British Speedway Forum

Who would have won???

fatface

Just for fun, let's say the GP system had been in place for years. Who do you think would have been World Champion. My own knowledge only really stretches back to the 1970s, so I've listed who I think would have won from 1970 onwards.

Now I'd be amazed if anyone agreed with all these. But I'd be interested to know what you lot reckon. :D

YEAR - POSSIBLE GP CHAMP (ACTUAL CHAMP)

1970 - Ivan Mauger (Ivan Mauger)

1971 - Ivan Mauger (Ole Olsen)

1972 - Ole Olsen (Ivan Mauger)

1973 - Anders Michanek (Jerzy Szczakiel)

1974 - Ivan Mauger (Anders Michanek)

1975 - Ole Olsen (Ole Olsen)

1976 - Peter Collins (Peter Collins)

1977 - Peter Collins (Ivan Mauger)

1978 - Ole Olsen (Ole Olsen)

1979 - Mike Lee (Ivan Mauger)

1980 - Dave Jessup (Mike Lee)

1981 - Bruce Penhall (Bruce Penhall)

1982 - Kenny Carter (Bruce Penhall)

1983 - Hans Nielsen (Egon Muller)

1984 - Hans Nielsen (Erik Gundersen)

1985 - Erik Gundersen (Erik Gundersen)

1986 - Hans Nielsen (Hans Nielsen)

1987 - Hans Nielsen (Hans Nielsen)

1988 - Hans Nielsen (Erik Gundersen)

1989 - Hans Nielsen (Hans Nielsen)

1990 - Hans Nielsen (Per Jonsson)

1991 - Jan O Pedersen (Jan O Pedersen)

1992 - Per Jonsson (Gary Havelock)

1993 - Sam Ermolenko (Sam Ermolenko)

1994 - Hans Nielsen (Tony Rickardson)

I'll have to think about this one when I've got a bit more time. I know Ivan Mauger reckons that he would have won in 1976 instead of Peter Collins and Peter Collins would have won instead of him in 1977.

I don't think Dave Jessup would ever have won though.

Just some preliminary thoughts....

I agree with Grachan about 1980. I think Michael Lee would have won. 1983-1988 almost impossible to say which of the two, Nielsen and Gundersen, would have won each year. Pot luck!

I know I shall incur the wrath of many on here, but I don't think Kenny Carter would have won in 1982 either. I'd go for Bruce Penhall.

1972 I'd go for Mauger over Olsen - more consistent. Olsen had his moments, but over a whole Grand Prix season can't see him beating Mauger.

Just to go back a bit in time:

1960 Ove Fundin (Ove Fundin)

1961 Ove Fundin (Ove Fundin)

1962 Ove Fundin (Peter Craven)

1963 Ove Fundin (Ove Fundin)

1964 Barry Briggs (Barry Briggs)

1965 Igor Plechanov (Bjorn Knutsson)

1966 Barry Briggs (Barry Briggs)

1967 Barry Briggs (Ove Fundin)

1968 Ivan Mauger (Ivan Mauger)

1969 Ivan Mauger (Ivan Mauger)

Not sure about Hans Neilsen winning more at the expense of Erik Gundersen either. My image of a typical GP from that era - Neilsen the best rider all night, Gundersen just scrapes though to the final. Gundersen wins it.

Just some preliminary thoughts....

I agree with Grachan about 1980. I think Michael Lee would have won. 1983-1988 almost impossible to say which of the two, Nielsen and Gundersen, would have won each year. Pot luck!

I know I shall incur the wrath of many on here, but I don't think Kenny Carter would have won in 1982 either. I'd go for Bruce Penhall.

1972 I'd go for Mauger over Olsen - more consistent. Olsen had his moments, but over a whole Grand Prix season can't see him beating Mauger.

Some of these really are waifer thin decisions. For 83, Dennis Sigalos was also very much in my thoughts. I'd still stick with Kenny for 82 though. I think Bruce was a little distracted that year, despite winning the title.

Bearing in mind I have no memory of injury to anyone.

