British Speedway Forum

Wild Cards For 09

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Bazaar - I seem to have missed this. Where does it say he has turned them down. Cause based on that I assume if Hancock decides to retire or Holta does not return I guess he wont accept the aditional place.

Whereas the original list seems to indicate he is on standby.

Why put him on standby IF he has already sadi NO :unsure:

You are correct, Sandie. Chris Holder did say he wasn't sure if he had the money

or the right back-up team to do the GPs, but he said that if he was offered a seeded place,

then he would take it. (He would be silly to turn it down IF he is offered a place IMO,

because I'm sure he would increase his sponsorship to help him financially.)

We will have to wait and see.

Tai is nowhere near ready for the GP's and frankly would be embarrased if he were nominated.

Wot...: like he was in the World Cup Final... :shock::angry:

It's attitudes like this which as well as being plain wrong, hold bring the current World Championship into total disrepute...

Ronnie Moore rode in a World Final at 17 - without embarrassment!!! :rolleyes:

It's attitudes like this which as well as being plain wrong, hold bring the current World Championship into total disrepute...

Its a factual statement any one that has watched him on a regular occurrence knows he isn't ready for the GPs yet.

Woffinded him self admitted that he might struggle to compete with some of the Elite League riders

It isn't just ability he is well behind them in terms of equipment and backing

It just takes time, he will get there one day though

Really they should scrap the GP nominations, and bring back the GP Challenge Round (they have one for the World Longtrack GP Championship).

The bottom eight riders from the GP series, then race against the top eight from the GP Final qualifier, with the top eight riders into the GP series next season (no Wildcards).

All this nonsense that a certain number of riders from each country must in the GP's, makes a mockery of it. If your good enough to qualify, then you should be in the GP's, if your not, then you should try again next year.

Think you will find Tai didn't ride in the World Cup Final, GB failing to qualify from the run-off where he scored a creditable 9 points from 6 rides ( though I think you will find he didn't beat any current GP riders).

Maybe you are talking about the World Team Under 21 Final? Again GB failed to qualify though Tai did top score with 14 in the Semi.

Or maybe you are talking about the World Under 21 Final when Tai scored 3 points?

Clearly Tai is not ready for a full GP season yet. Vast majority of people including Tai himself would see that, but don't let that get in the way of having another pop at the GP's!

Its a factual statement any one that has watched him on a regular occurrence knows he isn't ready for the GPs yet.

Woffinded him self admitted that he might struggle to compete with some of the Elite League riders

It isn't just ability he is well behind them in terms of equipment and backing

It just takes time, he will get there one day though

Think you will find Tai didn't ride in the World Cup Final, GB failing to qualify from the run-off where he scored a creditable 9 points from 6 rides ( though I think you will find he didn't beat any current GP riders).

Maybe you are talking about the World Team Under 21 Final? Again GB failed to qualify though Tai did top score with 14 in the Semi.

Or maybe you are talking about the World Under 21 Final when Tai scored 3 points?

Clearly Tai is not ready for a full GP season yet. Vast majority of people including Tai himself would see that, but don't let that get in the way of having another pop at the GP's!

Thanks guys saved me the bother. I wish people would realise scoring a few points in the PL and looking good against no-one in particular during GB's failed WC bid. Doesn't mean someone is ready for the GP's.

QUOTE (Robbie B @ Oct 31 2008, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Really they should scrap the GP nominations, and bring back the GP Challenge Round (they have one for the World Longtrack GP Championship).

The bottom eight riders from the GP series, then race against the top eight from the GP Final qualifier, with the top eight riders into the GP series next season (no Wildcards).

All this nonsense that a certain number of riders from each country must in the GP's, makes a mockery of it. If your good enough to qualify, then you should be in the GP's, if your not, then you should try again next year.

You would need more than one qualifier to make it fair. This years GP Challenge would have had a totally different result if it had been raced on 3 different tracks in different countries. Bjerre would have qualified but the 2 Poles would not have.

Sorry Bazaar - I seem to have missed this. Where does it say he has turned them down. Cause based on that I assume if Hancock decides to retire or Holta does not return I guess he wont accept the aditional place.

Whereas the original list seems to indicate he is on standby.

Why put him on standby IF he has already sadi NO :unsure:

It has been well documented that Holder has said ' He does not wish to ride in the GP because he doesn't think he is ready' and do you really think Zagar would have been picked ahead of him.....come on. :neutral:

Apologies.. I did, of course, mean the 'run-off' or whatever that 'last chance' meeting's called... :rolleyes:

Many predicted he would struggle to make any kind of impression in that but, as you say, he scored a creditable nine points..! :approve:

I can't understand why GP apologists don't seem to want to see exciting new blood in the competition. Personally if I was forking out cash to go across Europe to see these meetings (and yes, I can see the attraction of that - I'm even considering Latvia in August meself...: if only 'er indoors would let me..!! :rolleyes: ) I'd want to be seeing some different riders coming in, just for a change if nothing else..!! :blink:

Watching Greg Hancock become the first pensioner still riding in the World Championship in 2028 doesn't really appeal to me!!! :wink:

Apologies.. I did, of course, mean the 'run-off' or whatever that 'last chance' meeting's called... :rolleyes:

Many predicted he would struggle to make any kind of impression in that but, as you say, he scored a creditable nine points..!

I can't understand why GP apologists don't seem to want to see exciting new blood in the competition. Personally if I was forking out cash to go across Europe to see these meetings (and yes, I can see the attraction of that - I'm even considering Latvia in August meself...: if only 'er indoors would let me..!! :rolleyes: ) I'd want to be seeing some different riders coming in, just for a change if nothing else..!!

Watching Greg Hancock become the first pensioner still riding in the World Championship in 2028 doesn't really appeal to me!!! :wink:

Greg would still beat Tai by at least half a lap! :wink::lol:

Not strictly true. He beat Rune Holta in heat 22 of that match.

He also beat Jarek Hampel earlier in the evening, and I would argue that Jarek is a far superior rider than some of the qualified riders for next year, but that is slightly irrelevant.

Don't get me wrong, I am certainly NOT advocating that Tai is ready for the SGP series.

I can't understand why GP apologists don't seem to want to see exciting new blood in the competition. Personally if I was forking out cash to go across Europe to see these meetings (and yes, I can see the attraction of that - I'm even considering Latvia in August meself...: if only 'er indoors would let me..!! :rolleyes: ) I'd want to be seeing some different riders coming in, just for a change if nothing else..!! :blink:

As someone who does regularly travel to GPs, I can honestly say that I would love to see some exciting new blood in the competition, but more importantly I want to see the very best racing in it. If the exciting young riders are better than the current crop, then yes they should be included.

However, I'm not convinced that there are many ready for that. Emil and Chris were the obvious candidates. It appears that Emil is in and Chris isn't. I'm excited that Emil will be racing and disappointed that Chris wont.

You pick on Greg but what are you saying, that he should be pushed out because he is getting old?

Ignoring the GP series, Greg finished 3rd in the averages in both Poland and Sweden. He is clearly still at the absolute top of the game and fully deserves his place in the series regardless of his age.

Anyway, back in the "brilliant" one off world final days, did Ivan Mauger not win the World Title when he was older than Greg currently is?

Not strictly true. He beat Rune Holta in heat 22 of that match.

He also beat Jarek Hampel earlier in the evening, and I would argue that Jarek is a far superior rider than some of the qualified riders for next year, but that is slightly irrelevant.

Don't get me wrong, I am certainly NOT advocating that Tai is ready for the SGP series.

As someone who does regularly travel to GPs, I can honestly say that I would love to see some exciting new blood in the competition, but more importantly I want to see the very best racing in it. If the exciting young riders are better than the current crop, then yes they should be included.

However, I'm not convinced that there are many ready for that. Emil and Chris were the obvious candidates. It appears that Emil is in and Chris isn't. I'm excited that Emil will be racing and disappointed that Chris wont.

You pick on Greg but what are you saying, that he should be pushed out because he is getting old?

Ignoring the GP series, Greg finished 3rd in the averages in both Poland and Sweden. He is clearly still at the absolute top of the game and fully deserves his place in the series regardless of his age.

Anyway, back in the "brilliant" one off world final days, did Ivan Mauger not win the World Title when he was older than Greg currently is?

Is that not the point though Henry. In the 'brilliant' one off final days, on the night anything could happen and there was an element of anticipation with who would actually win it taking into account unexpected defeats, falls and engine failures. With the current format (and I am not anti GP by any means) it tends to be more less the same 4/6 riders that are going into the final race time after time come what may, which has created a sort of ‘sameness’ about the GP’s irrespective who actually takes part. I enjoy them very much, but with the 'semi's and finals' it kind of rules out throwing up some surprising, and more importantly 'different' or unexpected results. Unless, those 6 riders retire or move on.

Edited by Jim Blanchard

Yes - just. Mauger won his final World title aged 39; the same age as Greg would have to be now if he is to win it again (ie cant now be any sooner than next year).

Does anyone, though, seriously believe Greg will win it again..? :rolleyes:

Personally I'd be delighted if he could - he deserves without question to be a more-than-once world champion; but the sense of inevitability about the GPs suggests he'll remain top four without a sniff at first place..

Which says it all really... :blink:

With the current format (and I am not anti GP by any means) it tends to be more less the same 4/6 riders that are going into the final race time after time come what may...

And that shows us that they indeed are the best at the moment.