British Speedway Forum

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Advice needed.....after a late decision to do to the GP tempted to make another late decision. 1st of all, what time does the meeting start? and how bad does the traffic get round the track? The missus has a meeting in preston and will be finished at half 3....what are my chances??? Ford focus 1.6 and a big right foot???? ha ha

Last year I did Coventry to Somerset (about 110 miles) in 90 minutes but Id say we got lucky ith traffic, I draent slow down at any point after the 2007 pairs traffic being a problem less than a mile from the track.

I theory, you can do it but in practice, the M5 at Bristol is a biatch on a Friday, the M5 from Birmingham to Bristol tends to move at 75-80 mph. The bit that will cause you trouble is junction 18 to 19 of the M5 just past Bristol.

Personally, I'd give it a go, if you don't get to the M4 junction until 7.15 or later you can always go over the bridge and on to Cardiff or accept you may miss a heat or 2, but as the pairs is 22(?) heats missing a couple is not the end of the World.

If you've never been to Somerset, I'd urge you to make every effort.

Last year I did Coventry to Somerset (about 110 miles) in 90 minutes but Id say we got lucky ith traffic, I draent slow down at any point after the 2007 pairs traffic being a problem less than a mile from the track.

I theory, you can do it but in practice, the M5 at Bristol is a biatch on a Friday, the M5 from Birmingham to Bristol tends to move at 75-80 mph. The bit that will cause you trouble is junction 18 to 19 of the M5 just past Bristol.

Personally, I'd give it a go, if you don't get to the M4 junction until 7.15 or later you can always go over the bridge and on to Cardiff or accept you may miss a heat or 2, but as the pairs is 22(?) heats missing a couple is not the end of the World.

If you've never been to Somerset, I'd urge you to make every effort.

Cheers mate, you've got abit of a faster car than me if i remember from the scunny mini track?? Mite give it a go.

I can't believe the Somerset promotion are trying to put a block on the National League meeting between Newport and Scunthorpe on the same night as The Pairs - National League for God sake, not exactly a threat is it? Your a disgrace to the sport!!! :mad:

I can't believe the Somerset promotion are trying to put a block on the National League meeting between Newport and Scunthorpe on the same night as The Pairs - National League for God sake, not exactly a threat is it? Your a disgrace to the sport!!! :mad:

i can see what you are saying dirt junkie but i was surprised that there was any possibility of a meeting at newport in the 1st place. if we hadnt qualified for the pairs we wouldnt be allowed to ride a meeting at Aramdale and its a few hundred miles away. somethings in my mind that our friends in the west couldnt run a meeting one sunday a couple of years ago due to a rescheduled event (GB championship?) at POOLE

there have already been people who have said as there is now a meeting at newport they wont bother with the friday traffic to somerset so the shared event is loosing out financially

i can see what you are saying dirt junkie but i was surprised that there was any possibility of a meeting at newport in the 1st place. if we hadnt qualified for the pairs we wouldnt be allowed to ride a meeting at Aramdale and its a few hundred miles away. somethings in my mind that our friends in the west couldnt run a meeting one sunday a couple of years ago due to a rescheduled event (GB championship?) at POOLE

there have already been people who have said as there is now a meeting at newport they wont bother with the friday traffic to somerset so the shared event is loosing out financially

Why are Somerset going down this road though ? It's a superseven event , so all the proceeds go to the BSPA . So if a couple of hundred people choose not to bother trying to fight their way up the M5 chaos to Somerset - big deal . It's not really affecting Somerset that much - 'cept for a few burger and chips sold in the clubhouse .

Newport are a club having difficulties , surely for the welfare of the sport in this country we should be doing all we can to help them . If that means reducing the crowd for the Pairs by a couple of hundred then so be it .

Paulco i think Somerset will be thinking about future lost earnings. This could be many peoples first time at OTA if they have a good enough time they will return with their own team or maybe as a regular. So losing a couple hundred could be quite alot of money in the long run for Somerset.

Or maybe the BSPA have a deal with Somerset that if they dont make a certain amount with ticket sales the event will be moved next season.

Just suggestions

well this stinks i think if the NL match is not allowed to go ahead who exactly gains - i think there would be pretty good crowds at both venues - th NL fixture appeals to the peole who dont want to run the gauntlet of the M4/5 on a friday.

NEWPORT is much handier than Somerset on a fri night. Why dont the BSPA consider staging the pairs there ??

Because you shouldn't change a good thing :rolleyes:

Last years meeting was a classic, it would have been crazy to move the meeting elsewhere.

NEWPORT is much handier than Somerset on a fri night. Why dont the BSPA consider staging the pairs there ??

It may be closer to Cardiff, but in terms of quality of racing the difference is immense; Somerset every time! :)

My lift is in the bag, so I'm really looking forward to this meeting now. The only question is who to support? :unsure:

Really looking forward to this. The last two pairs meetings have been excellent and weather and traffic permitting so will this one!

Personally I would keep th event at Somerset (despite the motorway) as I have found that the quality of the racing there is just a bit better than Newport. Not been to either place this year yet though so I dont know if anything has changed in terms of track preparation this season.