British Speedway Forum

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am considering going to Czech GP for the first time this seaason.

I was wondering if people could help with a few questions:

Recommended and fairly cheap hotels close to the centre of Prague?

What area is best to stay in? Would be nice to do a few bars and nightclubs whilst out there.

How do you travel from the airport to the City centre?

Is the track within walking distance from the City centre?

Is the practice on Friday open to the general public? If so, what time does it take place?

Where is best place to buy tickets from?

Where would you recommend to watch from in the Stadium?

Thanks everyone! :)

I am considering going to Czech GP for the first time this seaason.

I was wondering if people could help with a few questions:

Recommended and fairly cheap hotels close to the centre of Prague?

What area is best to stay in? Would be nice to do a few bars and nightclubs whilst out there.

How do you travel from the airport to the City centre?

Is the track within walking distance from the City centre?

Is the practice on Friday open to the general public? If so, what time does it take place?

Where is best place to buy tickets from?

Where would you recommend to watch from in the Stadium?

Thanks everyone! :)

there are plenty of hotels to choose from. try booking.com

loads of bars around the old square.

we always get the cedaz taxi service from the airport. its a mini bus service which takes you direct to your hotel.

you need to get the number 22 tram from the centre and get of at vypich. it would be a long long uphill walk!

i have always stood on the back straight where it goes into bend 3 but as the stadium is being changed, the 2nd bend will fill up very quick!

Prague is one of the best GP's to go to for ease and convenience.

We generally grab a cab from the airport (price agreed before getting in!)

The main area which has all the pubs and town square etc is Praha 1 (Prague 1).

Old Town Square is where the main bars and restaurants are. But a few things have changed over the last couple of years.

In some of the restaurants there is a cover charge (per person) for sitting out on the 'pavement'! Also they now seems to be doing a charge if there is live music.

A lot of the accomadation is around Wencalas Square - the maining shopping centre but with hotels all around.

And if you do have the time the sites are wonderful. The Castle and scenery is wonderful.

Enjoy

http://www.pragueexperience.com/accommodation/hotels.asp

try this website as it has everything you want like bars and hotels. transport from and to the airport can be arranged from the site. we have used it on many occasions and they are very reliable.

if there are 3 or 4 of you a taxi is a good choice to the stadium as it takes about 15 minutes from the centre. taxis wait outside on way back

prague is full of bars with the real cheap beers off the main squares. there are some english bars to get home food.

prague is a lovely city but the racing could be better. sometimes no dirt and boring racing

tickets via website

you get a good view from everywhere in the stadium, pits are on bend 3 / 4. It is rowdy on bend 1 and 2 because our polish firends get full of beer and many have no manners so just push past

We've been to Prague for the last two years. Enjoyed every time and want to go again this year.

Not sure what we paid last year but two years ago we paid 580czk to stand (plus a 30czk booking fee). Don't think it was much more in czk to stand last year but obviously it worked out more because the pound had fallen so much against the Koruna. We book on line through Ticketstream (as I think you have to) and had no problems.

Work out the prices this year!

The stadium has many more seats now and the cheapest ones appear to be 950.00czk. I can only book them online through Ticketstream.cz with a credit card (like I do every year). My credit card company are giving me approx 27.68czk to the pound, making the price of a ticket around £34-35. There is a cheaper price available of 700.00czk but I think this is for standing as the colour code it relates to isn't available. No problem with standing as we have stood for the last two years, except you cannot appear to buy standing tickets on line. They are only available on the day, which presents problems:

The flight we want doesn't get into Prague until Saturday afternoon. If there are only a limited amount of standing tickets for sale (as much of the old standing area is now seating) I don't want to run the risk of the standing tickets all being gone by the time we get to the stadium. It looks like the only standing area is now the second bend. It used to be the whole of bend 2 plus the back straight.

I know the poor exchange rate is a massive factor, but the price we may pay for tickets this year will be around double what I recall we paid two years ago! Two years ago you were getting around 40czk to the pound. My GP tickets in 2007 cost around £15-£16!

Even with seating, the Marketa Stadium is hardly Cardiff, but it will work out more expensive to get a seat there! Not sure I am going to let the fact that my ticket price has doubled stop me going but if the other people I want to go with don't fancy the extra cost, we might have to knock it on the head.

Edited by G the Bee

Search the forum for previous Prague topics. LOADS of info has been put on here over the last few years. Prague is a fantastic city and a must for anyone that enjoys travel. The speedway is a bonus, or it should be. The last two GPs there have been crap and served only to waste drinking time.

:)

Search the forum for previous Prague topics. LOADS of info has been put on here over the last few years. Prague is a fantastic city and a must for anyone that enjoys travel. The speedway is a bonus, or it should be. The last two GPs there have been crap and served only to waste drinking time.

:)

Clearly many go for the GP but if you want a trip to the Czech Republic, save your money and go over for the Golden Helmet weekend. The speedway will be infinately better and you get to see Prague and Pardubice which is also a decent city

For any trips first go to www.quidco .com and sign up. Then go to to Hotel.com or others on this site as this willl get you on average 10% discount on hotel prices. Last year I booked the 5 star Corinth Towers for two and the cost was £130 for 3 nghts Bed and Breakfast and we were upgraded. Great value ut this year for the same 3 days is £256. Still good value. Hotel is 300 yards from Metro then 3 stops to Prague Centre.

At the airport get the bus to Prague. This will take you to the Metro which has 3 lines and a 4th to be added. The Metro will take you nearly evewhere and it is cheap and frequent. You can also take the trams or buses. I think a days ticket was £3 for all.

Last year we sat on the 3rd and 4th bends ,3 rows from the front . Great view until they graded and watered the track after heat 4 .Then we got covered in wet shale. We then moved to the home straight and sat there in the dear seats. No problem.

Prague is a great city ,certainly in the top 5 cities in Europe.

• 2 weeks later...

its cheeper to grab the number 119 bus from airport down as far as diplomat hotel, then tram to centre, you can bye tickets from airport. if your staying for more than 3 or 4 days buy a 3/4 day ticket, this will cover you foir everything ( transport) and keep it on you, as there are inspectors and its an instent fine 700 kroner now ( £25) as my friend found out when i was there in november.as mfor standing tickets. their only on sale on race day, and only on 2nd bend, which im sure all the poles that camp there will snap up, yes you can go to practice, normely 3 pm, 50 kroner. cheeper at bar outside as well. , doubles price for race day tho. if u want a programme get it on practice day, but take a print off for race day incase it rains ( like it has done b4) ill be there, near the pites this time, i 3

Edited by beercellar

Hi Clive- nice to see you are going to the GP- maybe we could meet up

Best wishes

Jackie

Yeah, be good to share a beer over there. Are you on Facebook?

My mate & I will be sitting by the exit of the second bend. We will also be there for practice, all being well.

its cheeper to grab the number 119 bus from airport down as far as diplomat hotel, then tram to centre, you can bye tickets from airport. if your staying for more than 3 or 4 days buy a 3/4 day ticket, this will cover you foir everything ( transport) and keep it on you, as there are inspectors and its an instent fine 700 kroner now ( £25) as my friend found out when i was there in november.as mfor standing tickets. their only on sale on race day, and only on 2nd bend, which im sure all the poles that camp there will snap up, yes you can go to practice, normely 3 pm, 50 kroner. cheeper at bar outside as well. , doubles price for race day tho. if u want a programme get it on practice day, but take a print off for race day incase it rains ( like it has done b4) ill be there, near the pites this time, i 3

Will definitely get the 3/4 day ticket, as I will be there for 4 days. Can you buy it at the airport?

Have the Czechs adopted the Norwegian Kroner as their currency now ?

I always thought the currency in the Czech Republic was the Czech Koruna ? :blink::unsure: