British Speedway Forum

Wild Cards For 09

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So who would we give the wild cards for 09 to then? These are who I think they will be given to:

1 - Scott Nicholls - He's the number 1 brit, therefore will probably get one. If he'd ride all year with the same grit as tonight he'd be in the top 8.

2 - Freddie Lindgren - He'll be the only swede as Andreas Jonsson has turned Polish.

3 - Emil Sajfutdinov - World U21 champion for the second year running.

4 - Chris Holder - He's made a huge impact on the Elite League this season.

5 - ?????

Being patriotic and a Coventry fan I'd give the last one to Chris Harris.

YOU DONE GOOD BOTH CHRIS HARRIS AND SCOTTIE GOT ONE CAN'T REMEMBER THE OTHER 2 THAT GOT UM

I think it's shocking that Jarek Hampel is not in the GP next year. One of the arguments from the pro-GP lobby is that it contains all the best riders in the world, whereas under the old system, a few big names would be eliminated before the big day itself. However, Hampel is in my mind amonsgt the best 8 riders in the world (along with the riders who finished 1st to 7th this year). So next season the GP series is missing a key rider.

Who is the better rider - Jarek Hampel or Chris Harris? If a poll was conducted, I'd wouldn't be surprised if 95% plus said Hampel.

All the best

Rob

I always did so you spoke perfect sense, Roberto!!! :approve:

I notice that all the usual apologists for the GPs are rather quiet today..!! :rolleyes:

Surely today marks the official end of the once-proud World Speedway Championship...: after a lingering sickness which came on suddenly in 1995!!!!! :cry:

I notice that all the usual apologists for the GPs are rather quiet today..!! :rolleyes:

Surely today marks the official end of the once-proud World Speedway Championship...: after a lingering sickness which came on suddenly in 1995!!!!! :cry:

Not sure if I count as a GP apologist or not....I have certainly defended the GP series in the past, so I may well be on your list.

I have posted elsewhere today that I think that the inclusion of Harris is a disgrace, just like I thought that including Kasprzak last year was a disgrace.

However, despite Kasper's inclusion, the nominated riders averaged 72 points in the series this season while the qualifiers averaged 58....I'm pretty confident that similar results will be seen between the qualifiers and nominations again next year.

In my view, there are two problems with the SGP at the moment. One is that there are not enough places. The other is that the qualification system is a joke.

A move back to a 24 man field would be great....Ideally I'd like to see a qualifying match for the bottom 8 from the previous GP and 8 "outsiders" on the Friday....with GP points being allocated to the non qualifiers that competed on the Friday. The 8 outsiders could be nominated riders to ensure that the series was kept up to date with the "in form" riders at the time.

A move away from having qualifiers would also be great. Let the cream be picked from World speedway rather than having one off matches to provide the field for an entire season of competition.

If it was down to the GP Challenge, the top 8 would now be joined by Bjerre, Ulamek, Walsek, Iversen, Jedrzejak, Sullivan and Monberg.

Much as I detest the selection of Harris....I am way happier with that than seeing the bulk of those guys in the SGP series (not saying I wouldn't like to see some of them in there)....Assuming that we are stuck with a 16 rider field just now, if all 7 were nominated we would almost certainly be seeing Hampel, Holder and PUK next year....Now we have to wait to see them in the series :cry:

You are so dramatic, you have applied that statement to almost every update of the SGP website. I actually don't think Harris worthy of another wildcard but there are still a maximum of two possibly better options. What needs getting rid of is the ridiculous qualification process, that is what clutters up the GP with no hopers, the same as it did with the old World Championship.

By the way the lingering sickness came on in 1983 and lingered on for 12 more years before the World Championship regained it's once proud status

The reason there are 2 Brits in the GP are for TV Reasons only..

Chris Harris does deffinately does not deserve to be there and is nothing better than an average Elite league rider.

It is a joke that Brits keep getting put back in the GP's when performing badly in previous years e.g Richardson,Harris..When the likes of Hans Andersen is taken out (few years ago) and was been riding hell of a lot better than harris! There are probably at least 10 better riders in the World than Harris.

Kennett & Woffinden - for crying out loud open your eyes..GP Material? I don't think so..what planet are you on!

Nicholls on the other hand I think does deserve this opportunity.

Some of you really need to open your eyes.

Pea.

