British Speedway Forum

Swc Event 2, Peterborough 13.7.

Which still would of been zero. TeamGB management used their brains and came up with a good sensible solution and you and orion still don't see it. That fits. :lol:

Useing your brains is not picking your best team :blink: I can see it tommorow all aroud the world in sports teams ......''we got a new plan lads we not going to pick our best team anymore we are going to lose or purpose'' :lol:

Is ths the same plan Newcastle fc used last year ? :lol:

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stated that I do not care who, the named and accepted captain of the squad, was/is.

Scot the man in the moon or what. I just feel if you accept a role of this kind in whatever the sport, part of the role is to be there when that squad is in action.

If you do not want to be that type of squad member then don't accept the post.

Surely thats not unreasonable

Fantastic meeting, and a very gutsy display by the young Brits.....maybe the selction of Richardson and Nicholls would have gleaned a few more points than (probably) Bridger and King but there is no way on earth we would have won the meeting so selecting those two would have served no purpose whatsoever. As it stands our 'strongest' side (which would include Nicholls according to some but I wouldn't have picked him anyway) is nowhere near good enough at the moment so this is the way forward.

Australia & Poland were full of experience and Grand Prix appearances last night so its no surprise that they both finished way ahead of us....if these five lads are kept together for the next few years there is no reason why we can't be World Champions in that time. In addition the next batch ie Haines, Mear, Auty, Roynon should be taken along to Lezno on Thursday for a taster so that they know what to expect when their turn in the squad comes.

Of course the problem of youth development lies deeper but last night was a start.....and its refreshing to read that the vast majority (Rosco worshippers excepted) are behind Rob Lyon and his vision. He will succeed, of that I have no doubt.

Great meeting, at last world class riders were given a track they could race on and did'nt they deliver, let Olsen run the G.P.s but let Buster do the tracks. I, like alot of people though King was a poor choice but He was by far the best G.B. rider on show. I would leave out Bridger and Kennet for the run off and replace them with Richardson and Nicholls. The only thing that spoilt it for me was there appeared to be no mark of respect for Kenny Smith, I would have though a 2 min. silence would have been in order and black arm bands, I hope this will be addressed on Thursday.

Great meeting, at last world class riders were given a track they could race on and did'nt they deliver, let Olsen run the G.P.s but let Buster do the tracks. I, like alot of people though King was a poor choice but He was by far the best G.B. rider on show. I would leave out Bridger and Kennet for the run off and replace them with Richardson and Nicholls. The only thing that spoilt it for me was there appeared to be no mark of respect for Kenny Smith, I would have though a 2 min. silence would have been in order and black arm bands, I hope this will be addressed on Thursday.

I thought the same thing

Wasnt even mentioned by the commentary team :(

Well we never know ? the one thing we know for sure we were sure were not going to with the team we put out .

As i said before there we would be no world cup speedway and indeed no sport if everyone took the attitude we can't win so we are going to play our best players .

Maybe next year in football West Ham or such like should play there youth team all year because after all the players they got are never going to win the league .

we put our best team out last year and what happened

Useing your brains is not picking your best team :blink: I can see it tommorow all aroud the world in sports teams ......''we got a new plan lads we not going to pick our best team anymore we are going to lose or purpose''

Is ths the same plan Newcastle fc used last year ?

It's all Whooosh to you isn't it. :lol: Don't take up management. :approve:

:blink::blink:

good is indeed relative,

last 10 heats

slovian 8 points

team gb 10 points.

yes they were better than last year, but then that means nothing.

i say a great entertaining night fantatstic racing, but lets not paper of the cracks, we are at best 6th in the speedway world now, bottom of the second tier, just like last year.

we have a long way to go but as you say better than last year so obviously it was right to go with the kids especially regarding the teamwork that we saw

agree with the tai being too cocky without the talent at the moment to back it up.pulling wheelies before the race shows he isnt focussed or serious about the game. yeah hes young but you dont see anyone else messing about before start in these big meetings ,save the wheelies for once you have won a race

agree with the tai being too cocky without the talent at the moment to back it up.pulling wheelies before the race shows he isnt focussed or serious about the game. yeah hes young but you dont see anyone else messing about before start in these big meetings ,save the wheelies for once you have won a race

I thought he was trying to entertain the crowd and get them geed up - something a lot of riders dont do nowadays ;)

Or perhaps it's his way of dealing with the nerves...a reverse pschology action to try to show he's not fazed by the pressure. I think it's a bit harsh to label a young lad as cocky...I've not yet met a teenager with talent who isn't precocious - you have to have belief in yourself to succeed. Just let him mature - the Tai in 5 years time will no doubt be a long way from here. Just look at Lewis, he's slowly losing that streak and turning himself into a decent pro.

