British Speedway Forum

Speedway Museum - Thanks!

ianmartin

A couple of weeks ago I enjoyed a visit to the Speedway Museum at Paradise Wildlife Park. I feel I must congratulate ALL the people involved for a wonderful facility presenting virtually a full HISTORY of our wonderful Sport of Speedway..

The memories evoked were in some ways very sad for me. My Club, Sunderland closed back in 1974 - but - how nice it was to see a Poster had been put up to at least show that Sunderland were part of Speedway's GREAT history.

The old Speedway Bikes from pre-war up to Jason Crumps Bike of today. Peter Craven (one of my heroes), Gary Havelock from my current Club Redcar 'Bears', Terry Stone - President of the WSRA - former Rayleigh 'Rocket' who actually rode at Sunderland all those years ago. Ivan Mauger (rode in 19 Races at Sunderland and won the lot), Bert Harkins, 'Banger' Jansson, Steve Wilcock - ahh the Memories.

Also nice to see the Vic Harding Memorial Meeting Race Jacket (another former Sunderland Rider) hanging up with SO many Club Race Jackets from yesteryear.

Thank you for a superb experience.

I WOULD RECOMMEND A VISIT - I GUARANTEE THAT YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.

• Like 1

A couple of weeks ago I enjoyed a visit to the Speedway Museum at Paradise Wildlife Park. I feel I must congratulate ALL the people involved for a wonderful facility presenting virtually a full HISTORY of our wonderful Sport of Speedway..

The memories evoked were in some ways very sad for me. My Club, Sunderland closed back in 1974 - but - how nice it was to see a Poster had been put up to at least show that Sunderland were part of Speedway's GREAT history.

The old Speedway Bikes from pre-war up to Jason Crumps Bike of today. Peter Craven (one of my heroes), Gary Havelock from my current Club Redcar 'Bears', Terry Stone - President of the WSRA - former Rayleigh 'Rocket' who actually rode at Sunderland all those years ago. Ivan Mauger (rode in 19 Races at Sunderland and won the lot), Bert Harkins, 'Banger' Jansson, Steve Wilcock - ahh the Memories.

Also nice to see the Vic Harding Memorial Meeting Race Jacket (another former Sunderland Rider) hanging up with SO many Club Race Jackets from yesteryear.

Glad you enjoyed your visit to the Museum, Ian, it's nice to have positive feedback (we welcome any comments, good or bad) and I hope that you will make the journey down from "Sunny Sunderland" again sometime as the exhibits are always changing.

The next stage is to extend the Museum by moving one of the walls out and hopefully this will be ready in time for NEXT year's High Beech 'Celebration of Speedway' at the Park in February 2010.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ian I am pleased the race jacket that I loaned to the Museum is on display and that you enjoyed seeing it. The race jacket was worn by Bobby Garrad in the 1980 VHM event and is signed by him on the back.

See my tribute to Vic Harding on the Canvey Island website with a great action photo of Vic riding for Sunderland in 1974; feel free to leave comments.

http://www.canveyisland.org/page_id__429_path__0p22p.aspx

Must try to get back to the Speedway Museum and see how it has come on!

Edited by Brian L

Ian I am pleased the race jacket that I loaned to the Museum is on display and that you enjoyed seeing it. The race jacket was worn by Bobby Garrad in the VHM event and is signed by him on the back.

See my tribute to Vic Harding on the Canvey Island website with a great action photo of Vic riding for Sunderland in 1974; feel free to leave comments.

http://www.canveyisland.org/page_id__429_path__0p22p.aspx

Must try to get back to the Speedway Museum and see how it has come on!

Brian - that REALLY is a fantastic photograph. Vic was a super lad who did not deserve what fate handed out. I can still remember talking to him at a pre-Season get together. One of the main things I DO remember is that he ALWAYS had time to talk to Supporters. A lovely Lad sadly missed. R.I.P. + Vic

• 3 months later...

The Museum was the brainchild of the World Speedway Riders' Association. They approached the former rider and owner of Paradise Wildlife Park, Peter Sampson. Peter was an accomplished Speedway rider in the 1960’s and he rode for teams such as Rayleigh, Hackney, Rye House, Swindon and Newcastle. So when the idea of creating a Speedway Museum was suggested, Peter kindly offered it a home at Paradise.

This museum project wouldn't have been possible without the World Speedway Riders' Association, Peter Sampson, plus the many Speedway fans around the country who contributed to raise funds for building the museum and we thank them all, including George and Linda Barclay for their fund raising efforts. George and Linda played a key role in establishing The Speedway Museum.

The Speedway Museum is proud to have a number of former Speedway World Champions as life Vice Presidents. These are currently: Barry Briggs, Freddie Williams, Ivan Mauger, Ronnie Moore and Michael Lee.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

<b>I WOULD RECOMMEND A VISIT - I GUARANTEE THAT YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED.</b>

This sounds excellent!!!

• 5 years later...

Dropped in to the museum on the way home from Stansted. I was really impressed with what was in there but surprised there was not more memorabilia from the speedway teams but nevertheless seeing pictures, bikes and old programmes brought back good memories.The museum was closed and the keyholder had to be found. The holder was a certain Bert Harkins, who proceeded to give us a guided personal tour. What a great bloke, thanks Bert for the pleasure of your company and hearing your experiences :-)

• 6 months later...