British Speedway Forum

Andy Galvin

Bryn

Yes I'm finding it hard to believe myself but tomorrow (Thursday) 'The Great Galvini" alias Andy Galvin will be celebrating his 43rd birthday!!! Having watched him from the days he practised and practised as a young teenager at Iwade and right throughout his career I've got to say what a talent he was - just a shame that he eventually was forced to quit riding by injuries. Anybody know what the old boy is doing nowadays?

Bryn

P.S. knowing he's 43 tomorrow is making ME feel really old! :rolleyes:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably watched Andy Galvin more than any other rider; my nephew idolised him.

Great captain & team riding with Chris Louis in 1988. A rider you would much rather have in your team than riding against you.

Happy Birthday!

Makes me feel like a spring chick all these years he's tried to convince I was older woooohooooo Happy Birthday Andy x

Oh what the heck! Winter's in the UK wouldn't be the same without at least one trip to hospital so Shazzy..... think you better put your reading glasses on as I stated Andy was FORTYthree today NOT FIF...... :wink::lol:

• 1 year later...

Galvin was never the brightest bulb in the box! :rolleyes:

Very sad to read today - in Backtrack, of all places.

And why wouldn't you expect to read about an 80s NL star in Backtrack!

Andy was a one-time protege of Simmo's, firstly at Crayford and then Hackney and Arena Essex, so it was appropriate for Malcolm to mention Andy and their past working relationship in his latest column.

Andy was a one-time protege of Simmo's, firstly at Crayford and then Hackney and Arena Essex, so it was appropriate for Malcolm to mention Andy and their past working relationship in his latest column.

Very true !

He was certainly one of my favourites and a heartthrob of many of the ladies :lol:

Hope you get sorted Andy.

Galvin was never the brightest bulb in the box! :rolleyes:
Yup remember him trying the hard man act on jimmy nilsen richard hellsen and erik stenlund in 88? in a challenge at hackney with Loram in the team. Amazing how many fights on and off track that night he tried to get into.

Certainly wasn't a criticism of Backtrack, Tony, more an implied criticism of Speedway Star, where I expect to read the latest news - did they suppress the story? Or maybe I just missed it?

BTW, Simmo's Column is excellent.

Sad news indeed. Must have been class A gear and lots of it as he is banged up in Brixton which is one of the top prisons in the country. Would have thought if it was minor stuff he would have been in one of the Kent nicks as thats where he lives.

I know a geezer who works there as a screw so will ask him whats going on. Having worked in prisons on the admin side what usually happens is that people get into financial trouble and get into the wrong crowd e.g. drug dealers and get offered good money by the dealers on picking up the smack and delivering it to other dealers or the users themselves. Sounds like Andy was a courier and was caught en route delivering the drugs must have been cocaine and heroin to another dealer. Stupid mistake as he is now paying the price and will defo get a few years inside. Under the prison rules though he will be entitled to home leave so will prob be at Lakeside watching a meeting sometime!!!

Edited by Vincent Vega

Certainly wasn't a criticism of Backtrack, Tony, more an implied criticism of Speedway Star, where I expect to read the latest news - did they suppress the story? Or maybe I just missed it?

Perhaps coz he's on remand (and so not yet faced trial...) that the news is considered perhaps not appropriate at this stage for the Star..?

Not that unusual for the media not to cover a story like this until the trial and its outcome... :neutral:

This forum is ever so slightly two faced, no? If it was Joe Bloggs moving drugs about that your nearest and dearest may purchase for an evening's entertainment you would be wanting them hung up from the nearest lamppost.

An old favourite speedway rider and it's more or less sympathy, internet hugs and hope he gets his life sorted out. :shock:

An old favourite speedway rider and it's more or less sympathy, internet hugs and hope he gets his life sorted out. :shock:

Personally, I am really sorry to hear this news, and feel great sympathy for Andy.

I send him big internet hugs and hope he gets his life sorted soon ;)

This forum is ever so slightly two faced, no? If it was Joe Bloggs moving drugs about that your nearest and dearest may purchase for an evening's entertainment you would be wanting them hung up from the nearest lamppost.

I quite agree with your sentiments. However, he is still on remand which I believe means that he has not yet come up for trial and therefore has not been proven guilty. If he is, then I'd want him strung up by his danglies, like I would any person found guilty of the same charges.

And TBH the 2-facedness of the forum is what makes it...um...interesting! :wink: