British Speedway Forum

Is Scotty Really Good Enough For The Sgp

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Question .......... Is Scott Nicholls good enough for the Grand Prix Series ?

YES

Is Scott Nicholls ever likely to be challenging for the title ?

NO

Scott is a very good rider and I would rate him in the top 15 riders in the world at present, but its like saying are Tottenham Hotspur or West Ham good enough for the Premiership. They can on their day beat the best, but overall they lack the power to challenge for honours.

Nicki, Jason, Tomasz, Andreas, Greg, Leigh and Hans are clearly the big hitters and this year they should have Freddie and Emil joining in the race a bit more. Next year you should have Chris Holder in there to make a formidable top 10 so you still need five more to make up the 15 and Scott would get in on that equation.

However with three qualifiers, the list grows to 13 so would Scott get one of those last two places if he didn't qualify ...... tough one to call as there are riders like Bjerre, Bjarne, Iversen, Holta, Hampel, Kasprzak, Woffinden, Jagus etc etc all waiting in the wings not to mention Harris, Kennett, Batchelor, Pavlic etc etc.

I like Scott and think he has made the mistake of not riding in England, but I hope he gets some decent points and starts challenging in this years Series.

is scott nicholls good enough? my reply would have to be no. there is only 1 brit i want to see on the world stage, arise sir woffinden

He would get destroyed in the GP's. Give him 3 or 4 years then he will be ready.

He would get destroyed in the GP's. Give him 3 or 4 years then he will be ready.

I thought the same about Emil Sajfutdinov but he aint doing to bad, look how Tai did last season in the WTC event i believe. Also was it not the Ben fund at Sheffield where he annihilated mr Nicholls?

Edited by Drac

I watched Woffinden at Lakeside on friday. He is not ready for the GP's yet. He was very fortunate to have made the final, he wouldn't have done but for a huge slice of luck. His composure was not good at all and the occasion seemed to get to him. Give him time and I'm sure he'l get his chance.

Hopefully Bridger can continue his fine start to the season and start living up to standards we know he's capable of, he was certainly head and shoulders above the rest on friday, probably the most composed riding I've seen from him.

I do understand what your saying but like you said hans anderson wasent that great and Gp isnt just one round let nicholls prove himself . He deserves to be in the GP and I for one hope he proves his point your all to quick to judge . As for saying he shouldnt be in the world cup squad what a load of rubbish how childish he not racing over here so you dont want him in the squad . .

I watched Woffinden at Lakeside on friday. He is not ready for the GP's yet. He was very fortunate to have made the final, he wouldn't have done but for a huge slice of luck. His composure was not good at all and the occasion seemed to get to him. Give him time and I'm sure he'l get his chance.

Hopefully Bridger can continue his fine start to the season and start living up to standards we know he's capable of, he was certainly head and shoulders above the rest on friday, probably the most composed riding I've seen from him.

On the night Bridger did look better, tho Tai was unlucky to drop 3 points when leading - his fall seemed to follow some kind of mechanical failure. Having seen both at several tracks I'd have said that on balance Tai is the more composed of the two. He looked very uncomfortable in dealing with an absolutely pig of a track at Lakeside, and he wasn't alone in that. Of the two, I believe he has the bigger potential, though Lewis is also clearly a talented rider who can go far.

I thought the same about Emil Sajfutdinov but he aint doing to bad, look how Tai did last season in the WTC event i believe. Also was it not the Ben fund at Sheffield where he annihilated mr Nicholls?

Emil has been scoring big points in Poland consistenly for the last couple of years. Tai hasn't been anywhere near as good. Polish form is the benchmark for me, not the British Premier League or a couple of races in the WTC.

Also how did Tai do in the U-21 final last year?

I don't want people to think I'm knocking Tai as he is a fantastic prospect, I wish people would just let him develop at his own pace not come up with ludicrous notions of him being ready for the GP series.

Silly star your talking as though this was Nicholls first ever GP. He has had years to prove himself 13 at the top i believe/ If you cant prove yourself in that you never will.

As for Hans well Hans and Scott shouldnt even be in the same line Scott will never ever be as good as Hans is. Hans had a bad night gating on a track that was gater wins. Scott scores 4 on a regular occurance. I think you need to forget the nationality a second and look at the facts he is just taking up a place that could be used by someone younger who will improve and progress not go backwards like Scott has since his firtst series.

I do agree with you AndyM, I also feel Tai will be a more accomplished rider in the long run.

He did have a mechanical failure at Lakeside but he also looked uncomfortable, especially up against the more competitive riders. The track wasn't great, not helped by a practice session in the afternoon I believe and is a technically difficult track anyway. Bridger seemed totally at ease with the track and looked confident throughout.

I'm a big Woffinden fan and as I said, I do believe he has a great career ahead of him, he just needs a bit of polishing up and he should be a future GP rider.

