British Speedway Forum

Slovenian Gp, Krsko 12.9.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After watching this Showpiece Speedway Grand Prix anyone thinking of going to see a speedway meeting must have been totally convinced that the whole thing was utterly boring and put them off for life. I dont know if Ole is to blame but last years meet produced excellent racing till about halfway through when rain ruined a perfectly good track. SKY are trying very hard to give speedway airtime as well as floging TV packages but this was a prime example of how not to promote the sport. It kinda makes F1 look good viewing. :mad:

Three hours and ten minutes of my life I'll never get back. Even the studio are now finally voicing the 'B' word with the rest of us. Only entertainment was notching up the number of times Mullard said 'disappointing' or 'disappointed' - 37 in all :lol:

Just pray Terenzano provides some excitement. What odds on Sky Football Sports switching that one to the red channel again? I mean, there's just not enough ball sports on TV these days, is there? :rolleyes:

The start tarts are worth watching :rolleyes:

Too right! I normally just ignore them as an irrelevance but this bunch had personality and were out to entertain.

Apart from that it was a dire meeting and sadly not the first one this year.

We keep getting told that shrinking the BEL fixture list will work because "less can be more". Isn't it time to take a similar view about the GP circus given the consistently appalling quality of racing at several circuits clearly chosen solely on political grounds? Still it gives the FIM 'dignitaries' plenty of foreign travel and some very good meals.

With Jason Crump so far ahead, and good luck to him, it doesn't even make the scores interesting.

Once about this time of year we used to gather in places like Wembley, Ullevi and the Slaski stadia to share the tension of a one-off world final. Now we get an endless procession of dull meetings wrapped up in hype with the champion normally decided weeks before the end of the series. At best only a handful have a chance after the opening few meetings. Still the sport has moved on many will say - right into a brick wall others may say... It wouldn't be so bad if most of the meetings weren't so dull. Those who were cut off at heat 8 tonight by Sky were really the lucky ones.

Rob McCaffery.

Well, the grid girls were absolutely stunning anyway, best looking quartet of the year! (Yes, in this case, I'll admit to being sexist!) :rolleyes:

And at the risk of earning the wrath of all you men out there -I thought blue looked like a fella. :rolleyes:

I thought it mightily unfair that Nicholls was given the nod over Zagar tonight. The rules being quoted were that it goes down to the race jacket number - the lower number gets the place. If this is indeed the case, then it's really not fair on any wild card because they will always have the number 16 race jacket. I was convinced that Zagar had got the semi-final spot because when you ran through both their races, they had exactly the same wins, seconds, and lasts - but Zagar beat Nicholls in their heat.

Apart from that it was pretty so-so. How Hancock managed to not knock off Bjerre is beyond me, and I gave Gollob 5.9 for artistic value for his rolling over after his crash. I couldn't believe that Pedersen blamed just about everyone except for race director and himself for his accident. The man's a fool.

Surely we are now in the twilight era in the life of Grand Prixs. With three Gps to go everyone knows Jason Crump will be the winner. How can you have proper meetings when the inside gates completly dominate the meeting, and it's not the first GP to do so. Sky are showing their lask of interest in Speedway with the red button farce. How long now when they start showing recording's of these meetings.

Let's get rid of the GP's and get back to the old world championships one off finals. Lets get back to Saturday night speedway in Britain like it used to be and get the crowds back Grand Prix's have been the worst thing that has happened to British Speedway and no clubs benefit from these meetings. The sooner they are gone the better.

about the track, Swedish commentators said that they put new dirt on the track about a month ago

and that the new dirt is almost like pea gravel very loose and very heavy which means that the engines

will struggle when the bike hits the dirt.

They also said that there are rumours that Krsko might be replaced with a GP in Croatia and that the Latvian GP also was

hanging loose.

Let's get rid of the GP's and get back to the old world championships one off finals. Lets get back to Saturday night speedway in Britain like it used to be and get the crowds back Grand Prix's have been the worst thing that has happened to British Speedway and no clubs benefit from these meetings. The sooner they are gone the better.