1973 - Anders Michanek (Jerzy Szczakiel)

1974 – Ole Olsen (Anders Michanek)

1975 – Phil Crump (Ole Olsen)

(The year of the 4 valve I think)

1976 – Ivan Mauger (Peter Collins)

1977 - Peter Collins (Ivan Mauger)

(If it's good enough for Ivan then it's good enough for me)

1978 - Peter Collins (Ole Olsen)

(Despite disaster at the British GP, Coventry)

1979 - Mike Lee (Ivan Mauger)

1980 – Mike Lee (Mike Lee)

1981 - Bruce Penhall (Bruce Penhall)

1982 – Bruce Penhall (Bruce Penhall)

1983 – Kenny Carter(Egon Muller)

1984 – Erik Gundersen (Erik Gundersen)

1985 - Erik Gundersen (Erik Gundersen)

1986 – Erik Gundersen (Hans Nielsen)

(Erik does him again! Unbelieveable – and after Hans had led throughout too)

1987 - Hans Nielsen (Hans Nielsen)

1988 - Hans Nielsen (Erik Gundersen)

1989 - Hans Nielsen (Hans Nielsen)

1990 – Jimmy Nilsen (Per Jonsson)

(Taking into account how well the GP seemed to suit him when it started and remembering that I thought he had a good chance that year.)

1991 – Per Jonsson (Jan O Pedersen)

1992 - Per Jonsson (Gary Havelock)

1993 – Hans Neilsen (Sam Ermolenko)

1994 – Tony Rickardsson (Tony Rickardsson)

A bit of Swindon bias, perhaps, but based on reason and logical argument naturally.

Not sure about Jimmy Nilsen though - great rider though he was.

You're probably right, but originally I had 3 Gundersen, followed by 3 Neilsen followed by 3 Jonsson and it all looked a bit predicatable and unlikely, so I thought I'd try to think of one less obvious winner.

Per was a bit inconsistent sometimes, so I thought I'd put Jimmy in as my 'Mark Loram'.

interesting thread!

I would , no, will argue with Norbold about 1972. Olsen beat Ivan at Wembley. When he passed him at Belle Vue in the BLRC, Ivan pulled up. Over the season Olsen was fantastic. In my view his best ever.In 1972 Olsen was the best rider in the world.

1990: Jan O Pedersen

1991: Jan O Pedersen

1992: Jan O Pedersen

In 1990, a few weeks before the final on that brilliant racing track at Bradford, our man got injured and the collected shout of B******* could be heard for weeks in large parts of the Black Country thereafter.....

1990: Jan O Pedersen

1991: Jan O Pedersen

1992: Jan O Pedersen

In 1990, a few weeks before the final on that brilliant racing track at Bradford, our man got injured and the collected shout of B******* could be heard for weeks in large parts of the Black Country thereafter.....

But if he did get injured then he wouldn't have won the GP series either. I do know what you are saying though - Jan O was for the most part, top man in 1990.

interesting thread!

I would , no, will argue with Norbold about 1972. Olsen beat Ivan at Wembley. When he passed him at Belle Vue in the BLRC, Ivan pulled up. Over the season Olsen was fantastic. In my view his best ever.In 1972 Olsen was the best rider in the world.

Yes, you could be right about 1972. It was the one year, Ole topped Ivan in the averages too. OK, I'll give you that one! :)

i thought Billy Sanders was more likely in 1983.... i'm sure he was one of the hot favourites

Dunno about Billy being a favourite for 1983 but he won me £30 (about £62 in todays money!),I drew him on the coach sweepstake and they paid out for the top three places,one happy 12 year old that day :D

i went along to Wembley 81, LA 82, then to Norden 83 each time rooting for Carter to see so near yet so far each time...

after Norden in 83 (with the Wimbledon coach) we went to Amsterdam for the big meeting there where we were trying to get Sanders to come and ride for Wimbledon and he actually seemed pretty keen... there had already been lots of speculation at that time anyway.

1982 I would have said KC to win.

1983 either Michael Lee or Billy Sanders.

Also people seem to forget that in 1992 Gary Havelock was absolutely brilliant all season. He finished in the top 3 scorers in every WC round he rode in that year. A lot of people don't like Havvy but he deserved it that season :!: :!: :evil: