British Speedway Forum

On the Nicholls/Harris comments about there GP performances and qualification for next years Grand Prix series.

When i look through the list below of the riders in the GP's i can honestly see why they both dont reach many semi's or finals. As much as i would like to think they are up in that top 8 class of rider they are a level below this. If Scott and Bomber don't make much (if any) money from the gp`s then spending the amounts that the top 3/4 at least would take away money they are not earning.

Bombers problem is the start, never in a million years are you going to get far in the GP's being 4th in the first bend race after race. Scott isnt far behind in this and his engines never look fast enough as he looks like being overtaken rather than pull out a lead.

Scotty and Bomber are the best british riders we have at present, they are out there doing there best, the world cup showed where we are in the speedway world at present. The same people who mess with the rules every season and baffle most fans across the country must put some plan together to help the younger riders come through like with Eric in Denmark.

Never again will a rider win the GP series and not win a single round like Mark Loram did, the competition is at another level these days.Maybe when Greg and Leigh have called it a day it will leave Nicki and Jason to fight it out but there will always be a rider that will move up to join them.

Nicki PEDERSEN

Leigh ADAMS

Jason CRUMP

Tomasz GOLLOB

Hans ANDERSEN

Greg HANCOCK

Rune HOLTA

Andreas JONSSON

Bjarne PEDERSEN

Scott NICHOLLS

Chris HARRIS

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

England should only have one rider in it next year and thats Tai Woffinden

Too early for Tai. He should have a crack at the qualifiers next season then see how he goes.

If neither Harris or Nicholls make it they cant be given a Wild card on purely speedway terms at this stage.

Bomber received a wild card last season - following a decent first season and a SGP win.

Nicholls had a Wild Card the year before following an injury prevented him riding in a SGP or otherwise he would of qualified.

Looking at riders that have chances of Wild Cards , I would of thought Bjerre must be up there following his SGP and SWC exploits. Should Lindgren miss out I guess he would be given a spot as AJ would then be the only Swede. That not give Nicholls or Harris a great chance.

Chris Holder must be in wth a shout of a pick for next season.

.......Scott isnt far behind in this and his engines never look fast enough as he looks like being overtaken rather than pull out a lead........

At the beginning of the season Mark Loram, writing in his column for the Ipswich Evening Star, made this observation about Scott. Unfortunately, I've tried to find the article and can't.

It was along the lines that Scott would never make it in the GPs as he is heavier (in weight), that the other riders. Mark didn't say he was over-weight or anything, just that he was 'chunkier' than most other riders in the GPs. He said that a speedway bike weighs 60Kg or 68Kg (I cannot remember which), and that a rider closer in weight to his bike will have the advantage over his competitors. A speedway bike carrying less weight will always pull away quicker from the gate. If you don't get away from the gate at a GP you will nearly always struggle to make up for lost ground. He said that Scott could get away with this disadvantage in domestic racing but against the best riders in the world, he would always struggle.

That was roughly what Mark said and I thought at the time it was interesting. Now, when I watch Scott in the GPs, I think Mark could be right.

At the beginning of the season Mark Loram, writing in his column for the Ipswich Evening Star, made this observation about Scott. Unfortunately, I've tried to find the article and can't.

It was along the lines that Scott would never make it in the GPs as he is heavier (in weight), that the other riders. Mark didn't say he was over-weight or anything, just that he was 'chunkier' than most other riders in the GPs. He said that a speedway bike weighs 60Kg or 68Kg (I cannot remember which), and that a rider closer in weight to his bike will have the advantage over his competitors. A speedway bike carrying less weight will always pull away quicker from the gate. If you don't get away from the gate at a GP you will nearly always struggle to make up for lost ground. He said that Scott could get away with this disadvantage in domestic racing but against the best riders in the world, he would always struggle.

That was roughly what Mark said and I thought at the time it was interesting. Now, when I watch Scott in the GPs, I think Mark could be right.

Why can't chris harris gate then ?

Too early for Tai. He should have a crack at the qualifiers next season then see how he goes.

Agreed. Or at least make sure he makes the step up to the EL, as good as he is and the world cup was great for him, you can't give a rider a wildcard nomination when all he's had is PL experience.

Chris Holder must be in wth a shout of a pick for next season.

I'd have thought so, easily deserves a chance.

Why can't chris harris gate then ?

He has the reactions of a snooker table.

:lol:

I think the problem is the top riders all seem to up there game at a gp and scott cannot do this. He appears to beaten mentally before he even has his first ride. He has yet to find the right person to guide him. And to bring tatum in is as much good as having a brains faggot sat in your corner , then again at least the faggot is better looking :P

:blink::blink::blink:

An ex-rider who has won 3 world longtrack titles ! What on earth does he know about winning things hey.

Yes longtrack, and the standard of rider is much lower. speedway is a differant sport and times have changed since he rode. yes he was a good rider but that does not mean it will make scott a better rider. :blink::blink:

You jest, surely? I find him a cheesy parody of himself. Someone really ought to tell him that Ricky Bobby was a pishtake! :rolleyes: As for that can of drink he keeps plugging, with logo always facing outwards, he nearly choked on it trying to get his plug in and the question in the interview was shorter than he expected. Comedy highlight of the evening. :lol:

I can assure all of you that GH knows the deal with Ricky Bobby. As for the drinks can, well you can add Harris and Gollob to the guilty list as well as Hampel with his Red Bull helmet design. At the end of the day they are only doing a job for their sponsors. It doesnt matter if you find it comical or not as its all about getting air time for the brand on TV. A few waves of the can during an interview costs thousands of pounds less than 30-second commercial but the exposure can have just as much influence on sales (although I would think many posters on here are unlikey to go rushing out to buy a can or two just because a speedway rider waves a can around!)

Throughly enjoyed my first trip to Prague although a bit more passing would have been nice. What I still dont understand is why the Brits didnt get behind Scotty and Bomber as vocally as the Poles did for their guys. There was plenty of us there but most were motionless...

Guest Sir Lunchalot

It's a bit late replying I know but I enjoyed the GP. My second one ever (after Sydney 2002) and I loved the city, the location, the atmosphere and the general buzz. We don't get anything quite like it in Australia and I'd do it again tomorrow despite the comments made about the track and the racing. Agree that Nicki Pedersen deserved it, he only dropped one point in the 5 heats and deserved to win. Interesting gate choices in the finals, no gate was clearly better than any other one and it must have been a bit of a raffle who chose which gate.

Saw some of the nightlife and took a cruise on the river and thought Prague was lovely. Unfortunately didn't catch up with any forummers, but both Ron and I were draped with Australian flags and given the description BFD gave we shouldn't have been too hard to catch. Maybe we scared people off.

Lets be honest, the only way you are going to get a closer racing series is to sack Nicki P and Jason C for being to damn good, they are a cut above the rest of the riders, maybe they should start 15m back all the time to give the others a chance :wink:

There seems to be about 4-5 standards of riders in the GP's with JC and NP far superior to the next group TG, LA, GH and then you have the next group of HA, NKI, AJ, BP followed by FL, RH, SN, CH with LD and KK at the bottom. I'm sure not everyone would agree with my groupings, but they must be there or there abouts. The biggest problem is who do you put in to replace the likes of KK, LD, CH etc are Jagus, Walasek and Sullivan any better???

I think the top 7 this year will stay as is in terms of personel with only injuries affecting if they will qualify automatically and then it will be any of the next 6 for the 8th place. And if they don't qualify through injury then they will probably get a wildcard anyway. Bjarne having missed a couple of GP's through injury looks the best bet to finish 8th which of course would leave the brits sweating for one of the wild card places. As tv money is a big part of it I reckon both would get the nod over anyone else and lets face it-who is really ready to come in and challenge Nicholls or Harris at this moment in time?? Tai, maybe in a few years but not now IMHO.

In the last 3 GP's riders 8th-13th place

Holta=22 points

Lindgren=9 points

Nicholls= 25 points

Iversen= 19 points

Harris= 20 points

Pedersen=28 points

Pedersen looks most consistent looking at his scores, but as Lindgren proved, you only need one big score and it puts you right in the mix.

Who ever you put in the series, top 8 aside I don't think will make a major impact until the likes of the Adams, Crump, Gollob, Hancock and Pedersen retire. Personally, I hate the wild cards as they don't really bring anything to the party overall. I also hate it when riders are excluded for tapes offences and the reserves come in, surely it would be better for the rider to go back 15 metres than bring in a meaningless reserve ride.

I personally go to at least 3 GP's a year, but it saddens me it is more for the experience of cities such as Prague rather than the quality of the racing which was as painfull as it could be on Saturday. The tracks definately need a tad more moisture in them which will in turn produce more overtaking lines.

Great weekend, great city, great food, great drink, great company. Poor GP.

That said, we had a GP virgin (with 3 EL meetings) with us and he loved it. He supported the Brits, decided to support Lukas Dryml as most of our group don't like him and gave Freddie Lindgren and Greg Hancock some stick as we had a Freddie and Greg fan with us. He also got quite into the abusing of Nicki Pedersen along with all the Poles (his weekend just got better on learning that Lukas Dryml now has a British club). Just proves, even a crap meeting can be enjoyed if you want to enjoy it.

Just watched the GP on the Sky+ and echo the same comments regarding Nicki P.

Fantastic rides all night. Deserved to win the Final, and I enjoyed the cheeky dig at Nigel Pearson and Kelvin Tatum in his post race interview with Steve Brandon (which the entire Marketa Stadium would have heard. Showed the pair of them, and Sky where to stick it, in regards to the bias shown towards Jason Crump recently. I hope now that Nicki goes on to win the series and become 3 time WC. By far the best rider out there again this year on a consistent basis.