British Speedway Forum

Wild Cards For 09

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I missing something here but if this was issued on the 28th October why did the BSPA website issue this yesterday :unsure:

http://www.british-speedway.co.uk/news.php?extend.1988

Just read on sportowefakty.pl that 4 names were just FIM proposals. BSI's got the final word and they will announce the wild cards in two weeks time.

For me it should be. .

Scott Nicholls

Fredrik Lindgren

Chris Holder

Chris Harris. .

Although hope Chris Holder is given another year (the same with Emil Saifutdinov and Jurica Pavlic). . so either Niels K. Iversen or Matej Zagar. .

Although Iversen along with Jarek Hampel, Krzysztof Kasprzak, Bjarne Pedersen probably wont stand a chance becuase of their nationalities. .

Edited by Wildcat

Apologies.. I did, of course, mean the 'run-off' or whatever that 'last chance' meeting's called... :rolleyes:

Many predicted he would struggle to make any kind of impression in that but, as you say, he scored a creditable nine points..! :approve:

I can't understand why GP apologists don't seem to want to see exciting new blood in the competition. Personally if I was forking out cash to go across Europe to see these meetings (and yes, I can see the attraction of that - I'm even considering Latvia in August meself...: if only 'er indoors would let me..!! :rolleyes: ) I'd want to be seeing some different riders coming in, just for a change if nothing else..!! :blink:

Watching Greg Hancock become the first pensioner still riding in the World Championship in 2028 doesn't really appeal to me!!! :wink:

There have been 14 seasons of GPs with 7 different champions.

In the period 1950 to 1963 there were 6 different champions

In the period 1960 to 1973 there were 7 different champions

In the period 1970 to 1983 there were 8 different champions

Hancock has been contesting every season, 14 of them, you would like to see a change?

Mauger raced in every final from 1966?(1965) to 1979, 14 or more, did you want a change then

Briggs managed more, Fundin at least the same. Were you bored of their prescence.

The World Championship, in whatever format should be contested by the best 16, whoever they are. The GP system, by and large, ensures that

The sport has always gone in cycles, today is no different

There have been 14 seasons of GPs with 7 different champions.

In the period 1950 to 1963 there were 6 different champions

In the period 1960 to 1973 there were 7 different champions

In the period 1970 to 1983 there were 8 different champions

Hancock has been contesting every season, 14 of them, you would like to see a change?

Mauger raced in every final from 1966?(1965) to 1979, 14 or more, did you want a change then

Briggs managed more, Fundin at least the same. Were you bored of their prescence.

The World Championship, in whatever format should be contested by the best 16, whoever they are. The GP system, by and large, ensures that

The sport has always gone in cycles, today is no different

Thanks for this Jeff.

Fuuny enuff I was thinking of doing a similar comparison!! :shock:

What is does show - contrary to some who've posted on here, though TBF, not yourself... - is that the idea that that one-off World Final produced maverick results and a string of random, undeserved World Champs simply wasn't the case. :rolleyes:

Indeed between 1950 and 1994 (effectively the 'modern' era of the WF), there were 22 champs (out of a potential 45) and more significantly, those 22 finished in other rostrum (ie 2nd. or 3rd.) positions a remarkable 44 times; with another six unlucky riders finishing on the rostrum more than once withiout claiming top spot.

So as the figures show for both the indiv. WF AND the GPs our sport has been blessed with world championships where only the elite have really been able to excel.

And sure, Greg is vey much among them... :approve:

I do think though that a bit of a bigger turn-over of riders if one is to be 'stuck' with a fixed 16 each year would spice things up..!! :neutral:

Thought the following may be of interest to Jeff & Parsloes, the recent 'Newsletter' page of Ove Fundin's web site:

"Recently I read an interview with my old friend Gunter Sorber, (Gunter was for many years FIM's top speedway official and one of the men behind the G P's) now he would like to see some changes to the way speedways world championship is beeing decided and I agree with most what he said. To begin with, every rider should have at least a chance to take part, not just because someone is good for the organizers ("we must have riders from the country were the G P is being held."..)

Why not go back to the old formula with qualifying rounds and then a final were the rider with the most points is the winner ?(not like today when the winner of the final heat is the winner, not the rider having scored most points) all the G P's could be qualifying rounds for the title race. Olympic medals are won in a "one off race" after qualifying for it. G P's own 200.000 dollars race is arranged that way!

What can one say about the fiasco with the German G P..... and the way it was rearranged in Bydgoszcz on a track that had had a G P only two months earlier.....I guess unlucky Greg Hancock is one of the riders that has a few hard words to say. But of course Tomasz Gollob was happy!! "

All of Newsletter Here

Edited by Jim Blanchard

Even Zagar would have been a better pick than Harris. :blink: BSI are obviously more worried about ticket sales at Cardiff than who is deserving of a place.

Its more about TV contracts as BSI could have given Bomber the wild card for Cardiff anyway rather than taking the best guy from the British Final.

Seems totally bizarre to me to have named the competitors for SGP 2009 and not have confirmed all 11 SGP venues !!!

BSI ought to be planning for 2010 now so the calendar for 2009 should have long been confirmed.

Confirmed by the FIM:

Scott Nicholls

Fredrik Lindgren

Chris Harris

Emil Sajfutdinov

http://www.speedwayworld.tv/en/news/a9557?...e024ebb06e74a9b

How ridiculous. I thought it had been a mis-spelling of Holder until I followed the link. :angry: