British Speedway Forum

Perry Barr 1948 / Eric Williams

Ross Garrigan

I know this is a long shot, but one thing I’ve learnt in life is that if you don’t ask, you’ll never know.

Eric Williams and I have been discussing his horrific racing accident at Perry Barr in the very early part of the 1948 season. He spent quite a long period in hospital and was visited while he was in there by some of the Birmingham supporters. What I would like to know is the best way to go about trying to contact any of those who either visited Eric in hospital in Birmingham or were at the track on the occasion of the accident.

I thought maybe a Birmingham website if someone can suggest one suitable. OR maybe someone reading this may know a person who followed Birmingham in 1948.

We have the printed reports of the accident, and Eric recalls what caused it, but after that his mind is a blank on the subject. He remembers the coming together of the two motor cycles but nothing of what happened then.

Any suggestions please?

Edited by Ross Garrigan

I know this is a long shot, but one thing I’ve learnt in life is that if you don’t ask, you’ll never know.

Eric Williams and I have been discussing his horrific racing accident at Perry Barr in the very early part of the 1948 season. He spent quite a long period in hospital and was visited while he was in there by some of the Birmingham supporters. What I would like to know is the best way to go about trying to contact any of those who either visited Eric in hospital in Birmingham or were at the track on the occasion of the accident.

I thought maybe a Birmingham website if someone can suggest one suitable. OR maybe someone reading this may know a person who followed Birmingham in 1948.

We have the printed reports of the accident, and Eric recalls what caused it, but after that his mind is a blank on the subject. He remembers the coming together of the two motor cycles but nothing of what happened then.

Any suggestions please?

I have posted this message on the Brummies speedway forum.

I seem to remember reading about Eric being in hospital after the leg had started to heal. He had a dream he was about to fall, shot his leg out of bed .............. and promptly rebroke it. I agree Brian Buck would be the chap to contact Ross, as he is "Mr Brummie" when it comes to the track history