British Speedway Forum

Wild Cards For 09

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely no one (else) believes Kennett would contribute anything either!

No but he hankers for a return to the old days were half the field were just making numbers up.

Parsloes is a complete fool who has taken to ridiculous posts in his anti GP stance, unfortunately they only serve to make him look like the fool he is

Thats a bit like the GP then the 9th placed rider won 5 races in 11 GP's :rolleyes:

Quite agree in the old system 9th would have more wins, I agree with you that the standard is now much higher that race wins are hard to come by, thats because you have the best 16 riders in each GP without the deadwood

QUOTE (Robbie B @ Oct 19 2008, 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nicholls, Lindgren, Holder and Sajfutdinov, will be the four nominated GP riders.

But scrap the 'Wildcard' and add another rider instead. Wildcards have been a complete waste of time this year. It's better to have 16 riders competing for the World Championship.

Then you could add Chris Harris or Pavlic instead.

spot on

Quite agree in the old system 9th would have more wins, I agree with you that the standard is now much higher that race wins are hard to come by, thats because you have the best 16 riders in each GP without the deadwood

If you wish to compare the GP's to a World Final the 9th place rider on 77 points over 11 meetings would equate to an average of less than 7 per meeting (due to semi final rides) the same points that the 9th placed rider achieved in 1991,92,93,94. still in your opinion dead wood.

The old system only had the advantage you didn't have to waste 11 nights to see the same result. :rolleyes:

If you wish to compare the GP's to a World Final the 9th place rider on 77 points over 11 meetings would equate to an average of less than 7 per meeting (due to semi final rides) the same points that the 9th placed rider achieved in 1991,92,93,94. still in your opinion dead wood.

The old system only had the advantage you didn't have to waste 11 nights to see the same result. :rolleyes:

In the end it had the disadvantage that no one wanted to waste one night to see it,

Still 40,000 at Cardiff in the days of most tracks struggling to attract 1000, if the GP was going in speedways halcyon days Cardiff would have been sold out 10 times over

four nominees will be Nicholls,Lindgren,Saifutdinov & Holder + I reckon the wildcard should be scrapped for another new rider to spice things up a bit.

In the end it had the disadvantage that no one wanted to waste one night to see it,

Still 40,000 at Cardiff in the days of most tracks struggling to attract 1000, if the GP was going in speedways halcyon days Cardiff would have been sold out 10 times over

Your logic (sic) amazes me...: run this past me again..??!

The World Final (sold out Wembley for decades!!) would attract no supporters but an early 'qualifying-type' round would pack out Cardiff 10 times over..??

And you say I'm a "fool"..!!! :rolleyes:

Edited by Parsloes 1928 nearly

Your logic (sic) amazes me...: run this past me again..??!

The World Final (sold out Wembley for decades!!) would attract no supporters but an early 'qualifying-type' round would pack out Cardiff 10 times over..??

And you say I'm a "fool"..!!! :rolleyes:

World Finals at Wembley were only sell outs on 3 occassions, (perhaps you should go on the facts rather than the spin) the early post war finals and the golden jubilee final in 1978. Some Fifties finals attracted little over 50,000 and even the much talked about 92,000 in 1981 was actually 72,000. This in days when speedway was supposedly the second most popular spectator sport.

As for your last line, yes I certainly do think you are a fool

Edited by Jeff.

I´d go for foloowing riders:

Nicholls: He is number nine in the world and he is by far the best brit. Even if he have been nominated many times, he is still a very entertaining rider and with his attitude and ability he´s should have one.

Lindgren: Because he can just get better. To leave people outside the GP after just one season is stupid, especially with someone who is suppose to be one of the leading riders in the future. He will get one.

Emil: The GP is always a struggle for the youngest, but I am convinced that Emil has a mental capacity that is much stronger than for example riders like Hans, Scott, Iversen, Hampel. He is natural born winner.

