British Speedway Forum

Speedway Riders' Benevolent Fund Meeting 29/03

Average meeting but well worth my 15 quid (and four for a programme ;)) given the cause. Really rather disappointed that Crump + Woffy decided not to have a run-off, plenty of fans, me included, wanted to see one. :angry:

Couple of good heats, the best being provided by the Bees themed race between Barker, Sitera, Nicholls and Kennett. Cracking stuff.

Nicholls was hilariously bad. If he was trying, then hahahaha, if not, shame on him. Still provided me with plenty of entertainment :D

Sitera looked good, the best I've seen him so far, his biggest problem being the amount of room he gives riders trying to pass him. Just seem to move out of their way. The one time he did try and stop someone coming through, it was Compton, who had he not yielded to, would extremely easily have t-boned him after the third bend dive.

Barker looked very good. Didn't have him down as a 'Sheffield rider' before the PLRC but he looks pretty damn good there.

Kennett was, as expected, rather poor. Not his sort of track at all and was found lacking against riders he really shouldn't have been.

For the rest, Woffinden was excellent, Adams after a dodgy first effort was untouchable, and Crump didn't have quite the pace that Adams had. Lindgren was average but was certainly trying hard all afternoon and Ashworth did very well in some cracking company so well done to him.

This is one of my reason id have all the young lads in Team GB they are up and coming and can only improve where as Nicholls is on the way down. :approve:

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Decent enough meeting and a good crowd. Got there at 2.30 thinking I'd get a decent parking space and the car park was already full.

Adma was fantastic - apart from his James Wright-esque gate in his first race, as were Crump and Woffinden. I was very impressed with both Tai and Ben Barker and kind of think it might be worth a change of guard in the GB team this year and writing off trying to win anything in place of giving these lads more World Cup experience. They certainly won't let us down in terms of effort, and looked on a par at least with Scott Nicholls.

I noticed Ricky Ashworth's leg out too. Not sure he actually kicked anyone though.

Good (in a weird way) to see all the wheelchair bound riders out on parade although slightly disturbing to notice that Joe Owen looks a bit like Alison Moyet these days. Great to see Briggo going round too.

Decent enough meeting and a good crowd. Got there at 2.30 thinking I'd get a decent parking space and the car park was already full.

Adma was fantastic - apart from his James Wright-esque gate in his first race, as were Crump and Woffinden. I was very impressed with both Tai and Ben Barker and kind of think it might be worth a change of guard in the GB team this year and writing off trying to win anything in place of giving these lads more World Cup experience. They certainly won't let us down in terms of effort, and looked on a par at least with Scott Nicholls.

I noticed Ricky Ashworth's leg out too. Not sure he actually kicked anyone though.

Good (in a weird way) to see all the wheelchair bound riders out on parade although slightly disturbing to notice that Joe Owen looks a bit like Alison Moyet these days. Great to see Briggo going round too.

Pretty appalling comment about Joe, what an a***hole, probably from a typical speedway fan who has never sat on a speedway bike never mind slide one at any speed. I thought Joe looked well, buoyant and to the contrary quite fit and strong. He has always been a broad looking guy and looked as strong as an ox.

As for the meeting every rider to my mind was going for it. Not everyone can get in the top three, no one short changed the paying public for lack of effort. Yes great to see some emerging Brits and let's hope they get some experience in some big meetings, but come on Scott is hardly passed it and I still rate him as one of our top three Brits. Just think he could soon come second fiddle to young Tai.

Finally well done to young Kyle Howarth (Britains got talent) who had never seen Sheffield before taking on more experienced contempories considering he only sat on a speedway bike for the first time last July. One to watch with a good team behind him.

Pretty appalling comment about Joe, what an a***hole, probably from a typical speedway fan who has never sat on a speedway bike never mind slide one at any speed. I thought Joe looked well, buoyant and to the contrary quite fit and strong. He has always been a broad looking guy and looked as strong as an ox.

I agree. He also looked like Alison Moyet. So what? Scott Nicholls looks like the bloke who won the X-Factor a couple of years ago. Can I not say that either because I've never sat on a speedway bike?

I didn't mean the Alison Moyet comment as derogatory to Joe.

And Sam Ermolenko looks like Martina Navratilova.

Great to see so many people atttend this meeting, probably a few more yesterday than at the Ozchem which was an excellent turn out too.Long may it continue, & also hope the meeting is shared around the tracks in future years.

27 races was excellent value for £19 all told.

Leigh Adams a worthy winner & agree would have like to see Tai & Jason race-off.

Good too see Ben do so well in good company, Heat 8, the one that i called the ALL BEES race was the most entertaining of the day, do agree Scott looked rather sluggish & there may be yet another argument that his decision to turn away from british racing is an error of judgment. :unsure:

Tai was a joy to watch.

Nice to see Adam up & about, once again his determination does him proud.

Really enjoyed watching the old boys too & Coventry's Vic Emms, ooh wee. :approve:

Marc Owen & Jason Garrity really are 2 boys to keep an eye on.

Finally a read of the programme & the poignancy of some of those ex-rider interveiws brings it home how very important it is that this meeting continues to flourish.

Paul Ackroyd, take a bow

Edited by colincooke

Adma was fantastic - apart from his James Wright-esque gate in his first race, as were Crump and Woffinden.

It's the gate three curse, no wins from gate three and me and my mate always refer to it as a graveyard! If GP riders can't get away from it then it's def a dodgy starting gate!

Finally a read of the programme & the poignancy of some of those ex-rider interveiws brings it home how very important it is that this meeting continues to flourish.

Very well said, one of the stories almost moved me to tears it was so heartbreaking. Of course all the stories were sad in that riders had their careers cut short. However, in many respects they were quite uplifting the way the riders all said they wouldn't have changed anything and they had all retained a huge affection for the sport / people in speedway.

Very well said, one of the stories almost moved me to tears it was so heartbreaking.

That would be John Simmons wouldn't it GM.

Felt exactly the same.

really enjoyed watching the old boys too & Coventry's Vic Emms, ooh wee.

Was it really Vic Emms (only querying because I wasn't there) or are you going an ooh wee bit too far back and it was Cliff Emms? :wink:

Finally well done to young Kyle Howarth (Britains got talent)

So which one was he on Britain's got talent? The Singing in the Rain lad? :unsure:

Edited by Gemini

speedwaysquashman your right kyle is a very promising talent but he was stood next to me last sunday when scunny was there so not the first time he s seen it .

Apologies..........meant ridden it.

Think young Garrity was injured............he flies round Belle Vue would have been interesting to see how he would have ridden a big fast track like Sheffield. Normally see's off Marc Owen but Kyle is the one making remarkeable progress at the moment

Was it really Vic Emms (only querying because I wasn't there) or are you going an ooh wee bit too far back and it was Cliff Emms? :wink:

You're right he he :lol::oops:

I thought the meeting was good yesterday and we had good value for money.

tai woffinden just keeps impressing me every time i see him and he showed scotty how to ride sheffield! does anybody else reckon that scott is having second thoughts about missing out on the elite league now?

the youngsters also impressed me. there race times got quicker by every race which was very good to see :)

overall, plenty of money was raised for the srbf which is all that mattered really.

What about him sticking his foot out on the back straight when the referee could not see it and kicking Lindgren? If I was Lindgren I'd have punched the little sod.

yeah and ricky would of punched you back twice as hard :angry: ,,,i was standing on turn 3 and i could see ricky in front , he did put his leg out not to kick but to

counter balance . Lindgren didnt seem to mind so why do you ?

yeah and ricky would of punched you back twice as hard ,,,i was standing on turn 3 and i could see ricky in front , he did put his leg out not to kick but to

Wayhay, telling off SCB with your 1st post, like your style. :wink::P

tbh, there's far worse than him on here matey. :shock:

Didn't see anything wrong meself but then all's fair when it comes to Wolves riders. :wink:

As for Compton in 14, well that's a different matter :angry:

yeah and ricky would of punched you back twice as hard :angry: ,,,i was standing on turn 3 and i could see ricky in front , he did put his leg out not to kick but to

So even the person defending him cannot deny he stuck his leg out. :unsure:

As for Compton in 14, well that's a different matter :angry:

Typical Sheffield move, done every week by the home riders.