No surprise that Scott has been selected but Bomber is there at the behest of Sky even though his performance this time was not good enough to deserve a place. However he may not have been one of their first choices. Maybe Chris Holder was offered a place but declined. Has has already admitted earlier this season that he is not ready yet, and as far as Bjarne is concerned I believe he has said that he wouldn't want to come back next year unless he qualified.

I couldnt care less if theyd have put dean felton, david mason barrie evans, the gps imo are crap now anyway, lost interest in them from about june

:D

There are too many GP's now, thats the trouble.

They need to cut it to around six to freshen the whole thing up. One each month from May-October would be plenty. Although I watch most of them and usually enjoy the racing, I just don't get that feeling of anticipation anymore when GP Saturday comes round.

And the majority of the field should be there through qualification. Seed the top three through to the next year and leave one or maybe two wild card picks, but make the rest qualify.

Edited by Bagpuss

Surprised with the Bomber inclusion, but the comittee are obviously looking at the British Grand Prix, the only two Grand Prix's that Bomber has shown any really form.

To be honest I don't know why everybody is getting so excited about, it will be the same next season Crump and Pedersen chasing the winners medal, with the rest chasing third. Jason Crump and Nicki Pedersen are head and shoulders above the rest.

Surprised with the Bomber inclusion, but the comittee are obviously looking at the British Grand Prix, the only two Grand Prix's that Bomber has shown any really form.

To be honest I don't know why everybody is getting so excited about, it will be the same next season Crump and Pedersen chasing the winners medal, with the rest chasing third. Jason Crump and Nicki Pedersen are head and shoulders above the rest.

Disagree. NP is head and shoulders above the rest, with Crump a farly distant second.

Riders like Holder could have come in and rustled a few feathers.

Todays Echo.

Holder misses out on GP place

12:31pm Friday 7th November 2008

By Phil Chard »

PIRATES star Chris Holder has missed out on a Grand Prix wild card for next season.

The permanent seeded places have gone to British duo Scott Nicholls and Chris Harris, alongside the Russian Emil Sajfutdinov and Fredrik Lindgren, of Sweden.

There were no surprises with the selections, confirmed by the FIM Speedway Grand Prix Commission and BSI Speedway today.

Particularly as Poole Castle Cover’s Holder had discounted himself because he feels he is not financially ready to compete in the World Championship series next year, preferring to wait at least another 12 months.

Talking about the four picks, BSI managing director Paul Bellamy said: “The riders chosen as the permanent wild cards reflect the experience and emerging talent of speedway riders in the world.

“Russia’s Emil Sajfutdinov is one of the sport’s hottest prospects at the moment and will be an exciting addition to the series.

“At 19 years old he will be the youngest permanent rider in the 2009 series and already has an unprecedented two World Under-21 titles under his belt that underlines his flair and aptitude for the sport.

“Sweden’s Fredrick Lindgren, who at 23 was the youngest rider in this year’s series, has shown great maturity and ability in his first season as a GP rider and is also widely recognised across Europe as one of the sport’s rising stars.

“This year Scott made two finals and only just finished outside the top eight and an automatic qualification for the 2009 series, but his performances have shown he still has the commitment and drive to be world champion.

“Chris, a GP winner in 2007, knows he needs to prove he is world class next year following a disappointing 2008 campaign but we all know that he has the ability to be a great rider.”

GP race director Ole Olsen said: “The line-up for the 2009 GP series is a very exciting one.

“The combination of the experienced campaigners versus the young pretenders will provide some thrilling racing as all 15 riders believe they are capable of winning GPs and ultimately the World Championship.

“I believe next year’s series will be one of the most competitive seasons to date and we are looking forward to welcoming them all in 2009.”

The full 2009 GP line up is N Pedersen, J Crump, T Gollob, G Hancock, H Andersen, L Adams, A Jonsson, R Holta, S Nicholls, F Lindgren, C Harris, K Bjerre, G Walasek, S Ulamek, E Sajfutdinov, event wild card in each round.

Qualified substitutes: NK Iversen, T Jedrzjak, R Sullivna, JB Monberg, A Miedzinksi, J Pavlic.

NEIL Middleditch believes it’s no “bad thing” Chris Holder has missed out on a permanent wild card into next year’s Grand Prix.

The GP promoters have announced Scott Nicholls, Chris Harris, Emil Sajfutdinov and Fredrik Lindgren as permanent wild cards for the 2009 World Championship.

