British Speedway Forum

Halloween Trophy At Scunthorpe - Friday 31st October 7.30pm

Sorry for selling the meeting in the topic but isn't that what the sport has to do?

From www.scunthorpespeedway.com

Batchelor boy joins fantastic finale

This Friday (7.30pm) the curtain comes down on the fourth season of speedway at Scunthorpe’s Eddie Wright Raceway and what a season it has been. Back in the second tier of British speedway the club have finished an impressive tenth out of sixteen in their first season at that level, finished fourth in the Premier League Fours whilst their track has produced some of the most sensational speedway in the country. However, the club plan to end the season with a bang. The most talented field of riders to grace the 285 metre track will be on display in the Halloween Trophy meeting and it will be followed by one of the areas best fireworks displays.

Leading the line-up will be Swindon Robins’ Elite League heat-leader, and fourth in World Under-21 Championship, Troy Batchelor. When Kevin Doolan had to pull out because of a King’s Lynn End of Season social function, the Aussie who has an Elite League average over seven was quick to step in and fill the void. Joining him is fellow Elite League heat leader Wolverhampton’s David Howe, Stoke’s sensational Lee Complin and Birmingham’s heat leader Craig Watson. Making up the twelve rider field are four current Scorpions and for former Scorpions.

The current Scorpions are Captain Richard Hall, Lincolnshire born and bred Carl Wilkinson plus the club’s two Swedish riders Magnus Karlsson and Viktor Bergström whilst the returnees are the ever-popular and highly talented Josh Auty, Paul Cooper, Joe Haines and Tai Woffinden (pictured). Although the original intention was to have a sixteen rider field, with a Grand Prix star rider, rider availability seems to be a national problem at this time of the season and the club felt it better to have twelve quality riders rather than make up the field with riders who wouldn’t be competitive. Promoter Rob Godfrey also felt that the shorter format was perhaps more appropriate for the last day of the British season “We’ve got an excellent fireworks display afterwards so we don’t want proceedings to drag on too long. We’ve got fifteen heats and an awesome line-up for the meeting. Any of the twelve riders could win it and every single race is going to be a classic. There are going to be heat-leaders running lasts because of the quality of the line-up. Our last meeting has always been special and this year is probably going to top the lot. I know we have two meetings this week but we haven’t had any for two Fridays and we haven’t got any for nearly five months so hopefully the fans will come out and support British youth on Monday and come see this awesome meeting on Friday”.

Friday’s full line-up is:

1. David Howe (Wolverhampton and Great Britain)

2. Viktor Bergström (Scunthorpe)

3. Josh Auty (Redcar)

4. Carl Wilkinson (Scunthorpe)

5. Tai Woffinden (Rye House and Great Britain)

6. Magnus Karlsson (Scunthorpe and Sweden)

7. Craig Watson (Birmingham)

8. Richard Hall (Scunthorpe)

9. Joe Haines (Workington)

10. Lee Complin (Stoke)

11. Troy Batchelor (Swindon and Australia)

12. Paul Cooper (Sheffield)

Edited by Scunny Stag

It looks like Silver Bee has been unlucky but I think most others are going to appreciate the quality of the replacements:

Polish Star Swiderski joins line-up

Scunthorpe Speedway have achieved a major coup by attracting the Ipswich Witches number one rider, Piotr Swiderski, to line-up in Friday’s star-studded Halloween Trophy meeting at the Eddie Wright Raceway. Swiderski who finished ahead of several Grand Prix riders in the Elite League averages has agreed to step in as a late replacement for the, now unavailable, Lee Complin. Also joining the line-up is Stuart Robson, the former Rye House star who has recently returned to action after career threatening injuries. Robson replaces Joe Haines who is now unable to make the meeting.

Scunthorpe Promoter Rob Godfrey can’t believe his luck in capturing such high quality replacements “When we decided to run on Halloween we knew riders would have completed their other commitments but we didn’t realise how many would have packed up riding for the year. However, I can’t believe the field we have put together. I’ve looked down the racecard and every heat is going to be an absolute belter. When the Scorpions faced Tai Woffinden in the league we knew it would be a special rider who would beat him. In the end it was puncture that meant he dropped a point but on Friday we’ve got three Elite League heat leaders, a bone fide number one in Piotr Swiderski, Troy Batchelor who was fourth in the World Under-21 Final and Wolverhampton’s David Howe. If you chuck in the top four Scorpions, Josh Auty, Paul Cooper, Craig Watson and Stuart Robson you can see Tai isn’t going to have it all his own way like he did last night in the British Under-18 Final. I just think this meeting is going to be the best of the year and I don’t mean just at Scunthorpe. With the racing opportunities our track provides I expect it to be breath-taking stuff.”

The revised line-up for Friday’s meeting, which starts at 7.30pm, is:

1. David Howe (Wolverhampton and Great Britain)

2. Viktor Bergström (Scunthorpe)

3. Josh Auty (Redcar)

4. Carl Wilkinson (Scunthorpe)

5. Tai Woffinden (Rye House and Great Britain)

6. Magnus Karlsson (Scunthorpe and Sweden)

7. Craig Watson (Birmingham)

8. Richard Hall (Scunthorpe)

9. Piotr Swiderski (Ipswich)

10. Stuart Robson (unattached)

11. Troy Batchelor (Swindon and Australia)

12. Paul Cooper (Sheffield)

What an absolutely superb line up. Cudos to the Scunthorpe promotion. When others moan of riders not available they dont bother putting a meeting on at all and finish the season early, and when certain other promoters put on individual meetings and have riders withdraw we get young kids riding around half a lap behind in the race selling the fans short but this obviously isnt the way Scunthorpe operate. I hope the weather is kind, i hope there is a big crowd and i hope i am able to get across too.

£11 i think

As Superstar1 stated I believe it is the normal PL admission prices for Scunny -

Adult: £11.00

Student/OAP: £9.00

Child (10 - 16): £4.00

Child (0 - 9) Free (accompanied by paying adult)

Family Ticket £25 (2 adults, 2 Children 10-16)

Match Programme: £2.00

Edited by Mr C

Apologies for not including the information in the press release. It is indeed the normal PL prices. I think you'll agree that represents tremendous value for money considering the we have the cheapest PL tickets in the country.

I reckon that represents great value for money..not only do you get to watch great speedway but also get to see one of the best firework displays the region has to offer...all for £11.

My first visit to Scunthorpe for an actual meeting and I liked what I saw. A decent race track (despite every where else being soaking wet) and a decent little set up there. If ever a model was needed for new clubs/stadiums then Scunthorpe is it.

My first visit to Scunthorpe for an actual meeting and I liked what I saw. A decent race track (despite every where else being soaking wet) and a decent little set up there. If ever a model was needed for new clubs/stadiums then Scunthorpe is it.

I don't think that anybody cannot fail to impressed with the set up at Scunny, and to think we nearly lost them to gypsies. Like I have said on another thread lets make Scunny a Speedway Centre of Excellence.

Guest Babe619

My first trip up for a meeting too and thoroughly enjoyed it. Fantastic track which produces plenty of great racing.

Stuart Robson was the star man for me yesterday. Looked forward to his heats more than anyone elses, even though he clearly wasn't the best rider on show. His blast where he came from defending second position, to almost passing Richard Hall, before finally running out of room was superb. He's got a fantastic style and certainly hasn't 'lost it' :approve: Get him to Brandon if Fisher says no :D

Well done to David Howe, who had looked very ordinary in the heats but produced a cracking ride in the final and never really came under any pressure at all.

Oh bugger it. Sorry, didn't know Babe was still logged on. Silver Bee.

Edited by Babe619

My first trip up for a meeting too and thoroughly enjoyed it. Fantastic track which produces plenty of great racing.

Stuart Robson was the star man for me yesterday. Looked forward to his heats more than anyone elses, even though he clearly wasn't the best rider on show. His blast where he came from defending second position, to almost passing Richard Hall, before finally running out of room was superb. He's got a fantastic style and certainly hasn't 'lost it' :approve: Get him to Brandon if Fisher says no :D

Well done to David Howe, who had looked very ordinary in the heats but produced a cracking ride in the final and never really came under any pressure at all.

Oh bugger it. Sorry, didn't know Babe was still logged on. Silver Bee.

It's great to hear everyone enjoyed the meeting and that you coped with the late withdrawals of Complin and Haines :-)