With Bridger, I thought he was excellent at Lakeside and is a great talent, but will he keep it up? I hope so for his sake, but he does seem to have a habit of self destructing. If he can sort out his attitude, get advice from the right people and keep his head down, he could be a GP contender. He's made a great start to the season and seems to be doing the right things, so I hope he proves people like myself wrong and keeps it up this time.

No Poland, no Sweden I said. :P

Presumably he's riding for the Bees so just as an example for next week - G.P. yesterday, Monday at Peterborough and Coventry on Friday. That's not so hard and he's not riding day in and day out. What's all this "Sky meeting and Poole Wednesday?" He has the whole week at home with his daughter if that's what he wants but he might find that a lot more tiring than riding speedway bikes. I know from experience of looking after my own children and grandchildren. :D

I think you still miss the point i'm making Gem, 2 meetings a week rather than 5 or 6 if he was riding here.

More time with family, more relaxed build up to meetings, no tiredness, no stress .

I know which i'd choose if i was in his shoes.

I think you still miss the point i'm making Gem....

And you are missing the point I'm making. :lol:

If he's cheesed off with all the air travel as you said in an earlier post and wants to spend more time with his family why not knock Poland and Sweden on the head and just ride in his home country, plus the G.P's?

Truth of the matter is probably more to do with money......or money he thought he would be getting abroad. Whether he is now getting as much as he expected I don't know, but he no doubt gets a lot more riding in Poland than he does in England and that's more likely to be the crux of the matter.

I think you still miss the point i'm making Gem, 2 meetings a week rather than 5 or 6 if he was riding here.

More time with family, more relaxed build up to meetings, no tiredness, no stress .

I know which i'd choose if i was in his shoes.

About time somebody thats speaks sense ..

If he's cheesed off with all the air travel as you said in an earlier post and wants to spend more time with his family why not knock Poland and Sweden on the head and just ride in his home country, plus the G.P's?

Truth of the matter is probably more to do with money......or money he thought he would be getting abroad. Whether he is now getting as much as he expected I don't know, but he no doubt gets a lot more riding in Poland than he does in England and that's more likely to be the crux of the matter.

So if you could earn more money in poland on one day than you do in england the whole week and you got to spend time with your partner and your child ?? what would you do...

Think this discussion has been from the wrong angle. What we should be asking is this: what would it take for Scotty to be up there in the top 3 consistently? Other than giving up EL, I don't know what he has done to prepare but he should have been gearing up in a very big way. How about these ideas:

• Employ a commercial manger to get really big sponsorship deals with top companies to fund a massive investment in his GP bid
  • Big investment in the best equipment, tuning and mechanics to get equipment up there with the very best
  • Employ at least a part-time personal fitness coach to keep him at tip top condition through the season
  • Employ a manager to take full responsibility for logistics and to keep his mind focused on the job in hand
  • Employ time with Mauger, Briggo or another seasoned pro to work on his technique and iron out flaws
  • Employ a sports psychologist to identify and iron out flaws in his personality that prevent him achieving his potential
  • ...and that's just for starters!

With the right backing, there's no doubt he could do a lot better, however low down we feel he is among the top ranking riders.

Best post on this thread.

Nicki P is by no means in any way the best speedway rider technique wise in the world. However, he has the best engines in the world and is probably the best rider into the first turn. Scott Nicholls is a fantastic motorcycle rider and with the kind of machinery and fitness programmes as Nicki he would no doubt be challenging the top 3 year in year out.

Lewis Bridger is probably one of the most talented motorcyclists involved in speedway in the world, only Emil is better in my opinion. If Bridger gets some really good investment behind him then there is no limit to what he can achieve.

Best post on this thread.

Nicki P is by no means in any way the best speedway rider technique wise in the world. However, he has the best engines in the world and is probably the best rider into the first turn. Scott Nicholls is a fantastic motorcycle rider and with the kind of machinery and fitness programmes as Nicki he would no doubt be challenging the top 3 year in year out.

Lewis Bridger is probably one of the most talented motorcyclists involved in speedway in the world, only Emil is better in my opinion. If Bridger gets some really good investment behind him then there is no limit to what he can achieve.

Perhaps but Scott has consistently chosen the wrong lines during races and always seems to end up in the wrong place at the wrong time. I disagree about Nicki I think he has agreat technique and is often ale to find speed where others can't. He may have the best engines now, but that was certainly not the case when he first won the WC.

Joe Screen was constantly described as a "talented motorcyclist" and has what to show for his efforts in the WC?

Speedway is about application something Nicki has in spades. Hopefully Lewis will gain this as he matures.

Edited by Blazeaway

How can it be about money ? if he rode in england as well he would be earning more money than he is now .As i said before it's Scotts life and he can choose where he wants to work .

You could pick a million other sportsman who earn there living outside where they were born so whats the big deal about scott doing the same ?