British Speedway Forum

Rick France

TonyMac

Sorry it's very short notice, but we'll be interviewing Riock france tomorrow evening for the next issue of Classic Speedway.

I wondered if anyone has any particualr memories of Rick's racing days, or any specific questions you'd like us to put to him?

He qualifird for the 1967 World Final but suffered a shoulder injury at Hackney shortly before. Indeed, he was plagued with recurring shoulder problems from then on and had to undergo numerous operation to it.

Here's a brief summary of where he rode:

In pre-BL days, he rode for Coventry (1960 & 64), Middlesbrough (61), Leicester (62), Wolves (63), Oxford (63), Wimbkledon (63)

BRITISH LEAGUE

1965-72 Coventry

1973 Sheffield

1974-75 Halifax

Many thanks

Tony Mac

My abiding memory of rick is from his days with the bees in the British league era when he used to click his shoulder back into place on track before a race .

Great team rider from what i recall, who indeed may have gone onto greater individual achievements but for his injuries.

My abiding memory of Rick Miller is the race at Coventry when he was the only rider left after the other 3 had been excluded and he himself was excluded by referee Geoff Dalby for "not making a bona fide effort to race." Bah!! :( Rick was only trying to entertain the crowd by popping wheelies. No harm done.

My abiding memory of Rick Miller is the race at Coventry when he was the only rider left after the other 3 had been excluded and he himself was excluded by referee Geoff Dalby for "not making a bona fide effort to race." Bah!! :( Rick was only trying to entertain the crowd by popping wheelies. No harm done.

Gem, you seem to have 'dropped a Rick' here. We're talking Rick France, not Miller!

• 3 weeks later...

Yes remember his early days at Coventry joined us again for early BL days from Wolves I think. Ask him abouthis travels with Ron Mountford to away meetings, they were business partners and mates as I recall, and many a time did'nt arrive until parade time, or later! Always getting lost they said!!

His sholder injury really did hamper him, he was on the verge of heat leader class at one stage behind Booey Lightfoot and Mountford. But the injury put paid to that.

Great rider before that injury though.