Guest Ashie Smashy
Did i miss somethink the match i watched last night we got crushed by 20pts and most of the team were rubbish :rolleyes: most of the people who were critical last week were correct .

Rubbish?

Hardly, Team GB was well on the pace in most races and and did not disgrace themselves at all. Apart from Kennett, all the others had some good races showing that with more consistency and a few less mistakes could well hold their own on the big stage.

Edited by Ashie Smashy

I hope that Tai has learnt from tonight. The first thing he will have observed is that you cannot afford to gate poorly then put in wimpish first bend. He has been able to get away with poor starts in the PL but at this level it is a different story. Perhaps he can learn something from Lewis in how to mix it with the 'bigboys'. Maybe the time he (Lewis) has spent in the EL has sharpened him up. Tai has bags of potential but he has to move to the next level. I believe he is a quick learner and has not, in the past, been slow to adapt. He, now, needs to seek advice in order to sharpen up his starts. There must be a formula, otherwise why are the Danish riders, in general, so fast out of the traps. Therefore , why can they do it and we can't? The last thing we need is another 'David Howe' situation. Bags of talent as a youngster but not fulfilled.

Guest Ashie Smashy
I would not go that far but yes they were pretty poor .

You would go that far, I was quoting you, you used the word rubbish! This was always going to be a learning exercise, and not only did they perform better than many thought, they actually showed some real promise. How sad it is that all you can see is the scoreline, and not the potential. Sad, sad.

You would go that far, I was quoting you, you used the word rubbish! This was always going to be a learning exercise, and not only did they perform better than many thought, they actually showed some real promise. How sad it is that all you can see is the scoreline, and not the potential. Sad, sad.

What it is Ashie , is that for some reason Orion cant stand Danny King or the team GB manager. I've lost count of the times he said rico should take his place, but now , cant bring himself to say King did well and was well worth his place. Many posters on here , to their credit , have put their hands up and said they were wrong. Some though , just cant do this

Edited by phlipphlop

I thought he was trying to entertain the crowd and get them geed up - something a lot of riders dont do nowadays ;)

if he was having agood night then yeah but by doin it he made himsely look unfocussed.if i had been lyon i would of bollocked him and told him to focus

Useing your brains is not picking your best team :blink: I can see it tommorow all aroud the world in sports teams ......''we got a new plan lads we not going to pick our best team anymore we are going to lose or purpose'' :lol:

Is ths the same plan Newcastle fc used last year ? :lol:

You've kinda hit the nail on the head unintentionally really

Lets have a look at this little list of team sports here.

Football

Cricket

Rugby

Basketball

Baseball (Rounders to us)

Hockey

Polo

Just a few above

Please highlight any that you think where all the teams us there best players all the time in the biggest of events

thought so, there isn't one.

The thing is, people seem to mistake speedway as an individual sport even when it's a team event & having all the best players & riders in the same team doesn't mean you'll be a great team. Even Poland didn't have their "best team available" last night and they won the event. They were all stuck together like glue.

Moral, bonding, being together, fitting in, putting yourself out for others. As the the saying goes, Together Each Achieves More.

This is what a team avent is all about and if anyone knows Rob Lyon just a little bit will know this is what he's trying to create in the GB camp and I really don't think Nicholls fits that roll.

The only thing that spoilt it for me was there appeared to be no mark of respect for Kenny Smith, I would have though a 2 min. silence would have been in order and black arm bands, I hope this will be addressed on Thursday.

Certainly the promoters wouldn't have thought about it but yes, agreed, the riders and team managers should have.