A lovely sentiment. But it will never happen, not now. We have had more than 10 years of GPs, and we will never go back to the one-off meetings. Saturday night speedway is also a thing of the past. At Swindon we have had to get used to Thursdays because the GRA who own the stadium want that night for the dogs -which has happened at nearly all the GRA owned stadia. It's sad, it's annoying, but it's a fact of life and the sooner we all get used to it, the better.

Seems little point in bothering with my Sky + recording in the morning. GP's are simply awful these days and not worth watching.

Such a shame the organisers didn't get trousers that didn't have the hems held up with pins (Miss Blue) or advertising peedway.com (Miss White aka Miss short legs).

They did provide more entertainment in our house than the racing (?) as we tried to predict who Paulco would favour :wink:

Such a shame that Miss Blue had Shergar's teeth in........ :blink::lol:

Just go straight to about HT18 Frigbo...;)

Cheers Rabs, that'll save the Missus moaning at me about "crappy Speedway"

A lovely sentiment. But it will never happen, not now. We have had more than 10 years of GPs, and we will never go back to the one-off meetings. Saturday night speedway is also a thing of the past. At Swindon we have had to get used to Thursdays because the GRA who own the stadium want that night for the dogs -which has happened at nearly all the GRA owned stadia. It's sad, it's annoying, but it's a fact of life and the sooner we all get used to it, the better.

That may be the case at Swindon but ask the fans of Berwick, Rye House, Stoke, Workington and next year it seems Leicester. The trick seems to be to run meetings that don't involve GP riders.

Of course Saturday night speedway is viable - if you remove the parasitical GP system.

Rob McCaffery.

Apart from the brilliant Sayfutdinov, the meeting was a complete joke really. Where they gated they virtually stayed and only bold moves like Gollob on Emil and Nicki in the final was going to get you anywhere. Emil was brilliant again, doesn't matter where the line is, he went for it and deserved a 24 point maximum.

Heats 1 - 12 ..... all won from gate one ... except heat 4 when Emil (yellow) passsed Lindgren (red) down the back straight

After the interval, the inside lane wasn't working and only heats 17 + 18 provided winners with heat 18 a race with four riders that were already out anyway. Then the semi-finals take place and again gate one wins both and suprisingly, Emil chooses Blue for the final !!!

Holta (red) was winning until the big clash with Nicki / Gollob and Emil got a second chance.

Ole Olsen has done a brilliant job with the GP's but if he is race director, surely that more like Clerk of the Course who at tracks ensures this are running right, but the trackmen are the ones entrusted to do the track .... so why should Olsen get involved.

If the weathers bad, you can understand sometimes the track being a bit different, but when there is no excuse, the track should be prepared to provide racing on and this season they may as well have Scaletrix sponsor some of the meetings.

Get Doc Bridgett and a few good track men together, get the tracks sorted and speedway may just be exciting to watch on TV and not have to rely on a 19 year-old paper boy going hell for leather to provide any real racing at all.

I personally would not waste spending loads of money going to GP’s, until you can guarantee that there is some dirt on the track to let the world’s best riders race, and show off their skills.

How long will it be before Sky TV and other companies get bored, with showing GP speedway due to the lack of action. Can’t the organisers see that they are shooting themselves in the foot by producing race circuits like last night’s Slovenian GP. With no TV coverage, the sponsors could soon follow.

Well i got to watch this on the livestream on a laptop & the commentary was Polish so we didn't have to listen to Millard's waffle. :approve:In fact Cegielski & Dobrucki made more sense than Millard. :lol:

The meet itself was a bore apart from the incidents which gave us something to talk about, little Kenny Bjerre is so lucky that bike didn't smash his head to bits & top marks to Emil for avoiding Greg. Nicky could really have no argument on the Gollob incident now could he? :rolleyes:

Watching on the laptop was a different experience indeed, & 5 of us in a tiny room was........... well, interesting :wink::lol:

Edited by colincooke