British Speedway Forum

Andy Galvin

Bryn

Surprised Shazza hasnt been on yet moaning at people for talking about the court case. I knew the outcome on Friday night through my contacts at Brixton but kept quiet.

Good luck Andy keep yer head down and hope to see you at Purfleet when you come out.

Your "contacts" would of signed the Official Secrets Act upon taking their positions and therefore should learn to keep their mouths (like yours) well and truly shut!!!!!!

When Andy Galvin was at his peak riding for Hackney etc in the old National League, Poole Speedway were also a National League team.

Wimbledon, Arena, Hackney, Eastbourne, Poole, all were NL, Reading also I think.

I was thinking this Slickmick .... so the pop at Steve Shovlar was little little underhanded.

Cortney have sent you a message but if you are reading this PM me Dads address please. Two years is a long time for people to letter write so someone with different news is always welcomed.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FROM THE SOUTH LONDON PRESS, TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 2, 2010:

A DRUG courier who collected cocaine worth £62,500 hidden in a hollowed loaf of bread has been jailed for two years.

Former speedway rider Andrew Galvin was caught as he left a property being watched by police.

The 44-year-old said he was set to be paid £250 for job to help him with "money worries".

Jonathan McGarry, prosecuting, told Inner London Crown Court he was seen going into the address in Wordsworth Road, Walworth, on the evening of November 4, last year.

The barrister said: "He had gone to an address being kept under observation by police.

"Twenty minutes later he left with a Tesco bag which he had not been carrying when he arrived in an L-Reg Mercedes.

"Officers found £1,254 cash in his car and they were not satisfied with his explanation for it.

"They seized the Tesco bag and found the loaf of bread had been hollowed out and filled with 249g of cocaine at 67 per cent purity."

Mark Stevens, defending, said Galvin's greatest concern about his "terrible crime" was the "turmoil he has caused his family".

The court heard Galvin stopped racing after an horrific accident and now has "absolutely no assets".

Judge Duncan Matheson said he had received a series of "quite touching references" from family and friends.

Passing sentence on Friday the judge said: "It is a serious offence which carries a very long sentence at higher levels, but this is not at that level.

"I have no alternative but to impose a custodial sentence, not least as a deterrent."

Galvin, of Deborah Close, Whitstable, Kent, admitted possessing cocaine with intent to supply.

I hear that his defence was that someone told him to use his loaf :blink:

Poor Andy Galvin was just trying to earn a crust. :blink:

All the best

Rob

I suppose you could say he got toasted for it. :unsure:

On a serious front - I hope that he will be OK when he comes out - this is very sad really.

Edited by ianmartin

While there's no excuse for what he did , how come he gets a custodial , and that tosser Pete Doherty , who gets nicked every other week for drugs offences still retains his liberty ? Is it ok coz its rock 'n' roll ? Stinks like the bog door of a kipper trawler to me.

Its called money= top brief.

While there's no excuse for what he did , how come he gets a custodial , and that tosser Pete Doherty , who gets nicked every other week for drugs offences still retains his liberty ? Is it ok coz its rock 'n' roll ? Stinks like the bog door of a kipper trawler to me.

When you look at it like that - it is a disgrace what has happened to Andy. I suppose what they will trot out about Docherty is that it is for his own use - no-one else's. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It does seem as if when you are a Celebrity or a Footballer you can - by and large - get away with it. :angry::angry:

When you look at it like that - it is a disgrace what has happened to Andy. I suppose what they will trot out about Docherty is that it is for his own use - no-one else's. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

It does seem as if when you are a Celebrity or a Footballer you can - by and large - get away with it. :angry::angry:

I can't believe what I read on here sometimes. Somebody throws a red herring in the ring and some people gobble it up. I'm surprised anyone thinks that Andy's sentence is a 'disgrace' whether you compare it to some dopey rock star or not.

Regardless of Andy's circumstances, which may be unfortuntate, he got what he probably deserved - a custodial sentence for moving about a fair amount of a substance that most consider it's not a good idea to introduce your kids to.

Comparisons with Pete Doherty are just pointless.

I can't believe what I read on here sometimes. Somebody throws a red herring in the ring and some people gobble it up. I'm surprised anyone thinks that Andy's sentence is a 'disgrace' whether you compare it to some dopey rock star or not.

Regardless of Andy's circumstances, which may be unfortuntate, he got what he probably deserved - a custodial sentence for moving about a fair amount of a substance that most consider it's not a good idea to introduce your kids to.

Comparisons with Pete Doherty are just pointless.

Also Andy's crime related to supply which is treated far more seriously in law than use which is Doherty's usual crime.

Rob McCaffery.

This is the first I have seen of all this, and whilst I cannot comment on the rights or wrongs of what Andy has done, it is not my place to do so! What really p's me off the press release which ends with stating his address, why do the press find it so damn necessary to do this? can they not just say Galvin of Whitstable, Kent without naming the road too?

It bugs me every time I read these things in the local paper and they state where the accused lives, even before the trial they do it!

OK, end of mini rant now! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

I think they should legalise and tax all drugs-just like booze which can be equally devastating. If legal no more gangs, prohibition of drugs is just like prohibition of alcohol in the US in the 20's-which also didn't work and which gave rise to the powerful mafia-still with us today. So as far as I am concerned Andy Galvin is like a bootlegger in the twenties-no worse than that.