British Speedway Forum

When Is "the Time"?

Lost a lot of money but i will still go to all the g.p.

With all respect, we know you're pretty well off and indeed well done for investing money back into speedway.

But surely it is the ordinary supporters who were hit by the Gelsenkirchen fiasco. £400-£500 is a LOT of money to most people.

There needs to be some sort of action taken against what happened in Gelsenkirchen. The buck has to stop somewhere. I would suggest it's with the GP Race Director and therefore Olsen must lose his job.

All the best

Rob

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With all respect, we know you're pretty well off and indeed well done for investing money back into speedway.

But surely it is the ordinary supporters who were hit by the Gelsenkirchen fiasco. £400-£500 is a LOT of money to most people.

There needs to be some sort of action taken against what happened in Gelsenkirchen. The buck has to stop somewhere. I would suggest it's with the GP Race Director and therefore Olsen must lose his job.

All the best

Rob

B)

All the best

Rob

Did Len Silver lose his job preparing the Wembley track after 1975, (an even bigger farce than Germany by the way) of course not, truth was he was still the best person for the job and learning from past mistakes went on to produce two of the best ever world final tracks

Lost a lot of money but i will still go to all the g.p.

There's now surely no doubt that Olsen's reputation for being responsible for laying temporary tracks lays in tatters.

4 temporary tracks this year saw 2 downright dangerous (Ullevi & Cardiff), 1 really good (Copenhagen), and 1 that just didn't happen. A strike rate of just 25% isn't good enough.

My wife and I like to have a weekend away per year (a break from the kids !), it's usually been Bydgoszcz but this year we decided to do the Czech Golden Helmet weekend instead as somewhere and something new, with a hotel in Copenhagen booked for the GP in '09 as it's a GP we've never done.

As soon as Gelsenkirchen was cancelled we scratched our weekend in Copenhagen, despite that track being fine this year, what gaurantee do we have that the track will be up for it next year ?

BSI must know that they've gone backwards in terms of building temporary tracks, and with just 3 next year they must know that 1 more **** up and it'll be the end of them.

Say practice at Cardiff next year serves up a dangerous track, and the riders revolt as they came close to this year, then the jewel in their expensive crown will be totally tarnished.

Did Len Silver lose his job preparing the Wembley track after 1975, (an even bigger farce than Germany by the way) of course not, truth was he was still the best person for the job and learning from past mistakes went on to produce two of the best ever world final tracks

But i'm sick of seeing the same old story with watching bloody slick racing.

Tbh, Gollob barley has an advantage at Bydgoszcz because the track is set up so slick & differently compared to 'the norm' its pretty much a different track :unsure:

I would love to see someone Like Castagna or Penhall, or someone thats made it in the sport, however that aren't exactly interested in favouring their own...

And Olsen clearly favours the danes, and he prefers slick tracks, he always sets them up. Although he doesn't do the grading etc, he tells all the track staff to set it up like that.

Please someone get rid of olsen!!!

Its also coming to the stage where, its not becoming 'boring racing' on the slick tracks set up by olsen... its getting to the stage of 'DANGEROUS RACING!!!'

Although we've already crossed the mark after the Cardiff & Ullevi

Womble

Edited by WimbledonDon

I emailed Nicola Sands at BSI, I said I knew it wasn't her that was personally responsible for the cancelation, but as hers was the only email on the website, could she give me an explanation.. She basically didnt at all, just apologised.

To be honest though, what did you expect? They're not going to tell you anything beyond what they're already said, particularly if there's a potential of opening themselves up to compensation claims.

And why isn't Nicola Sands responsible? She's a fairly senior person responsible for the organisation of GPs isn't she? :unsure:

You're comparing apples and oranges again. A World Final was an annual one-off event, staged in Britain once every few years. By contrast, Olsen prepares 11 tracks (even more if you include the SWC) every season, so has far less excuse for stuffing up than Len Silver.