So Holder missed out, most notably, as expected, to two-times World Under-21 champion Sajfutdinov, who relegated the Aussie into second place both times.

Middleditch said: “I think Chris would have accepted it if they had offered him a place, but it’s not a bad thing he hasn’t got one.

“He’s still young and can learn a lot more in the Elite League. It gives him a season to consolidate his position next year.

“His schedule is pretty hectic anyway because he rides Sweden and Poland as well as England.

“It might just have been a lot to take on this early in his career.”

Asked what 21-year-old Holder would need to do to ensure he was ready for the GP in 2010, Middleditch said: “To qualify and if not he just has to consolidate his position, continue his form from 2008 to get a permanent wild card.

“They (BSI Speedway) are trying to get pairs of riders in (from different countries) and they already have Leigh (Adams) and Jason (Crump) in there from Australia.

“Having said that, I think Chris would be a great addition. He’s young, exciting and would have brought a lot to it.

“But I don’t think it’s a bad thing. It might be a bit too soon for him.

“I think he’ll most certainly be ready for 2010. If he continues riding like he has, I don’t think there is any way they could not choose him.

“He has taken the Elite League by storm. No-one could have envisaged, average-wise, he would have done as well as he did for Poole.”

Stuck up for the gp's in the past but the picking of harris is a joke i am big harris fans as he very good rider to watch in the el but can find no reason why he could be pick on merit for the gp's 2009 .

The gp's have turn into a firm trying to make money at the end of the day above all else it is a world championship event what should have the best 16 riders in it or those who have earned earn the right to be in it but that has has now been lost in the greed of the money .

Disagree. NP is head and shoulders above the rest, with Crump a farly distant second.

Riders like Holder could have come in and rustled a few feathers.

Todays Echo.

Holder misses out on GP place

12:31pm Friday 7th November 2008

By Phil Chard »

PIRATES star Chris Holder has missed out on a Grand Prix wild card for next season.

The permanent seeded places have gone to British duo Scott Nicholls and Chris Harris, alongside the Russian Emil Sajfutdinov and Fredrik Lindgren, of Sweden.

There were no surprises with the selections, confirmed by the FIM Speedway Grand Prix Commission and BSI Speedway today.

Particularly as Poole Castle Cover’s Holder had discounted himself because he feels he is not financially ready to compete in the World Championship series next year, preferring to wait at least another 12 months.

Talking about the four picks, BSI managing director Paul Bellamy said: “The riders chosen as the permanent wild cards reflect the experience and emerging talent of speedway riders in the world.

“Russia’s Emil Sajfutdinov is one of the sport’s hottest prospects at the moment and will be an exciting addition to the series.

“At 19 years old he will be the youngest permanent rider in the 2009 series and already has an unprecedented two World Under-21 titles under his belt that underlines his flair and aptitude for the sport.

“Sweden’s Fredrick Lindgren, who at 23 was the youngest rider in this year’s series, has shown great maturity and ability in his first season as a GP rider and is also widely recognised across Europe as one of the sport’s rising stars.

“This year Scott made two finals and only just finished outside the top eight and an automatic qualification for the 2009 series, but his performances have shown he still has the commitment and drive to be world champion.

“Chris, a GP winner in 2007, knows he needs to prove he is world class next year following a disappointing 2008 campaign but we all know that he has the ability to be a great rider.”

GP race director Ole Olsen said: “The line-up for the 2009 GP series is a very exciting one.

“The combination of the experienced campaigners versus the young pretenders will provide some thrilling racing as all 15 riders believe they are capable of winning GPs and ultimately the World Championship.

“I believe next year’s series will be one of the most competitive seasons to date and we are looking forward to welcoming them all in 2009.”

The full 2009 GP line up is N Pedersen, J Crump, T Gollob, G Hancock, H Andersen, L Adams, A Jonsson, R Holta, S Nicholls, F Lindgren, C Harris, K Bjerre, G Walasek, S Ulamek, E Sajfutdinov, event wild card in each round.

Qualified substitutes: NK Iversen, T Jedrzjak, R Sullivna, JB Monberg, A Miedzinksi, J Pavlic.

NEIL Middleditch believes it’s no “bad thing” Chris Holder has missed out on a permanent wild card into next year’s Grand Prix.

The GP promoters have announced Scott Nicholls, Chris Harris, Emil Sajfutdinov and Fredrik Lindgren as permanent wild cards for the 2009 World Championship.

