British Speedway Forum

Newcastles History Website

dantodan

Most of us would say Newcastle Diamonds were black and white. However, 1938/39 and 1946/51 the racejacket was red and white with the exception of 1949 when it was a black and white N.

Does anyone have any colour photos showing the red n white jacket that I could show on the website.

I do have colour pics of Norman Evans and Ken le Breton wearing the red and white but they are very poor quality. Please help me with this if you have colour photos from the B&W era

I remember the Diamonds being Red with a white Diamond on them in 1946 at least

I also remember the Hodgsons riding for Newcastle in white shirts with a black " N" on them. This was obviously after the Middlesbrough/Newcastle/Ashfield shunt round had taken place. Middlesbrough went out of existence at the time and their riders became Newcastles team as the Newcastle team went to Glasgow Ashfield at the whim of some promoter. It was not a clever idea to my mind.

Edited by star ghost

Reading this post got me thinking how most of us see the race jacket as synonymous to the club (if that is the right word to use.) I mean if we hear or read Newcastle, Belle Vue, Cradley Heath, we tend to think of the old long standing logos. Now I admit that some of them were quite plain and simple which was probably down to what could be cut and stitched or painted in the early years. In the '60's/'70's technology made it possible for more intricate designs to be introduced, i.e. Oxford from yellow sash to Cheetahs head. But then these basic designed stayed almost unchanged for many seasons. So I wondered where the idea came from to change things so much and so often, some seem every season! I don't think it is the fans choice, as with Birmingham's return, fans made their feelings plain that they wanted the old red B on yellow background. This was also Tony Mole's choice, but then, he is one of speedway's biggest fan anyway! Also when the Cradley Heath supporters ran a junior side a few years back, they chose the old body colour design. Now, it could be said this is only the view of the old codgers who have been about for 40 or 50 years, but I don't think so as many much younger people I have heard express the same view. So could it be that the present day promoter has to bow to it's sponsors so much or is it that they are 'modern buisnessmen' with only a passing interest in speedway!! You only have to think 'Reading Bulldogs!!!' to know It's all been done before! ( climbs down, picks up soapbox and shuffles away!) :oops::wink:

Dantodan : Sorry for going off topic, but here's a thought. You say you have a photo of red & white bibs but poor quality, well some of these young chaps today can do marvels on a computer. However they might not visit this thread so maybe you could post an s.o.s. on general or somewhere. Just a thought, not trying to tell you your job. Good luck. Two_thumbs_up.gif

You are right Yesterdaysman-I liked it in the sixties before sponsorship--the green and white CH, Belle Vue Ace ,West Ham crossed Hammers, Poole's skull and crossbones etc. A number of teams had quartered race jckets- e.g. Newport when they started out, Middlesbrough Bears etc. I liked the simpler designs I hate the way thing look now.I recall Sheffield had a particularly good design of a Tigers head in 1965.

Think it was wide stripes with tigers head on. Then light background with dark square and full on tiger head, (bit strange looking i thought) The quarters came in '68 and continued at least 'til '71 (haven't checked any further.) That surprised me a bit and I can't find the reason for the change. Perhaps old Frank was feeling the pinch even back then! :lol:

Think it was wide stripes with tigers head on. Then light background with dark square and full on tiger head, (bit strange looking i thought) The quarters came in '68 and continued at least 'til '71 (haven't checked any further.) That surprised me a bit and I can't find the reason for the change. Perhaps old Frank was feeling the pinch even back then! :lol:

Looked up an old Speedway Digest covering 1962-and that year Sheff definitely wore blue and yellow quarters-can't recall 63-64 tho. Actually I liked the full on tiger head-one of my favourites for any team..Istill recall my visits to Owlerton with great pleasure-is the stadium the same as in the sixties.Should come back and take a look sometime.