British Speedway Forum

So the influence of Phil Crump and Craig Boyce for the aussies at the SWC cannot be denied....... am I wrong in thinking that Brian Andersen and Karger are hands on for the Danes?.... The poles are always set up perfectly and well prepared which indicates that it has been a team effort and hands on tuners have been involved............... i'm not sure what the case is for the Swedes....... but do the Brits have a similar arrangement?

The reason I raise it is because for the last couple of years it has been obvious that the machinery has been well off the pace and clearly not set up correctly across the team................... do we have a tuner who gets his hands dirty leading up to and during the SWC? Overall we seem to be behind the rest of the world overall when it comes to tuning but Peter Johns certainly fits the bill

I don't know what special will be done with the engines of Polish riders (any by who) but for the first time ever Poland's national speedway team has got a strategic sponsor (company Nice Polska) who pays for preparing Polish riders for such events as Team World Cup and U-21 Team World Cup only. So with this extra boost of money I hope the team will be prepared even better than in 2007 and 2008 and we will kick some Danish @sses ! ;)

Edited by Mateusz

• 4 weeks later...

Spook,

Only seen this thread courtesy of you mentioning it in the U21 one.

Interestingly enough I've spoken with Ash Holloway about this very topic and he assures me he'd be happy to work with the GB squad.

So .........

He appears to be doing quite a good job with Emil's bikes.

Rico :rolleyes:

He appears to be doing quite a good job with Emil's bikes.

he certainly does! as it now appears he did for Nicki as well

Lets hope Mr Lyon is reading this then or people who can point him towards it are and something becomes of it :)

I asked Rob Lyon something similar a fortnight ago at Lynn. As I see it, it seems that all the riders have their own tuners and are relied upon to get something good enough sorted for the WTC. As we know tuners keep their cards close to their chest, it's the only way to do business but if the team were given money to have an engine tuned especially for the WTC then surely that would help. It's perhaps worrying that they aren't all going well in Poland though cos having a bike/engine set up for Poland is paramount to their success.

If Ashley Holloway would be willing to share his expertise to the british boys that would be great, it needs to be done now not a week before the WTC though!

Well, you can mention to Mr Lyons that Mr Holloway is willing to get involved Trees.

I'd imagine it won't be cheap putting this together, but do the team want to be competitive or not ? Lets be honest here, the team looks likely to have to go to the race-off at Leszno and if the status quo remains even that could be quite embarassing.

Edited by Rico

I'd imagine it won't be cheap putting this together, but do the team want to be competitive or not

Perhaps that might be the stumbling block to the best laid plans? Of course I personally think BSI/IMG should come up with the dosh for all the teams, it's their competition after all ............

Perhaps that might be the stumbling block to the best laid plans? Of course I personally think BSI/IMG should come up with the dosh for all the teams, it's their competition after all ............

Oh please. You really are making yourself look stupid with that comment regarding BSI/IMG Trees.

The money needs to be found (as does funding for the kids going off to U21 meetings on the continent) to ensure GB are competitive against their rivals. Otherwise they will carry on going down the spiral.

I think you are talking about sponsorship money there Mark

tbf here although money is a factor and very little seems to be given to our national representatives it isnt the main issue for me

even if all the guys pay the same money they would have chucked at engines/tuning for the world cup into the collective team pot instead and then the team GB management invest that as wisely as they can..... then it has to be a step up on what we have had..............especially if we suddenly have a technical guru ..........

are we even sure that some of our guys havent purchased anything primarily for the world cup in the past? (ie this old engine might do a job..... maybe i'll get away not retuning....... I can get several more uses out of that carb.....etc) Could we blame them if they are expected to fit all the bills? As pointed out in the opening post come SWC time the poles go crazy with machinery and win bonuses........ the danes never fail to turn out with top class machinery...... and the swedes and the aussies although have had a mixed bag in recent years know what is required and have been there done it............................. we just do not appear to be on the same level when it comes to it

Edited by spook

• 3 weeks later...

im still interested in the machinery side of things.................... despite us having a relatively weak squad for some time now I still think that the level of and consistency of machinery in the team has been a huge factor and something that must be prioritised every year now because it is certainly a standard thing for the other top nations...................

Lewis said on Sky that Rob Lyon had been organising mechanics a month or so ago which is obviously an important side of things ....... but it seems to me that there is no substitute for a world class tuner being onboard and servicing the whole team................. until this happens success will only arrive with a slice of fortune

and if this only comes with a price tag then what is the price tag and who is willing to sponsor the national team to raise the money? Is anyone out there trying to get the sponsorship?

have you ever been approached 'the know'?

Edited by spook

im still interested in the machinery side of things.................... despite us having a relatively weak squad for some time now I still think that the level of and consistency of machinery in the team has been a huge factor and something that must be prioritised every year now because it is certainly a standard thing for the other top nations...................

Lewis said on Sky that Rob Lyon had been organising mechanics a month or so ago which is obviously an important side of things ....... but it seems to me that there is no substitute for a world class tuner being onboard and servicing the whole team................. until this happens success will only arrive with a slice of fortune

and if this only comes with a price tag then what is the price tag and who is willing to sponsor the national team to raise the money? Is anyone out there trying to get the sponsorship?

problem is all the riders use differant tuners and like their motors set up differantly.

no i havnt.

Yes organising things like Tshirts and trousers ..... cmon guys...you really should listen.

There isnt this vast gap in equipment you are led to believe - its all about knowledge and experience....

Tuners are good at knowing set ups, thats why riders have them in the pits...they dont suddenly work on an engine there and then, they just know what needs to be done to suit the tracks.

Yes they have been out there trying to get sponsorship - well I certainly was a few year ago and nearly had something with Onfire sorted until the big wigs screwed it all up because they demanded excessive money to what was offered.

Problem is its so screwed at the top that the house isnt in order....too many organ grinding monkeys..... and those that do try arent supported in the right way.

you are preaching to the converted snapper

Tuners are good at knowing set ups, thats why riders have them in the pits...they dont suddenly work on an engine there and then, they just know what needs to be done to suit the tracks.

yes of course this is the case ....... and the results of it are clear to see when despite Bomber gating like a pensioner in the gp's in 07, Brian Andersen had him setup so well that he could overtake where others couldnt ............ and then we have the flipside of the SWC in 07 where we had things so abysmally wrong until something like the 16th heat...... but did they have a tuner/their tuners in the pits with them? Clearly until their last rides no one knew what they were doing

you cannot be telling me that we have the same support and organisation as the other big 4 snapper ........... just the money that these guys are expected to pay themselves tells the story