British Speedway Forum

Ozchem Classic On Sunday, March 15

Very enjoyable meeting to start the year.

Not been to Owlerton before but will go again at some point. Could have done with a bit more passing (as always!) but I thought the riders all rode with great spirit - Darren + Sharon would have been proud.

Nice touch to allow Ricky Wells to have some extra practice after the meeting along with the Sheffield boys. He may not have scored any points but I dont think he will take too long to get going. I'm not sure I'd want my first U.K meeting to be at possibly the fastest track in the U.K!

I think Ricky Wells will done fine and if you dont want him at Cov send him to us at Sheffield for a season or two because he was never far off the pace on a track he's probably never seen the likes of before. He had a tidy riding style and i notice he was talking to Greg Hancock all night. Obviously keen to listen and learn off the best ! His bike looked great too, everything in black, it looked like the Batmobile !!!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hands off, he's ours!!!!! (despite what my fellow Bees fans say!)

Agree he wasnt too far off all night. Greg has been encouraging him for some time now and its interesting to note that Ricky is being helped by Billy Hammill's old crew. As Ive said in other posts, he is very determined, has good support and as you said, the bikes are something else!!!

Thoroughly enjoyable meeting.

Each rider can be proud of the feast they served up for Darren, Sharon & of course Jack.

An excellent turn out too.

.......and to the lady who was trying to pinch my Rooboy cap, hands off. :wink::lol:

Edited by colincooke

I enjoyed yesterday's meeting and there was some decent racing.

Greg, Crumpy, Rory Schlein and Tai Woffinden all looked very good and Tai's first/second bend in the final was the highlight of the night. Josh Auty also impressed me and as he's starting the season at reserve, i think you Sheffield fans are onto a winner especially at home.

It was a good start to the season and a great tribute to Darren & Sharon Boocock. :)

I think these photos rather support the standard of lighting at Owlerton

Just as an aside, what's happened to the usual souvenir seller, who's been there for more years than either he or I would care to remember? Seemed to be just selling Tony Mac's magazines

Just as an aside, what's happened to the usual souvenir seller, who's been there for more years than either he or I would care to remember? Seemed to be just selling Tony Mac's magazines

Fans complained last year that there wasn't enough merch so someone new has took over from what i gather

tis true,mick gregory (who many people will also remember from track shops at bradford and halifax) has hung up his trestle tables (?) and been replaced by jeff dooley who has promised a good set-up including an on-line shop. (i'll post the link when i find it)

Not quite true that Mick has hung up his trestle tables just yet,I did notice that he was selling magazines near the entrance.