You're comparing apples and oranges again. A World Final was an annual one-off event, staged in Britain once every few years. By contrast, Olsen prepares 11 tracks (even more if you include the SWC) every season, so has far less excuse for stuffing up than Len Silver.

Was Len not promoting in the league at that time then?

So no management accountability whatsoever then? :rolleyes: I guess that the next time my office lift falls down its shaft, I should simply blame the technician then? :wink:

Lifts do not drop down the lift shaft unless its on tv. There is more chance of the lift running up out of control if its a traction lift and made before 1998. Any accident is investigated by the hse and if the engineer is at fault he will have the book thrown at him. The company will also recieve a large fine and maybe have there notified body approval removed.

So there is no hiding for us iam afaid.

Nonsense, at that time Wembley was still used at least annually with World Finals, Inter Continental, European and Worl Team Cup Finals, not to mention the Daily Mirror Series Final.

Wembley was not temporary in the truest sense of the word, in the main it was just hidden beneath the turf making the job much simpler than Gelsenkirchen.

Len Silver was preparing the track for all those meetings, not to memtion preparing Hackney on a weekly basis.

Why then were there not the cries for him to resign after the Fiasco in 1975, why no witch hunt trying to discredit the whole World Final system.

Quite simply it was accepted as a mistake, albeit one of monumental proportions, and lessons learned from it, none of this current trend of a frenzy of internet fuelled hype demanding a resignation, although that seems to be the way of the world these days.

What did Len do to the track at Wembley in 75, I've never heard the story ..............

You don't remember the fan who jumped the fence grabbing the hose in an attempt to be able to see some of the racing

Ask Peter Collins, I am sure he remembers it!!!

Ironically the man to benefit from that farce was none other than Ole Olsen, although to be fair he was a more than worth winner anyway.

What has the 1975 World Final got to do with the price of eggs - it was bloody ages ago. :rolleyes:

We are talking about Gelsenkirchen this year - not some World Final in the year dot. And, in any case, I don't believe a single World Final from 1936 to 1994 was called off for ANY reason.

Someone has to be held responsible for what happened in Gelsenkirchen. And where does the buck stop? In terms of track prep, it's the GP Race Director. That is Ole Olsen. And that's who should be given the boot.

All the best

Rob

What has the 1975 World Final got to do with the price of eggs - it was bloody ages ago. :rolleyes:

We are talking about Gelsenkirchen this year - not some World Final in the year dot. And, in any case, I don't believe a single World Final from 1936 to 1994 was called off for ANY reason.

Someone has to be held responsible for what happened in Gelsenkirchen. And where does the buck stop? In terms of track prep, it's the GP Race Director. That is Ole Olsen. And that's who should be given the boot.

All the best

Rob

Someone is responsible, that someone is obviously Ole Olsen. You suggest discarding years of experience in lieu of 1 cock up! Strange man.

1939 was called off with just 1 week to go. I think the FIM instigated the war so that the didn't have to run that Final. They knew the public were against the bonus point system in operation at the time and feared no one would turn up. There were no repeats scheduled on Pathe News either, what more proof do you need

Someone is responsible, that someone is obviously Ole Olsen. You suggest discarding years of experience in lieu of 1 cock up! Strange man.

1939 was called off with just 1 week to go. I think the FIM instigated the war so that the didn't have to run that Final. They knew the public were against the bonus point system in operation at the time and feared no one would turn up. There were no repeats scheduled on Pathe News either, what more proof do you need

One cock up? ONE? How about the 2003 Scandinavian GP? How about the dangerous tracks for this year's Swedish and British GPs? How about the fact that good tracks such as Bydgoszcz and Krsko are stripped of their shale and the tracks are ruined. Olsen is a menace and he should go.

As for the 1939 World Final, well maybe Adolf Hitler should be sacked as well, I suggest you find a spirit guide and contact him to tell him. :rolleyes::P

All the best

Rob