In fact, he had an outstnading 1977 season and would have qualified for the 1978 GP series).

1980 - Dave Jessup

1981 - Bruce Penhall

1982 - either Bruce Penhall or Kenny Carter - discuss ;)

1983 - no outstanding candidate, probably Hans Nielsen but I could be persuaded elsewhere on this one

1984 - Erik Gundersen - IMO, this was his best year and I think it unthinkable that Erik wouldn't have won a single GP series

1985 - Hans Nielsen (Nielsen stepped up his game even further this season)

1986 - Hans Nielsen

1987 - Hans Nielsen

1988 - Hans Nielsen

1989 - Hans Nielsen

1990 - Hans Nielsen (Actually not Hans's best year by a long shot, I think Gundersen's accident was on his mind, but who else could have won a GP series this season? There isn't anyone!)

1991 - Jan O. Pedersen

1992 - Per Jonsson

1993 - Hans Nielsen (remember lay-downs would be allowed in the GP series and Ermolenko didn't have one :wink: )

1994 - Hans Nielsen

Sorry TNT, but I can't see Ermolenko ever taking a GP series. In Ermolenko's best domestic season (1993), Nielsen would have had the advanatage of being on lay-downs. Nielsen looked the fastest rider at the '93 World Final by quite a way.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

Well, since we're racing ahead, I reckon:

1979 - Michael Lee (and yes he would have been in it. In fact, he had an outstnading 1977 season and would have qualified for the 1978 GP series).

1980 - Dave Jessup

1981 - Bruce Penhall

1982 - either Bruce Penhall or Kenny Carter - discuss ;)

1983 - no outstanding candidate, probably Hans Nielsen but I could be persuaded elsewhere on this one

1984 - Erik Gundersen - IMO, this was his best year and I think it unthinkable that Erik wouldn't have won a single GP series

1985 - Hans Nielsen (Nielsen stepped up his game even further this season)

1986 - Hans Nielsen

1987 - Hans Nielsen

1988 - Hans Nielsen

1989 - Hans Nielsen

1990 - Hans Nielsen (Actually not Hans's best year by a long shot, I think Gundersen's accident was on his mind, but who else could have won a GP series this season? There isn't anyone!)

1991 - Jan O. Pedersen

1992 - Per Jonsson

1993 - Hans Nielsen (remember lay-downs would be allowed in the GP series and Ermolenko didn't have one :wink: )

1994 - Hans Nielsen

Sorry TNT, but I can't see Ermolenko ever taking a GP series. In Ermolenko's best domestic season (1993), Nielsen would have had the advanatage of being on lay-downs. Nielsen looked the fastest rider at the '93 World Final by quite a way.

All the best

Rob

1983 was sort of between eras, Penhall had gone, Olsen, Mauger, Collins etc were well past there sell by dates. On the other hand the Nielsen Gundersen domination hadn't really begun.

The man likely to have succeeded that year was probably Billy Sanders

1983 was sort of between eras, Penhall had gone, Olsen, Mauger, Collins etc were well past there sell by dates. On the other hand the Nielsen Gundersen domination hadn't really begun.

The man likely to have succeeded that year was probably Billy Sanders

I'm not convinced at all regarding Sanders in '83. Other than second place in Norden, what else did he do that year? There's more of a case, I would say, for Nielsen, Gundersen, Lee, Sigalos or maybe Carter.

I'm not sure whether a GP series would have suited Carter or not. He had a habit of going to pieces at a vital time, and I don't think that would help in either a World Final OR a GP series. Although in 1982, it's arguable that he could have got into such a situation where it wasn't that tight. But had Penhall stayed with him with '82, he would have nailed Carter in the final couple of rounds as the Englishman went to pieces.

Another tricky year is '79. Olsen and Collins both dipped in form that season, and Mauger had one last great season, but could he have kept it up all season in a GP series at the age of 39? In the end, I plumped for Lee, who in many ways, rode better in '79 than he did in '80.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam