British Speedway Forum

Hmm..

I'm from Belfast, and have certainly never referred to myself as being part of the united kingdom of great britain and northern ireland. We'd certainly say Britain but not the Great bit.

I realise that GB is only the mainland, but still, was a bizarre thing for someone to post imo.

You would be correct to refer to yourself as British but Northern Ireland is not part of Britain (great or otherwise)

Despite the cobblers that snyper, or whatever his name is, posts it is entirely correct that the ACU representative side is referred to as Great Britain irrespective of where the participants do or do not come from.

It is like suggesting if they all hail from Sheffield that the team should be called Yorkshire.

Personally I think it is simple.

If we had gone into the meeting with Nicholls, Richardson etc, riders who, with all will in the world have reached their level and are on the way down if anything. We would still have finished third, putting ourselves in the same situation we are already in. The way it has been done however has helped our up and coming lads get valuable experience at one of the highest levels. Come the run-off, we probably will see the older guard back in, whether this will get us to the final or not is debateable, if I was in charge however, i'd stick with the young lads, let them have a go, who knows what they could do.

Wise words RocketBen1 - the experience for the young lads would be invaluable. :approve:

It's ok our younguns getting experience in the WTC but it doesn't really amount to much on the world stage, a possible 3 meetings I mean, so let's hope the long term plans involve some test matches on the big tracks in GB? Would the public support them though, would SKY be interested in televising them, could they be fitted in?

A great idea trees, bring back The Ashes at top level as well as where we see it now, bring the russians over here, the poles as well, back in the 70's we seen that every year.

but also, i'd like to see these youngsters touring as well , in Poland, Sweden, Australia in the winter.

This is the best way they can learn.

hyberd incase you noticed all i ever hear in interviews with your "team GB" is England, England, fecking England. So dont give me the pish.

Wish you would change the record.....from what i remember it was mostly the foreign riders refering to England....zagar and Crump from memory.And mostly that is how teams are percieved by foreigners.They will refer to England when really it is Britain.They will post results from the English Final when they mean British Final.So get over it.It is extremely unlikely i would imagine that you are going to persuade other morotcycle disciplines to break away from the ACU and form a Scottish motorcycle union allied to the FIM,because in other types of motorbike disciplines there are no teams are there?But you can always try and make that you aim.Should keep you busy for quite a while :rolleyes::lol:

hyberd incase you noticed all i ever hear in interviews with your "team GB" is England, England, fecking England. So dont give me the pish.

Maybe they say England England England, because they are English riders representing Team GB,at Wimbledon a certain A Murray was the Scottish Tennis Player representing GB, but referred to by commentators as Scottish.

Iris its not the foreign riders saying it that bothers me. It isnt even the English riders saying it. Its when people start insisting that we all get behind them etc and call me many names that i have been called for not supporting them.

Snapper when have i EVER said anything about N.I being in Britain? you really do make it up as you go along.

Iris its not the foreign riders saying it that bothers me. It isnt even the English riders saying it. Its when people start insisting that we all get behind them etc and call me many names that i have been called for not supporting them.

Snapper when have i EVER said anything about N.I being in Britain? you really do make it up as you go along.

You speak for yourself Snyper . Some of us Scots are right behind Team GB and were proud of the young lads last night . The team spirit Rob Lyon has instilled was wonderful .

Oh and Ulster is part of the United Kingdom .