Little brother Lindgren said after the U21-final that he prefer Holder to win ´cause he doesnt like the way Emil ride. If you dont move when Emil is coming behind you he will go through you. His attitude that he makes whatever it takes to win, and his ability to ride a motorbike are the reasons why I would give Emil a nomination. I am convinced he wont fail and he will end up within top-10. The only problem is if his organisation is able to handle to ride in the GP, the russian league and the Ekstraleague? But he seems to be surrounded by good people.

Harris: I would prefer Holder but I think BSI would like two brits in the GP.

Nicholls, Lindgren, Holder and Sajfutdinov are more than likely to get the nod. If Holder still believes he's not ready then I personally believe Hampel or Bjane should get the shout as they are world class and can mix it. But they won't...

I would like to see a system where after maybe round 2, the bottom 2 are dropped out & replaced by 'form' riders. There is too much dead weight in the GP's. Harris, Dryml, KK & a lesser extent Puk, added very little to this years series.

Also the Wildcards need to be picked better. I dont think that the Wildcard should have to come from the country where the GP is staged. Oki, for eg at Krsko, Zagar will help get a few more through the gate, but he will also add something to the meeting. But in Poland, do they really need anothe Pole rider in there just for attendance sake? I remember a few years back when Crump got the nod for the British GP. It didn't please a lot of people, but he brought more to the meeting then any of the Brit riders at the time would have done.

As for your last line, yes I certainly do think you are a fool

And I think you are a disgrace..

The BSF is meant to be about people sharing opinions and lively debate.

You obviously have a massive downer on the old World Final...: I do wonder if you ever went to any; most who did would not agree with your point of view..

But that's what it is: a point of view. Why you think it's acceptable to hurl personal abuse I do not know.

I expect the Mods to warn you - but won't be holding my breath..

BTW, if you had such a strong argument you wouldn't resort to being abusive...

And I think you are a disgrace..

The BSF is meant to be about people sharing opinions and lively debate.

You obviously have a massive downer on the old World Final...: I do wonder if you ever went to any; most who did would not agree with your point of view..

But that's what it is: a point of view. Why you think it's acceptable to hurl personal abuse I do not know.

I expect the Mods to warn you - but won't be holding my breath..

BTW, if you had such a strong argument you wouldn't resort to being abusive...

I saw over 10 world finals from the sixties to the nineties and as occassions enjoyed them all, but the GP is better, as you say in my opinion.

Bit rich, you calling me for personal insults, maybe have a read through your own posts, anyway it was you who suggested that I think you are a fool, I only confirmed that belief for you.

Nicholls, Lindgren, Sajfutdinov + any one of Holder, B Pedersen, Iversen or Harris (if a Brit needed/wanted by BSI-IMG)

Love him or hate him-Nicholls is the best Brit at the moment so it would be foolish to drop him this year. I agree with whoever said that if he doesn't reach top 8 this year though then he should step down next year.

The wildcards are a complete waste of time and don't generally bring anything to the GP's. I would like to see them scrapped altogether-I can't believe that having a "local" rider generates that much more interest in getting the punters in-I certainly don't think Lukas Dribble made a huge difference to the Czech punters going to the GP.

I would also like to see permanent track reserves given to young up and coming riders that are on the fringe of taking the step into the GP's. This would give them experience of the GP's and should help them prepare for when they become full time GP'ers. This year it could of been Holder, Tai or Sajfutdinov as track reserves. Obviously they would get rides and come in for injured riders and tapes offences and this will give them exposure without pressure. Obviously they would come in for Tapes offences although personally I would rather see the rider go back 15 metres than use reserves.

Edited by robolots

That's the way it used to be, but obviously that's more expensive than paying local riders to turn up.

Well of course expense was a big factor but you also got other issues.

Take 1976, that World Final had Anders Michanek as track reserve, world champ only two years earlier.

Now without adding to the debate about the continentals, if one of those couldn't take his place in a heat then he would be replaced by Mich. As such 12 riders scores reflected meeting a rider of a given standard, probably quite poor, and three others reflected meeting a far superior rider, hardly fair. Remember Mauger being loathe to take on the track reserve in Poland in 1970, he persuaded an unfit Trevor Hedge to take his place in the line up.