British Speedway Forum

Maximum/paid Maximum Query

Ross Garrigan

Here is a poser for the history buffs. If a rider in 1949 scored 10 points from his four rides in a match, winning on two occasions and finishing second to a team mate in his other two races, was his score referred to as a maximum or paid maximum or neither?

These days I find in print a score such as that referred to above mentioned as both a maximum and a paid maximum. I don't know the situation back in 1949.

Here is a poser for the history buffs. If a rider in 1949 scored 10 points from his four rides in a match, winning on two occasions and finishing second to a team mate in his other two races, was his score referred to as a maximum or paid maximum or neither?

These days I find in print a score such as that referred to above mentioned as both a maximum and a paid maximum. I don't know the situation back in 1949.

The situation as in 1949 is the way I understand how a paid maximum is composed.

Edited by speedyguy

They also referred to it as a 'virtual maximum' for a while before the 'paid' caught on.

Thanks to speedyguy and tigerowl for their responses.

I decided to email John Chaplin and see if he could help. Just in case anyone is interested in this topic, here is section of John's response to my query: -

"Further to my earlier e-mail.

There were no bonus points as such and a maximum was described as 'The Lot'. Points dropped when a rider finished behind a team mate were never counted in a rider's total, so when a rider was unbeaten by an opponent, that was what was said.

Hope this helps.

John"

I do not remember "paid" maximums as such from those days. On the Researcher website results, for Norwich results, I have included bonus points for comparison purposes and I think others doing the site have done the same as I have. I am pretty certain there were no bonus points in pre=war matches