British Speedway Forum

Backtrack Question

Guest Ashie Smashy

We're Speedway fans Randy - of course we remember you!

Just to put my 2p's worth into the debate. I have been a subscriber since Issue 1 and always look forward to each new copy. Like all magazines there are going to be some features you prefer more than others and I have to say I wasn't taken by the recent one on the American riders as I felt it tried to cover to many riders and therefore spread itself too thinly. I feel riders like Sigalos, Cook and the Morans were probably worthy of Main Man features in their own right, though I appreciate it would be difficult to conduct interviews with them now they are back over the pond.

I particularly enjoy reading about the more unsung riders form the Backtrack era and sometimes the stories they tell are more interesting than those told by the more media-exposed stars of that time. Look forward to seeing the changes in the next issue and will be interesting to read the rider columns.

Long may Backtrack thrive!

PS would like to see the quizzes come back.

Edited by salty

Hi I only came to the website to have a look after someone gave me a copy of the magazine by chance, as I am in England for a few days.

I saw this thread and was really surprised at some people whining over the content at the minimal cost of the magazine.

I rode speedway for a short time in England and no one will remember me and due to my lifestyle I dont remember much at all about my time, but it was really good to see the magazine all about the other Americans who rode.

Please carry on with the magazine and dont let small minded and obviously very mean people like JC! ruin it.

Well I for one remember you riding Randy during your brief spell (6 league matches?) with Dave Pavitt in control and John Louis team manager at Hackney in 1987 - sheesh 22 years ago! Sure you can remember riding alongside the late, great Wiggy, Malcolm Simmons, Allan Johanssen, Alan Mogridge, Andy Galvin and Mark Loram? Good to know you're still alive and kicking and who was the guy with you in those days? Wasn't it Carl Blomfeldt?

Don't worry about those who whine on here - there's a lot of them! Give me a ring on 07774 935468 if you get a chance - I'm seeing Dave Pavitt tonight (Tuesday) and Thursday all being well.

Cheers

Bryn Williams

Edited by Bryn

I am horrified by the criticism of 'BackTrack'. It is a superb production to those of us who supported Speedway during the years covered by the Magazine. Rod Haynes contributions are GREAT and if you e-mail him he actually replies. Granted the Headliners have been largely covered now - but - there are still loads of other Riders in whom a lot of people would be interested. I enjoyed the piece on Preben Eriksen

It's not often these days that something comes along that is actually worth the money you pay for it. In my opinion BackTrack is a first class Magazine, professionally produced on quality paper. I think it is EXTREMELY good value.

Let me say that BackTrack and Classic Speedway are eagerly awaited by myself when they are due to be delivered.

On the PDF debate - it would NOT remotely interest me. There is nothing like handling the real thing, relaxing in an armchair, a cup of coffee and a jolly good read. I have ALL the BackTracks since Issue One - I love to go back and read some articles again.

Don't lose heart Tony - the Magazine is BRILLIANT - can't wait for the next one.

On the PDF debate - it would NOT remotely interest me. There is nothing like handling the real thing, relaxing in an armchair, a cup of coffee and a jolly good read. I have ALL the BackTracks since Issue One - I love to go back and read some articles again.

Don't lose heart Tony - the Magazine is BRILLIANT - can't wait for the next one.

Same here, anyone know when the next issue is due?...

Issue 33 is being printed now and should be ready to be mailed out to subscribers at the end of this week.

Thanks to MM and others for all your kind words of support.

Tony,

The Mag is great i have read every issue dont PDF it like the speedwayplus mag i like my hard copy and if it was £5.00 i would still buy it :)

Backtrack is a superb magazine and excellent value for money.

Well worth my yearly subscription, which is peanuts in the big scheme of things.

I have every edition they've produced so far and is one the few magazines that I ever keep and put in binders.

The Backtrack era covers my boom years and favourite riders, so I wouldn't be without it.

Edited by AndyP

Issue 33 is being printed now and should be ready to be mailed out to subscribers at the end of this week.

Good Stuff!

Thanks to MM and others for all your kind words of support.

No probs just calling it as I see it, as is is everyone I imagine....

Backtrack is a fantastic magazine. I"m not old enough to know the era personally. However the history of the sport intrigues me. More stuff about defunct tracks would be great. I don't want the quizes back, I can't answer any of them. I subscribe to backtrack to learn stuff, not to be tested on stuff that was before my time.

Keep up the good work Tony. Every two months your magazine brightens up my day and makes my girlfriend roll her eyes and say something derogatory to me. It normally ends with the word nerd or geek after something along the lines of "what did I ever see in you" type statement. In the two months between issues we get on just fine. :rolleyes:

Backtrack is a fantastic magazine. I"m not old enough to know the era personally. However the history of the sport intrigues me. More stuff about defunct tracks would be great. I don't want the quizes back, I can't answer any of them. I subscribe to backtrack to learn stuff, not to be tested on stuff that was before my time.

Keep up the good work Tony. Every two months your magazine brightens up my day and makes my girlfriend roll her eyes and say something derogatory to me. It normally ends with the word nerd or geek after something along the lines of "what did I ever see in you" type statement. In the two months between issues we get on just fine. :rolleyes:

CLASSIC!! :lol::lol::lol:

Guest Ashie Smashy
I'll not allow the negative feedback of a few posters on here to dampen my enthusiasm for producing what clearly appeals to the thousands who do continue to support us.

Hi TMC,

I really hope you don't count my original suggestion to be negative, it was not meant that way at all, merely a constructive suggestion which you have reviewed and upon reflection decided not to go that way which is fine. But my suggestion was not negative at all.

I understood that Tony wanted genuine opinions rather than the sycophantic replies of Ian Martin, Richard Tyrell etc.

Clearly I was wrong, but I fail to see the point of asking for opinion if in reality you only want to hear that the whole world thinks the mag is great.

The magazine quality is excellent and the price is more than reasonable, I just felt the content may be lacking slightly due to its restricted era and in its current format the bottom of the barrell will soon be reached

I really hope you don't count my original suggestion to be negative, it was not meant that way at all, merely a constructive suggestion which you have reviewed and upon reflection decided not to go that way which is fine. But my suggestion was not negative at all.

Yours was a fair question - not a negastive one. I wasn't referring to you!

I understood that Tony wanted genuine opinions rather than the sycophantic replies of Ian Martin, Richard Tyrell etc.

Clearly I was wrong, but I fail to see the point of asking for opinion if in reality you only want to hear that the whole world thinks the mag is great.

The magazine quality is excellent and the price is more than reasonable, I just felt the content may be lacking slightly due to its restricted era and in its current format the bottom of the barrell will soon be reached

I do welcome genuine opinions - good or bad - and you are, of course, entitled to yours, just as everyone else is. Doesn't mean that I will agree with it, though! Just think you are completely wrong with your 'bottom of the barrel' style comments because there is still a great deal of ground for us to cover within our existing timescale of 1970-90, without the need to extend it.

You mention your interest in defunct tracks. Hopefully, if you decide to buy the latest issue, you will particularly enjoy the start of our new Bob Radford's Travels feature, where he reviews the venues he visited during the period. Martin Neal has also visited and photographed all eight past and present venues of Glasgow Speedway as part of our Scottish special.

We've appointed two new star name columnists in Malcolm Simmons and Bruce Penhall. Simmo, as expected, has plenty of very forthright things to say about the state of speedway today compared to his time. Bruce will be dealing with his feud with Kenny Carter in his second column.

I wouldn't describe those you have mentioned as sychophantic. They happen to like Backtrack and have simply said so as their kind way of supporting and endorsing what we try to do. It's always nice to hear that we are appreciated and makes it all worthwhile.

I rather resent the fact that I have been called a sycophant - since when was being HONEST being sycophantic. I give my OPINIONS and my (RE)VIEWS as I see them - if I dislike something - more often than not I won't comment for fear of hurting the person concerned. However if something good comes along like Classic Speedway and BackTrack that I regard as being EXCELLENT I will say so - not to be sycophantic but to give others a chance to enjoy a couple of SUPER Magazines. If that IS sycophantic - then I am I suppose a sycophant - however - I suggest you look up the definition before you accuse people of being something they are not. :angry:

I rather resent the fact that I have been called a sycophant - since when was being HONEST being sycophantic. I give my OPINIONS and my (RE)VIEWS as I see them - if I dislike something - more often than not I won't comment for fear of hurting the person concerned. However if something good comes along like Classic Speedway and BackTrack that I regard as being EXCELLENT I will say so - not to be sycophantic but to give others a chance to enjoy a couple of SUPER Magazines. If that IS sycophantic - then I am I suppose a sycophant - however - I suggest you look up the definition before you accuse people of being something they are not. :angry:

I'm guessing that this a bad thing to be!! Ignorance can be bliss!!