British Speedway Forum

Is Scotty Really Good Enough For The Sgp

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, Scott is easily good enough to be in the GP series. He's always in the top ten in the world and can beat antone on a good day. It'll be interesting to see if his decision to give the Elite a miss helps him out, I believe it will. Do I think he will be World Champion? No I don't, but I do believe he'll be top eight.

Would really like to see Leigh Adams win it this time, such a great pro.

Well humphrey if you want to be the best then as much as it takes.

It seems to have become fashionable to have vast entourages in the expectation that it'll help you win things, but things will swing back in the other direction in time. Frankly most of the top competitors in any discipline would probably still be as successful without all the hangers-on.

He can beat anyone on a good day?

The issue is he very rarely has a good day. My opinion is he is wasting a space that could be used to bring in a younger guy and to spice up the series. Scott has had way too many wildcards provings he isnt actually upto the standard of the sries as he cant even finish in the automtic qualifying places

I agree his consistancy has been his downfall but there is no doubting that the guy is a racer and can mix it with the best. He's also got determination and has tried a number of things to get his act together over the last few years. Yes he's had his share of wildcards but he doesn't make that decision does he? If we're talking about people being denied a space because of wildcards then there is one guy who sticks out and it's not Scott! Youngsters don't always work out well, they come in full of enthusiasm and expectation and end up getting their arses kicked, it can't be good for confidence in my opinion.

What high standards we set. :rolleyes:

He can beat anyone on a good day?

The issue is he very rarely has a good day. My opinion is he is wasting a space that could be used to bring in a younger guy and to spice up the series. Scott has had way too many wildcards provings he isnt actually upto the standard of the sries as he cant even finish in the automtic qualifying places

but hang on guys ..

first of all who said that these are the standards being set? I'm certainly not the one setting standards for Scotty..... im sure him and kelvin have their own........... and secondly do the Swedes feel the same about AJ?...... lets face it he has only ever been one step ahead of Scott and is unlikely to win a GP series judging by his career so far and ability to implode.......

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having our best riders included until we have other riders coming through and riding better

We should NOT be allowing our youngsters to get in the GP series too soon and hopefully we have the FIM and BSI making sure of that.......... if a youngster is dropped in too soon it is as likely to set him back/destroy him as much as he is likely to swim/excel

but hang on guys ..

first of all who said that these are the standards being set? I'm certainly not the one setting standards for Scotty..... im sure him and kelvin have their own........... and secondly do the Swedes feel the same about AJ?...... lets face it he has only ever been one step ahead of Scott and is unlikely to win a GP series judging by his career so far and ability to implode.......

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having our best riders included until we have other riders coming through and riding better

We should NOT be allowing our youngsters to get in the GP series too soon and hopefully we have the FIM and BSI making sure of that.......... if a youngster is dropped in too soon it is as likely to set him back/destroy him as much as he is likely to swim/excel

Ah but AJ is an entertainer, someone that never gives up. Can the same be said for Scott?

Agree with your point about the youngsters, they would be ruined by going in too soon.

Ah but AJ is an entertainer, someone that never gives up. Can the same be said for Scott?

Agree with your point about the youngsters, they would be ruined by going in too soon.

Well being British I am prone to being blinded by things like that with Scotty because for 3 hours every fortnight I am put through a roller coaster of emotions with him. However.........

Can we really say Scotty isnt an exciting rider when the first things that people would say about him are:

awful gater

physical

fast bikes

just the fact he is less than average in terms of gating must mean that he gives us passing for him to even be in the series

aside from his nationality I think he has been one of the riders to give us the best races in the GP's........and I truly dont think that he gives up because he is nearly always on the cusp of making the semis

I wrote on here about a year ago that I thought Scott Nicholls was slightly overweight. Not fat but he's a solid built guy who could tone down a little bit thus taking weight off the bike. Nikki P led the way with losing weight.

I see from Kelvin Tatum's comments that he has lost plenty of weight so well done to Scott. His scores have been good as well.

Hopefully top 5 this year and a GP win

i met him a few weeks back and there is nothing on him! looked like he could do with a good feed!

You are new so I will let you off!! This subject has been debated to death on here.

In answer to your question, yes he is one of the best 16 riders in the world. Will he ever become World Champion? No chance.

Thats it in a nutshell topic closed .

I just hope he doesnt start off every GP with a 1 or 0 in his first ride like he did last few years. Thats one thing that really annoys me, British riders, whether it be individual or team events, always seem to not be able to 'get the right set up' from the start. The Scandi's, Aussies & (when they were riding high) the yanks all seemed to be able to do it.

Scott Nicholls' GP record:

2001: Finished in top 6 of GP challenge and qualified for 2002 GP

2002: Failed, but seeded into following year's competition

2003: Qualified for 2004 series

2004: Failed, but seeded into following year's competition

2005: Failed, but seeded into following year's competition

2006: Failed, but seeded into following year's competition

2007: Qualified for 2008 series after knocking off Chris Harris in run-off

2008: Failed, but seeded into following year's competition

It's not impresive reading is it? :rolleyes:

All the best

Rob

2001: Finished in top 6 of GP challenge and qualified for 2002 GP

2002: Failed, but seeded into following year's competition

2003: Qualified for 2004 series

2004: Failed, but seeded into following year's competition - Missed 2 GP's through injury.

2005: Failed, but seeded into following year's competition - Finished 9th.

2006: Failed, but seeded into following year's competition - Missed a GP thru injury, finished only 8 points off qualifying.

2007: Qualified for 2008 series after knocking off Chris Harris in run-off - Subject of debate. And 1 race doesnt decide a season.

2008: Failed, but seeded into following year's competition - Finished 9th 3 points off qualifying.

Now I know you can always make exscuses, but just trying to illustrate that it's not quite as black & white as you tried to make out.

Its is black and white though. it doesnt matter how many GPs he missed or by how many points he failed the fact is if he was as capable as people say he wouldnt be fighting for the final qualification place and missing out by a few points here and there.

He is a wild card lover simple as that and is taking up a place in the series that could go elsewhere