British Speedway Forum

Jack Scott

dantodan

I don't recollect another rider, BUT at the same time, 1960, Canadian Jack Scott sang "What in the World's Come Over You" ino the UK hit parade.

yes there were two jack scotts ironically both rode for southampton one the early 50s and his nickname was bluey and the other jack rode in the late 50s before moving to plymouth

yes there were two jack scotts ironically both rode for southampton one the early 50s and his nickname was bluey and the other jack rode in the late 50s before moving to plymouth

We may be geting to the bottom of this.

Red-haired Bluey Scott came to Motherwell c1950 and rode for them from '51 to their closure in '54 when he was signed by S'ton and then loaned to Ipswich for '55. (He didn't return to the UK til '63, for Long Eaton.)

All records for these tracks list him as B. Scott, so was his christiain name Jack ? - and is this "the same era"" that Bobbath recalls when he asked the question ? ( There's no overlap with S'ton/Plymouth's JS.)

Only in Wilkipaedia, - yes, i know, - , do we get an insight, where, under Motherwell Eagles, it lists its riders as including "Bluey (Eric) Scott. ! -?

So, - can anyone out there attest to Bluey Scott's birth name ?2065855900103948496OOEzOy_th.jpg2114021630103948496vlMMYt_th.jpg

Edited by britmet

I reckon this is a true mystery-I do not think that Bluey Scott was the other "Jack" Scott-Bluey was an Eric-I recall him very well in the PL with Middlesbrough-in fact I recall him being (I think) in the 1964 PL final when he scored I think 2 pts. as the Middlesbrough rep. I reckon there were two other Jack Scott's -lets call'em Jack 1 and Jack 2-we have been discussing let's say Jack 1 -but there is another guy who we haven't yet talked about-it ain't Bluey-trust me on this!!

I think you're right, Bobbath, Bluey's not Jack, - But I still think the only other Jack Scott around at that time, - when my only reading back then was the SSN, from cover to cover, AND the NME (before it became an anarchist rag,) - , "Put that comic away" said my maths master. Its not sir, its registered as a newspaper. I even read that bit ! - was the singer of "What in the Worlds Come over You." in 1960 ! That's where your memory of a second Jack Scot came from, I suggest.

p.s. There was a Jock Scott, circa 1950, up there in Haggisland, but I think we can forget him.

OK folks, I am getting more and more interested in this-so I consulted that trusty and comprehensive book "British Speedway Leagues 1946-64" by Peter Morrish published in 1984. If memory serves Peter used to write in the Speedway Star about the Midland tracks-and no before anyone asks he was NOT Eric Linden. According to this book there was a Jack Scott 1st, a Bluey Scott and a Jack Scott 2nd. The latter two are the ones who have been (endlessly) discussed and their careers as outlined by britmet(for Bluey) and oddfossengen (Jack 2nd) accord with Peter's book. HOWEVER-there is a Jack Scott 1st listed for Hastings in 1948-he scored just 7 pts. that year. Bluey is shown as B.Scott throughout and is also shown as B.Scott in the Stenners Annuals of that period.Therefore my conclusion is that there WERE two Jack Scott's as discussed but Bluey was a third Scott( I don't reckon he is the Hastings rider because he is always listed as B.Scott from the getgo). I still reckon his name was Eric. Does anybody know Reg Fearman because I reckon as Bluey's old promoter at Middlesbrough and with his excellent memory and records he should know.In fact does Reg read the forum?? I will buy a beer on my next trip to UK for anyone who can solve this conclusively. P.S. to Norbold and starghost can you add anything to this???

OK folks, I am getting more and more interested in this-so I consulted that trusty and comprehensive book "British Speedway Leagues 1946-64" by Peter Morrish published in 1984. If memory serves Peter used to write in the Speedway Star about the Midland tracks-and no before anyone asks he was NOT Eric Linden. According to this book there was a Jack Scott 1st, a Bluey Scott and a Jack Scott 2nd. The latter two are the ones who have been (endlessly) discussed and their careers as outlined by britmet(for Bluey) and oddfossengen (Jack 2nd) accord with Peter's book. HOWEVER-there is a Jack Scott 1st listed for Hastings in 1948-he scored just 7 pts. that year. Bluey is shown as B.Scott throughout and is also shown as B.Scott in the Stenners Annuals of that period.Therefore my conclusion is that there WERE two Jack Scott's as discussed but Bluey was a third Scott( I don't reckon he is the Hastings rider because he is always listed as B.Scott from the getgo). I still reckon his name was Eric. Does anybody know Reg Fearman because I reckon as Bluey's old promoter at Middlesbrough and with his excellent memory and records he should know.In fact does Reg read the forum?? I will buy a beer on my next trip to UK for anyone who can solve this conclusively. P.S. to Norbold and starghost can you add anything to this???
sorry being a pirates supportter we dont even mention FEARMANS name down here he nearly cost us the club end off

Re Bluey, speedway historian in Adelaide has provided the following info on him, which should put that option to bed:-

Bluey Scott is Eric William Scott and he was born in Auburn NSW on 10 July 1929. He lived all his life in Sydney until the late 1940s when he decided to travel around Australia and when he got to Adelaide he stayed here for a while. He went and watched Speedway at Kilburn, and then found out that he was working alongside one of the riders, Frank Young. From there he went on to be a rider and went to Scotland in 1951 where Jack Young arranged for him to sign for Motherwell. He subsequently rode for Motherwell in 1951, 52, 53 & 54, then half-a-season each with Southampton and Ipswich in 1955, then Long Eaton 63, Middlesbrough 64 and White City Glasgow 65, 66. He retired from Speedway in Australia in 1969.

Bobbath, - This issue started with the thought that there may have been 2 JSs "around the same era." Whatever Bluey's true name had turned out to be, the fact that you had a notion of another JACK would not have come about from results or reports on this chap, as he was never referred to as anything but Bluey. You're now taking us back to 1948 ! As there's no overlap in time with any of these 3 Scotts, I suggest we discount it and deem the subject closed.

Does anybody know Reg Fearman because I reckon as Bluey's old promoter at Middlesbrough and with his excellent memory and records he should know.In fact does Reg read the forum?? I will buy a beer on my next trip to UK for anyone who can solve this conclusively. P.S. to Norbold and starghost can you add anything to this???

I got this info from Reg whom I interrupted whilst he was on holiday

Bluey Scott is Eric Scott, originates from Sydney, lived for some time in Adelaide now lives on the Gold Coast at Burleigh Waters, is 77 years of age, raced for Glasgow and Motherwell in the 50´s and raced for me in the 60´s at Middlesbrough and Long Eaton.

Reg has his own page on www.defunctspeedway.co.uk

• 1 month later...

Gosh this thread has been a bit confusing for an elderly mind to follow. :lol: Glad everything was sorted out in the end and that Jack Scott is getting on okay, also that Bluey is alive and well back home in Australia.

I don't know if anyone is interested but I took this photo of Bluey (Eric) in 1965 but don't know whether it was at Edinburgh or Glasgow - probably Glasgow I think.

Take note of the luxury style of travelling back then, complete with bike strapped on to the back of a car. :P

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2752081620047007148VBPATs