British Speedway Forum

High Beech 2009

IAN2

I appreciate your views Harry but as has been said if we didn't have the Speedway Museum in Paradise Wildlife Park we probably wouldn't have one at all.

I also appreciate your views about High Beech, though there is nothing to stop anyone else organising an event there. However, as the event and entry to the Museum will be free on 8 February perhaps you might consider coming along and giving it a go. :)

Edited by norbold

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate your views Harry but as has been said if we didn't have the Speedway Museum in Paradise Wildlife Park we probably wouldn't have one at all.

I also appreciate your views about High Beech, though there is nothing to stop anyone else organising an event there. However, as the event and entry to the Museum will be free on 8 February perhaps you might consider coming along and giving it a go. :)

Norbold,

I see on this thread that it is continuly stated that entry to the park and museum is free next Sunday, however I see in the advert in this weeks Speedway Star that entry is free with the advert in the Star.

There are 5 of us heading down from Mildenhall, 4 adverts and 1 child, could you please confirm what it the correct situation, as we do not want to turn up with out 5 speedway star advert's and end up being asked for £75!

Many thanks

Phil

Hi Phil

Entry will be free for the event. Just say you are going to it and you will all be let in free.

When we were shown the draft of the advert and leaflet at the last Committee meeting, Bert Harkins and I asked why it said "entry free with this advert/leaflet" and asked for it to be removed as we had agreed that entry would be free for all to the event and the museum.

The reason the Park gave for wanting it on there was so that they would have some idea at the gate who was coming for the celebration and who was just a normal visitor to the Park, who will, of course, still be charged entry. However, they agreed to tell the people on the gate that if anyone said they had come for the "Celebration of Speedway" they were to be let in free with or without the advert/leaflet.

I hope that helps.

Norman

Hi Phil

Entry will be free for the event. Just say you are going to it and you will all be let in free.

When we were shown the draft of the advert and leaflet at the last Committee meeting, Bert Harkins and I asked why it said "entry free with this advert/leaflet" and asked for it to be removed as we had agreed that entry would be free for all to the event and the museum.

The reason the Park gave for wanting it on there was so that they would have some idea at the gate who was coming for the celebration and who was just a normal visitor to the Park, who will, of course, still be charged entry. However, they agreed to tell the people on the gate that if anyone said they had come for the "Celebration of Speedway" they were to be let in free with or without the advert/leaflet.

I hope that helps.

Norman

Thanks for clearing that up Norman.

Looking forward to next sundays event :approve:

Phil

• 3 weeks later...
I know a few weeks have passed, but it was clear to see that the Speedway Museum was a good choice for this year's celebration of Speedway. A lot more room, even Hagon setting up a display tent.

The traditionalists won't like it, but I have to agree with you Andrew.

Edited by Shadders

The traditionalists won't like it, but I have to agree with you Andrew.

Well I certainly could not, by any wildest estimation, be called a High Beech "traditionalist" as actually I only ever went to one of the events there...: ironically the 80th. anniversary in 2008: what looks like being the LAST time such an event will be held at the King's Oak... :shock::cry:

And I AM a big supporter of the Museum - having helped out in a modest small way with George & Linda's fund-raising and having the massive privilege of being invited by them to the Opening Day in ‘07...: when a starting gate was erected and Luke Bowen and Chris Neath broke the tapes on their bikes to open the place... :approve:

But I am puzzled nonetheless by the decision to 'move' the early Feb anniversary event to Paradise Park from the place (High Beech) it surely obviously should be at... Seems to me the 'solution' is to have a big event every year at the Museum...; but NOT to have this replace the hugely symbolic pilgrimage to that extraordinarily evocative place deep in Epping Forest at the point our sport here in the UK remembers its dramatic beginning... :neutral:

Edited by Parsloes 1928 nearly

Well I certainly could not, by any wildest estimation, be called a High Beech "traditionalist" as actually I only ever went to one of the events there...: ironically the 80th. anniversary in 2008: what looks like being the LAST time such an event will be held at the King's Oak... :shock::cry:

And I AM a big supporter of the Museum - having helped out in a modest small way with George & Linda's fund-raising and having the massive privilege of being invited by them to the Opening Day in ‘07...: when a starting gate was erected and Luke Bowen and Chris Neath broke the tapes on their bikes to open the place... :approve:

But I am puzzled nonetheless by the decision to 'move' the early Feb anniversary event to Paradise Park from the place (High Beech) it surely obviously should be at... Seems to me the 'solution' is to have a big event every year at the Museum...; but NOT to have this replace the hugely symbolic pilgrimage to that extraordinarily evocative place deep in Epping Forest at the point our sport here in the UK remembers its dramatic beginning... :neutral:

I agree that, from a purely historical viewpoint, it would be a shame if High Beech ended up being forgotten, but what other date has any significance that could be lent to the museum?

