British Speedway Forum

Is Scotty Really Good Enough For The Sgp

Can nicholls finally deliver the goods this year ?

I personally hope he does but you have to think that he would have won at least one gp by now,I dont know whether the move

away from the elite league will help him he has shone in that for the last few years his gating has always let him down and

at times his bikes have not looked fast enough ,I dont know how he has been performing in europe this season but

britain needs a major player in the sgp

ize="2"][/size] come on scotty

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can nicholls finally deliver the goods this year ?

I personally hope he does but you have to think that he would have won at least one gp by now,I dont know whether the move

away from the elite league will help him he has shone in that for the last few years his gating has always let him down and

at times his bikes have not looked fast enough ,I dont know how he has been performing in europe this season but

britain needs a major player in the sgp

ize="2"][/size] come on scotty

You are new so I will let you off!! This subject has been debated to death on here.

In answer to your question, yes he is one of the best 16 riders in the world. Will he ever become World Champion? No chance.

Is Scotty good enough to be world champion? I'd suggest that there is room for improvement...... but not that much room

Is Scotty good enough to be there? Yes of course because he consistently finishes within the top 10 riders

Has watching Scotty been a frustrating experience for British fans? *cries and nods*

Will Scotty do better than last season? I suspect he will

Scott is obviously good enough to be in the GP series, the question is whether he's good enough to challenge for the top, even the top 5 places. This is probably why Scott has made the decision he's made this year, the madcap way of riding day in day out & almost living in airport terminals hasn't worked for him so he's trying it this way, a more relaxing way here he can be his own boss to a point.

Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't but i can tell you it wasn't an easy decision to make.

Personally i wish him luck & hope it does work out, i'm sure we all do. If not then just maybe Scott will walk away from it.

Makes you wonder why it's become like a closed shop. Riders don't need to be much better to dominate the rest. Maybe they are more rested without so much league racing, but there are other factors too. Interesting to read that Padraig Harrington employs a backup team of 6 to help him on the golf tour. They comprise the senior coach, a swing coach, a putting coach, a physio, a fitness coach and a sports psychologist. Who do the top GP riders take around with them, other than mechanics and possibly management?

Makes you wonder why it's become like a closed shop. Riders don't need to be much better to dominate the rest. Maybe they are more rested without so much league racing, but there are other factors too. Interesting to read that Padraig Harrington employs a backup team of 6 to help him on the golf tour. They comprise the senior coach, a swing coach, a putting coach, a physio, a fitness coach and a sports psychologist. Who do the top GP riders take around with them, other than mechanics and possibly management?

Nicki has a hairdryer!

How is it a closed shop? I believe there was a qualifier yesterday.

With respect, it would be interesting to know when Padraig hired all these assistants, i would hazzard a guess it was after he had made his 3rd Million. Just no comparison the amount of money swilling around in Golf to speedway. You are made after winning one major, with endorsements etc etc, but how many GP,s or world titles even would you need to retire in speedway.

I can't see it being John Jorgensen,s input that has made Niki the dominant rider he is today.

How is it a closed shop? I believe there was a qualifier yesterday.

As in the winner and top 5 each year comes from a very small group. 7 winners in 14 years of GP is not a great record.

Yes, that was the point - I was asking what a rider has to do to break into the elite circle.

do Crump and Pedersen have faster machinery or is it just their attitude that makes the difference?

....................... Who do the top GP riders take around with them, other than mechanics and possibly management?

In Scott's case no one.

A couple (maybe three) years ago I was at Riga airport to pick up the TP group for the transfer to Daugavpils. Scott arrived on the inbound London flight, and I fully expected him to be picked up by one of his entourage. To my surprise he joined the queue at Hertz to hire himself a vehicle.

Now anyone who has been to Latvia knows that the road to Daugavpils is not the best in the world, a three to four hour journey on roads with potholes the size and depth of the bunkers at St Andrews.

This was Scott's first GP back after injuring his collar bone, and as luck would have it the erstwhile Mr Easter stepped up and offered to chauffer him to the track.

This is when Scott had the likes of Ham Racing and Havelock working in his corner. They together with mechanics were all in attendance at the GP, yet no one to get the rider from airport to track.

Says it all. Is he organised any more professionally nowadays?

do Crump and Pedersen have faster machinery or is it just their attitude that makes the difference?

I would say greater talent mainly.

Sure they have a more ruthless attitude to winning and dedication to the cause than most.

3 to 4 bikes tuned to perfection for each GP, not sure how much difference there is between the top guys in the gp and the Nicholls and Holta,s etc in terms of equipment, ie extra gadgets.

It would be interesting to see some split times for top speed, say in a straight line drag test between the GP boys. I would guess not much difference between them, it comes down best use of what you have on the track.

• 2 weeks later...

I wrote on here about a year ago that I thought Scott Nicholls was slightly overweight. Not fat but he's a solid built guy who could tone down a little bit thus taking weight off the bike. Nikki P led the way with losing weight.

I see from Kelvin Tatum's comments that he has lost plenty of weight so well done to Scott. His scores have been good as well.

Hopefully top 5 this year and a GP win

Who do the top GP riders take around with them, other than mechanics and possibly management?

Who do they need to take around with them? A couple of reliable mechanics at most I'd guess.

Speedway also doesn't have the rewards of golf, and the SGP certainly doesn't have the highest rewards even within speedway. How much can you ultimately justify on spending to try to win the World Championship?