British Speedway Forum

Alan Rivett

asturmer

A 52 year old rider from Queensland called Alan Rivett rode here in Perth last night at Pinjar Park speedway. He was very spectacular and kept up with Frank Smart and beat many up and coming junior riders. He would probably be good enough for Conference League and possibly even a Premiere League Place!! He used to ride in England in the late 80,s when already 30 yrs old, does anyone recall him?

fROM 1983..TO 1991 I was the Australian International Manager. We started off with the likes of SANDERS/CRUMP/TITMAN etc...then had many barren years, until we emerged from the wilderness with Leigh Adams/ Todd Wiltshire in the later years.

During that time ALAN "POP" RIVETT came to the UK, initially for the Commonwealth Final...and later with EXETER..etc.

He was without doubt "barking mad"...in the very nicest way. We took him on a couple of World Team Cup meetings in Europe, and he promptly stuck Roman Matousek through the fence, much to everyone's great amusement. Nobody, yet nobody, ever did that...but "pop" did.

One of life's truly brilliant people, immense fun, loved by just about everyone, he was a legend at Exeter where they still regard him as a real hero.

All the riders in the Aussie camp loved him, and one of the very nicest,madest,funniest,off the planet people it has been my pleasure to meet

a wonderful character.

Long live The Pop.

JAMES EASTER

A 52 year old rider from Queensland called Alan Rivett rode here in Perth last night at Pinjar Park speedway. He was very spectacular and kept up with Frank Smart and beat many up and coming junior riders. He would probably be good enough for Conference League and possibly even a Premiere League Place!! He used to ride in England in the late 80,s when already 30 yrs old, does anyone recall him?

Recall him riding for Berwick during the Berrington Lough era.Rode at reserve and had a knack of winning Hts 2 & 8 every week,those reces became known as Pops pension.

I was also at Pinjar Park meeting AST, and said Mr Rivett certainly was spectacular and very eyecatching in his 'skeleton' kevlars. His riding belied his age and he seemed well at ease on the small circuit - a far cry from the vast expanse of the County Ground.

Frank Smart also mastered the tight turns in spectacular fashion and it was good to see Dave Cheshire too.

fROM 1983..TO 1991 I was the Australian International Manager. We started off with the likes of SANDERS/CRUMP/TITMAN etc...then had many barren years, until we emerged from the wilderness with Leigh Adams/ Todd Wiltshire in the later years.

During that time ALAN "POP" RIVETT came to the UK, initially for the Commonwealth Final...and later with EXETER..etc.

He was without doubt "barking mad"...in the very nicest way. We took him on a couple of World Team Cup meetings in Europe, and he promptly stuck Roman Matousek through the fence, much to everyone's great amusement. Nobody, yet nobody, ever did that...but "pop" did.

One of life's truly brilliant people, immense fun, loved by just about everyone, he was a legend at Exeter where they still regard him as a real hero.

All the riders in the Aussie camp loved him, and one of the very nicest,madest,funniest,off the planet people it has been my pleasure to meet

a wonderful character.

Long live The Pop.

JAMES EASTER

Thanks James, last night he wore skeleton black and white kevlars and was a real crowd pleaser, coming from the back in all his races and falling off twice, the second time excluded and therefore just missing out on the final. He was an etertainer just like the National League riders of the 70,s!!!

I was also at Pinjar Park meeting AST, and said Mr Rivett certainly was spectacular and very eyecatching in his 'skeleton' kevlars. His riding belied his age and he seemed well at ease on the small circuit - a far cry from the vast expanse of the County Ground.

Frank Smart also mastered the tight turns in spectacular fashion and it was good to see Dave Cheshire too.

Hi WA Tigerman, really enjoyed the meeting though could have reduced the numbers of pee wees and juniors or put them on before at 6pm to bed in the track! Late finish as a result! and looking forward to the next 3 meetings there!!

Hi WA Tigerman, really enjoyed the meeting though could have reduced the numbers of pee wees and juniors or put them on before at 6pm to bed in the track! Late finish as a result! and looking forward to the next 3 meetings there!!

I quite agree. They were fun to watch and certainly have their place in a meeting like that but the meeting did go on quite a while. I wondered if the track was a little over watered at the interval but it was great to see a track with some dirt on! I'd never seen the track before last night but was quite impressed. Not sure of the size but it made Eastbourne look big in comparison! Looking forward to the WA State Championships on 6 December!

Alan Rivett was spectacular on the very narrow Brisbane Exhibition Grounds track here in Brisbane. I have many fine memories of Alan's racing. One night at the Ekka he took exception to a ruling in one of his races by the Referee and promptly stopped his bike in the main straight, dismounted, scaled the safety fence, and made his way to where the Referee was seated. This really had the crowd entertained. The fine Alan received didn't help his disposition any.

Alan was quite a striking figure in his young days with his blond hair and suntan. The hair is now fast disappearing and he is paying for all the hours he spent in the sun as a youngster. He was quite a favourite at a number of clubs in the UK and still makes the odd pilgrimage back there to catch up with old friends.

Alan did race in a meeting in Queensland recently, but his appearances on the track have been very few in recent years.

Someone mentioned Alan looked good on a small circuit, small circuits are not new to him. During the short life of the VERY small Chandler Speedway here in Brisbane, Alan, together with Tony Rose, were the stars. Alan also raced a sidecar on that track. He and Tony were the mainstays of the Brisbane team in the Queensland State League.

Alan accomplished an unusual feat one season when based in the UK, he represented BOTH New Zealand AND Australia in International competition.

Alan Rivett was spectacular on the very narrow Brisbane Exhibition Grounds track here in Brisbane. I have many fine memories of Alan's racing. One night at the Ekka he took exception to a ruling in one of his races by the Referee and promptly stopped his bike in the main straight, dismounted, scaled the safety fence, and made his way to where the Referee was seated. This really had the crowd entertained. The fine Alan received didn't help his disposition any.

Alan was quite a striking figure in his young days with his blond hair and suntan. The hair is now fast disappearing and he is paying for all the hours he spent in the sun as a youngster. He was quite a favourite at a number of clubs in the UK and still makes the odd pilgrimage back there to catch up with old friends.

Alan did race in a meeting in Queensland recently, but his appearances on the track have been very few in recent years.

Someone mentioned Alan looked good on a small circuit, small circuits are not new to him. During the short life of the VERY small Chandler Speedway here in Brisbane, Alan, together with Tony Rose, were the stars. Alan also raced a sidecar on that track. He and Tony were the mainstays of the Brisbane team in the Queensland State League.

Alan accomplished an unusual feat one season when based in the UK, he represented BOTH New Zealand AND Australia in International competition.

Hi Ross,

Alan certainly was spectacular here at the tiny Pinjar circuit in Perth. Its great to hear about the blond hair and sun abuse, as Alan is now not the only head shaved bald middle aged sportsman with sun spots. I think all the 50 somethings spent too much time in the sun!!

Alan is very approachable and there were a couple of incidents on the track where he had to lay his bike down for inexperienced riders , he stayed down of course for the re run to occur!!

He was worth the gate money and I was not sure if he drove over from Brisbane to Perth!!

asturmer, I have a photograph in my collection taken of the Australian team which rode against the touring Swedish side in 1990-91 in a Test Match here in Brisbane. Alan Rivett was one of the Australian seven. The others were Western Australian super star Glenn Doyle, Troy Butler, Craig Boyce, Mick Poole, Todd Wiltshire, and Phil Crump. I can scan and send you a copy if you would like one. It is a glossy colour photograph so it may not scan perfectly.

My email address is rjgarrigan@ozemail.com.au

:o

I know sounds shocking, Paul Pinfold who you may know, was regularly driving from Quinns Rocks to Northern Queensland and often to Sydney for sidecar speedway championships!! It,s like driving from London to the Middle East!!!

"Pop" seems to spend his time rotating between Western Australia and Queensland due to work comitments.

Apart from the recent Pinjar Park outing he also represented Queensland in a teams meet against New South Wales at the Gold Coast Speedway, riding against and with a whole bunch of teenagers and really mixing it with them.

I didn't realise he was on his fifties, makes his recent achievemnets all the more remarkable.