Coming at it from the angle of nothing but a punter, it would be nice if I could enjoy the museum and the park for free and in warmer weather, but I think it's fair to say the owner has put more than enough into it for us not to expect him to give up a day's revenue in high season, just for speedway supporters.

I think now might be a good time to let go of the past and start thinking ahead; there's never going to be any more racing at High Beech, it isn't up to the task of hosting a major event, and the date is the best excuse possible for attracting (much needed) visitors to the museum.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Edited by DK Rides Again

Well, of course, the original idea was to alternate between the two venues, so that High Beech would not be forgotten. However, there has been so much positive feedback about the event at PPW and how much better the facilities are compared to High Beech that this might have to be reconsidered.

As I have said before, the Speedway Museum does not have a monopoly on organising speedway events and maybe someone else could organise a get together at High Beech on or near the anniversary. It wouldn't have to be a big event but just something to honour the memory.

Over to you, Derek! (We could put up a set of traffic lights on red and you could give a demonstration of driving during the day... :P )

There's absolutely no reason why some sort of commemoration can't be held at High Beech (or Beach..who knows?) as close to the actual date in February as possible, but for me just for the sake of access PWP has to be the place to hold some sort of event every year.

• 4 months later...

I have just returned from the latest Speedway Museum Committee meeting and we have decided to hold the 2010 Celebration of Speedway at the Museum again. It will be on 21 February.

Following the amount of positive feedback we had after this year's event it was felt it would be in everyone's interests, stall holders and visitors, to hold it at the Museum again rather than High Beech.

I will give more details nearer to the event, but it is hoped it will be at least as big as last year and hopefully bigger. It will probably also include the official opening of the new extension to the Museum.

I have just returned from the latest Speedway Museum Committee meeting and we have decided to hold the 2010 Celebration of Speedway at the Museum again. It will be on 21 February.

Following the amount of positive feedback we had after this year's event it was felt it would be in everyone's interests, stall holders and visitors, to hold it at the Museum again rather than High Beech.

I will give more details nearer to the event, but it is hoped it will be at least as big as last year and hopefully bigger. It will probably also include the official opening of the new extension to the Museum.

Oh dear, that's gonna upset a few people ..... Not me though, I much preferred the accessibility of the museum site.

• 2 weeks later...

My little one will be pleased if we get free admission to the park again!!

Hi Norman hope you are well! :approve:

Perhaps the speedway Museum event could be held on another date allowing someone a chance to run an event at High Beech. (Traditional date) running 2 events on the same day would not be helpful to either party :wink:

I by the way I would be happy to attend High Beech. I see the museum as an all year round thing that could be promoted at High Beech

Ray

Edited by Custom House Kid

Hi Norman hope you are well! :approve:

Perhaps the speedway Museum event could be held on another date allowing someone a chance to run an event at High Beech. (Traditional date) running 2 events on the same day would not be helpful to either party :wink:

I by the way I would be happy to attend High Beech. I see the museum as an all year round thing that could be promoted at High Beech

Ray

If (and it seems to me a big if) someone came along and said they would like to organise an event at High Beech in February, I am certain (as we did in fact discuss it) the Speedway Museum would be happy to rearrange our event for later in the year. So, if you are serious about organising an event at High Beech, Ray, I'm sure we could come to some accommodation.

Though, to be fair to everyone, we would need to know fairly soon before much effort has gone in to the organisation of our event.

Edited by norbold

If (and it seems to me a big if) someone came along and said they would like to organise an event at High Beech in February, I am certain (as we did in fact discuss it) the Speedway Museum would be happy to rearrange our event for later in the year. So, if you are serious about organising an event at High Beech, Ray, I'm sure we could come to some accommodation.

Though, to be fair to everyone, we would need to know fairly soon before much effort has gone in to the organisation of our event.

Hi mate sorry, although I would love to organise said event I am still full time employed doing 2 jobs and not to mention my cricket commitments. Time constraints dictate I’m afraid. I have not yet joined the ranks of the Bus Pass brigade! :lol:

Another year perhaps :shock:

I was just pointing out the problem which could occur if you run 2 events. which would make anyone thinking of running at High Beech reconsider shutting the door on any future event. :cry:

From a purely business point of view I think it is better to hold satellite events at different sites advertising the product not one off specials at the main venue :wink:

Hi mate sorry, although I would love to organise said event I am still full time employed doing 2 jobs and not to mention my cricket commitments. Time constraints dictate I’m afraid. I have not yet joined the ranks of the Bus Pass brigade! :lol:

Yes, but that's the problem. Who else would run the event? If someone comes along to do it, fine. We had this discussion last year with people saying we ought to have an event at High Beech in February, but no-one came along to volunteer to organise it.