British Speedway Forum

New Zealand Rider Aston Quin

Ross Garrigan

The rider I recall was Allan Quinn, who was at St Austell and Harringay in the 50s. In 1952 both rode for St Austell in Southern League matches. Allan topped the Gulls scorers that season with 265.5 just ahead of Norman Street on 258.5 whilst Aston got 49 in a side which included Harold Bull and the great George Newton and Max Rech, the ex-Polish fighter pilot from W W II. The Gulls finished bottom of the League with just 11 wins in the 36 matches that season. This seemed to be the fate for St Austell teams

Thanx Ross-did Eric ever ride for the same team as Aston Quinn??

Bob, I can't really answer your question as Eric did some racing in New Zealand and there is a possibility he may have raced in the same team as Aston at some time in that country. Eric spent quite some time (some 5 weeks) in company with Aston on the ship voyage to Australia in late 1952. He tells a couple of stories about Aston in his recollections of that trip. Aston was crowned "Diving Champion" of the liner Otranto on that voyage, as well as taking over the role of "shipboard pest" in Bruce Abernethy's absence. You'll have to wait for the 17th collection of Eric's stories to find out the comical sequence of events which led to Aston receiving that diving title.

I will put your question about Aston to Eric when I speak to him later in the week. The jury is still out as to whether Aston's name was "Quin" or "Quinn". I think there is one "n" and Bob Andrews emailed me this morning saying that that is what has been suggested to him in New Zealand.

Bob, your copy of the Sixteenth Collection is a week or so off appearing in your inbox.

Cheers,

Ross.

Edited by Ross Garrigan

Thanx Ross tell Eric to keep up the good work-incidentally is Ian Williams ok??

As far as I know Ian is OK. Ian, Freddie and their sister Kate all keep in touch with Eric. Eric was thrilled to receive telephone calls from both Freddie and Kate during the last few weeks. He also receives regular telephone calls from Reg Fearman and Bob Andrews. Ivan Mauger has also telephoned Eric twice in the last month or so.

Thanx Ross-did Eric ever ride for the same team as Aston Quinn??

Bob, I've just been speaking to Eric on the telephone and I asked him your question.

No, Eric never raced in the same team as Aston Quin either in the UK or in New Zealand. The interesting thing Eric did mention though is that Aston eventually came to live in the same city in New Zealand as Eric lived - Hastings.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ross,

I am working with John Somerville and Hugh Vass to complie a series of books about post-war British League riders

www.speedwayatoz.co.uk

John has a photo of Aston Quin in a St. Austell 'Gulls' race jacket and I am sure if you contact him then you would be able to purchase a copy.

John's e-mail is

john.somerville@blueyonder.co.uk

Matt Jackson

Hi Ross,

I am working with John Somerville and Hugh Vass to complie a series of books about post-war British League riders

www.speedwayatoz.co.uk

John has a photo of Aston Quin in a St. Austell 'Gulls' race jacket and I am sure if you contact him then you would be able to purchase a copy.

John's e-mail is

john.somerville@blueyonder.co.uk

Matt Jackson

Matt, I have been in touch with John and it is all sorted. The photo will appear in Eric's story.