So Holder missed out, most notably, as expected, to two-times World Under-21 champion Sajfutdinov, who relegated the Aussie into second place both times.

Middleditch said: “I think Chris would have accepted it if they had offered him a place, but it’s not a bad thing he hasn’t got one.

“He’s still young and can learn a lot more in the Elite League. It gives him a season to consolidate his position next year.

“His schedule is pretty hectic anyway because he rides Sweden and Poland as well as England.

“It might just have been a lot to take on this early in his career.”

Asked what 21-year-old Holder would need to do to ensure he was ready for the GP in 2010, Middleditch said: “To qualify and if not he just has to consolidate his position, continue his form from 2008 to get a permanent wild card.

“They (BSI Speedway) are trying to get pairs of riders in (from different countries) and they already have Leigh (Adams) and Jason (Crump) in there from Australia.

“Having said that, I think Chris would be a great addition. He’s young, exciting and would have brought a lot to it.

“But I don’t think it’s a bad thing. It might be a bit too soon for him.

“I think he’ll most certainly be ready for 2010. If he continues riding like he has, I don’t think there is any way they could not choose him.

“He has taken the Elite League by storm. No-one could have envisaged, average-wise, he would have done as well as he did for Poole.”

I think that Jason Crump changing his riding schedule will see him fresh up a bit, and I can see him back to his best. I have to say that young Holder seems to have head firmly stuck on his shoulders, I also think that he would be a great addition to the Grand Prix, but if the lad does not feel ready to take on the challenge then a good move to wait another year.

chris harris will never be good in the gp's as the tracks are so slick and his gateing is very poor

If they put some dirt on the tracks he could do better but as long as olsen is doing the tracks this will never going to happen.

I think it's time for olsen to go and let someone else have a go

chris harris will never be good in the gp's as the tracks are so slick and his gateing is very poor

If they put some dirt on the tracks he could do better but as long as olsen is doing the tracks this will never going to happen.

I think it's time for olsen to go and let someone else have a go

I disagree. I know, as well as everyone else, that Chris Harris is one of the best passers in the Elite League. Stick the back wheel in the dirt, and off he goes. BUT, that's in the Elite League. The GPs are a different kettle of fish. Do you really think that Harris would be able to pass Crump, Pedersen, Gollob, Hancock, Jonsson? I could go on. It would be very few riders who would let Harris do that - the rest, as mentioned above, are miles ahead of Harris is ability and Bomber wouldn't be able to pass them just because there is a bit of dirt on the track.

Edited by M08

Can see what you are saying M08 but Bomber's two best performances in the GP's came at Wroclaw and Cardiff in 2007 - both tracks had a decent amount of dirt and a few lumps and bumps. He was overtaking the very best in those meetings.

Even this year at Cardiff he was competitive. It was mega slick ones like Byd, Lonigo and Eskilstuna where he really struggled.

Would be nice if both parties could do their bit, ie Olsen put a bit more shale down and Bomber improve on his gating ;)

Edited by Bagpuss

Can't see what all the fuss is about regarding slick tracks, surely if all the GP tracks are slick then it will suit all the riders, yes i would prefer dirt on them but most EL tracks are slick unless it seems only those that are shown on Sky. As with every meeting Tatum, Pearson, Louis go on about how slick the track is tonight and in between races when the riders are interviewed they say tracks slick and/or slicker than normal.

With regards exciting new riders that the SGP promotion team are going on about ONLY Emil is the shining STAR, why oh why have they gone with the other 3, what was wrong with Holder, Woffinden, Pavlic IMO

With regards exciting new riders that the SGP promotion team are going on about ONLY Emil is the shining STAR, why oh why have they gone with the other 3, what was wrong with Holder, Woffinden, Pavlic IMO

uhm well too young and too inexperienced. Especially Tai and Pavlic are no way near GP material ...yet

It seems that people dont understand that riding in the GPs are quit allot different then riding in the leagues. Even for some one like Holder.

Sure he has done good in all the leagues this year but so did KK and Lindgren last season and the same with Jagus last season he was one of the top scorers in Sweden and Poland in 2006 but he still failed to reach top 8 in the final standings.

Harris, Nicholls and some of the foreigners have failed to light any fires, new blood is needed, some said Tai was too young for the WTC, well he showed what some of us knew about him and how lack luster the others were, too young, not enough experience well only time will tell, those that have the experience and have been allowed in have seriously under achieved imo