British Speedway Forum

Black/White photos. World Finals Wembley 1981/USA 1982 etc..

Gemini

Okay..I know it is a black/white photo :lol: but what colour helmet do you think the rider on the right has? Is it Red or Yellow/Black? If it's Red I might have some apologising to do.

Edit.....

Might as well get on with the apologising now as I think it must be Red and Jancarz. Sorry Steve and anyone else I misled, but I've got Gundersen on the back. At least I know it's not a new thing - I was thick all those years ago as well! :lol:

You were first Steve so you get the credit for No. 24.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good idea and I am kicking myself now for not keeping all those I won in a Speedway Star/News competition in the 1950's, which I sold about ten years ago. :-(

Okay..I know it is a black/white photo  :lol: but what colour helmet do you think the rider on the right has? Is it Red or Yellow/Black? If it's Red I might have some apologising to do.

Edit.....

Might as well get on with the apologising now as I think it must be Red and Jancarz. Sorry Steve and anyone else I misled, but I've got Gundersen on the back. At least I know it's not a new thing - I was thick all those years ago as well!  :lol:  

You were first Steve so you get the credit for No. 24.

Shame on you Gemini.

You don't know your Jancarz from your elbow ;):D

Please make sure this isn't a one-off Gem. :D

There was some some crackers in there, with some great old names. Especially loved the 82/81 World final pics. My cousin has a Dave Ellis painting (anyone got one of those?) of Les Collins at the 82 Final - its an absolute belter.

Glad you've enjoyed looking at the photos, but that's about all I have got now unless I start on Summits colour ones, but even he doesn't know who they are so it might be a

bit difficult. :lol:

Have just put a few more black/white ones on - 52 to 63.

Apologies again for leading everyone astray with Jancarz and I'm sorry to hear what happened to him. Don't ever upset the missus! :-(

53 is Tony Briggs.

55 - Steve Gresham

57 - Martin Ashby

Don't know 63 either, but I love the picture. Any idea what stadium that is? They're certainly close to the riders!

Grachan....

53 is Tony Briggs. Yes. Okay - tell me how you knew that! Have you been looking at that book again? ;-)

55 - Steve Gresham. Yes.

57 - Martin Ashby. Yes.

Don't know 63 either, but I love the picture. Any idea what stadium that is? They're certainly close to the riders! I'm wondering if it is Norwich but only because the rider in gate one looks like Billy Bales. Not much of a reason really! I agree it's a great photo and shows the difference between the starting techniques of the riders in gates one and two.

Custom House Kid.....

62 Ken Mckinley Yes.

60 Try West Ham G Barclay, Stan the Man Stevens*

Poole Bill Andrews, Bruce Cribb No, but as I've only got the names of 3 riders and there are 4 on the photo possibly one could be right. :P

I couldn't help noticing that the Poole rider in yellow/black looks very tall and almost too big for his bike. :lol:

Did he ride for West Ham in 1965? I think that is the correct year so all we need to do now is find out who was in the team that year. :? .. :lol:

Any idea? If you could list the team then I'll know if a certain rider I have on the back of the photo rode for Poole or West Ham, which will help decide if it is Stan or not.

53 is Tony Briggs. Yes. Okay - tell me how you knew that! Have you been looking at that book again

Gem...if you got to know riders by their leathers, you would know that Tony Briggs had stripey arms on them...

which makes no 59 Tony Briggs as well at Lada Indoor International at Wembley

by the way, T.Briggs celebrated his 40th birthday when we were at the VSRA meal last March...

Grachan....

53 is Tony Briggs. Yes. Okay - tell me how you knew that! Have you been looking at that book again? ;-)

As if!! No, easy one for me that as I used to go to Reading every week at that time. It was a simple mathematical equation.

Racer + Falling off = Tony Briggs.

No sweat. :)

Is that definitely West Ham then? I was wondering if it was Oxford as it looks like the corner of the old (but still standing) hanger style bar on the fourth bend. There used to be a wooden stand just after it too. I'm only guessing though.

Im still convinced that's Stan Stevens for West Ham on the inside pic 60!

I'm not now I have a bit more information about the team! ;-) Yes, it is Brian Leonard, but the other West Ham rider (if my caption is right) is not Stan Stevens.

Gem...if you got to know riders by their leathers, you would know that Tony Briggs had stripey arms on them...

which makes no 59 Tony Briggs as well at Lada Indoor International at Wembley.

I am impressed Steve. :D

No. 59 was pretty easy though because it does say Briggo on his leathers. :P

Is that definitely West Ham then? I was wondering if it was Oxford as it looks like the corner of the old (but still standing) hanger style bar on the fourth bend. There used to be a wooden stand just after it too. I'm only guessing though.

If you mean picture 60 then it is definitely West Ham because they are at home to Poole. Doesn't anyone recognise that tall Pirate chappie?

Also what about No 63 - could it be The Firs, Norwich?

Strange how that section of the crowd seems to be predominently male, not like nowadays when a lot of females attend. :lol: