British Speedway Forum

Cardiff Hotels

I phoned the marriot hotel this time last week, to book. I was informed at reservations, that "their systems was taking bookings to 20th june and to ring back end of the month. A rung yesterday, only to be informed their was no room at the inn!!!! to say they felt the wrath of my tongue was a slight understatement.Fortunately i JUST got rooms fr next year at the park inn practically round the corner :approve:

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holiday Inn Cardiff this year - £ 95 for one night + £40 petrol = £ 135 (for 2)

Next year they want £ 175 per night, minimum 2 nights = £ 350 + £50 petrol = £ 400 (for 2)

Prague in a couple of weeks - Hotel next to Charles Bridge (2 nts) = £200 + Flights £136 = £ 336 (for 2)

I know which city I prefer.

We have been to most of the GP venues around Europe and always get good quality hotels (Radisson,Mercure,Novotel etc) at very reasonable prices (around £60) but there are cheaper ones available, and along with cheap flights the overall trip is much cheaper (as is the beer!!!)

Next year they want £ 175 per night, minimum 2 nights = £ 350 + £50 petrol = £ 400 (for 2)

Prague in a couple of weeks - Hotel next to Charles Bridge (2 nts) = £200 + Flights £136 = £ 336 (for 2)

I know which city I prefer.

We have been to most of the GP venues around Europe and always get good quality hotels (Radisson,Mercure,Novotel etc) at very reasonable prices (around £60) but there are cheaper ones available, and along with cheap flights the overall trip is much cheaper (as is the beer!!!)

Was in the Holiday Inn Cardiff Central this year and have now booked for next year. At these prices I think is going to be my last visit as I feel the ripoff will only get worse and I have had enough. If we had not booked the tickets first I don't think I would be there next year. I fully expect the attendance of the Cardiff GP to start to decline after this year but of course everyone will have their own reasons but mine will be daylight robbery with the accomodation. It would seem that with the loss of the football to Wembley, that Speedway seems to be 'the big one' and the prices are reflecting this. The early announcement of the date for next year, and the early release of tickets, has caused the rush which it should be remembered is the opportunity for IMG and most of the Hoteliers to have your money now for a full year in advance. Another opportunity to rip you off. :mad:

:blink::blink:

I have heard that the Rugby League Authorities, the RFL, are moving the Millenium Magic weekend to Edinburgh next year because of the way fans were ripped off in Cardiff this year. It was mentioned apparently in an official statement by the RFL. They have been working behind the scenes on deals for people in Edinburgh and have got gaurantees on such things as hotel prices and availability for the weekend from many sources.

I'm not saying move the GP from Cardiff, but it's nice to see a sports authority getting involved in fair play for the paying customers and basically saying enough is enough. Couldn't really see the IMG/BSI doing anything to stop the speedway fan getting ripped off left, right and centre, could you ????

Edited by NOBBY

I just had dejavu :blink:

Was it tasty Shazzy !! what is it, a new French cullinary delight ?? :wink:

Oh dear !!! I must admit I didn't read through all the posts !!! I'll do a hundred lines of ' I must pay more attention'...sorry Shazzy !! :wink:

Even so, my last statement still stands about top marks to the RFL for looking after the fans interests. Please take note Mr. Bellamy !!

Edited by NOBBY

Was it tasty Shazzy !! what is it, a new French cullinary delight ?? :wink:

Oh dear !!! I must admit I didn't read through all the posts !!! I'll do a hundred lines of ' I must pay more attention'...sorry Shazzy !! :wink:

Even so, my last statement still stands about top marks to the RFL for looking after the fans interests. Please take note Mr. Bellamy !!

IIRC he did say something prior to this years GP. By the prices now being asked by the hoteliers, they obviously didn't listen to him. :angry:

Exactly the same for me. Was expecting the Holiday Inn to sell out instantly so went to book last Sunday when they became available and was shocked by the increase. No way I'm paying that. I can get 1 weeks accomodation in Orlando for less than that and its better quality too. Plus Disney is far less Mickey Mouse than speedway too!

Was in the Holiday Inn Cardiff Central this year and have now booked for next year. At these prices I think is going to be my last visit as I feel the ripoff will only get worse and I have had enough. If we had not booked the tickets first I don't think I would be there next year.

:blink:

Can it really get any worse? :blink:

I didn't think so!

So after giving the Holiday Inn the bird, I called a B&B further out of town. They have room rates of £30 per person in June according to their website which still isn't exactly cheap for a B&B but was acceptable. They said they would have to call me back to confirm price / availability because it was so far ahead. Low and behold the phone rings 20 minutes later and we are told there is availability and its £60 per person per night. Thats more than I paid at the Holiday Inn this year. For a frickin B&B on the edge of town! :angry:

Luckily we live less than an hour drive from Cardiff, so for us the hotel isn't a necessity. Just a luxury to allow a good social drinking session! But I really feel sorry for others that need to stay but still end up 30 odd miles away to get a reasonable price.

Even the trains are a bleeding rip off. Single to Cardiff on the Sat morning is £8, coming home in the evening after 9pm on a heaving busy train is over £20!

Now thinking of hiring a Limo to pick us up after the GP and drive us home. For 6 of us will be the same price as the train or a hotel and can choose departure time and drink on the way home in luxury!

People worrying about hotel prices going up, and saying 2009 will be their last year etc. should remember that come 2010 Newport will have an absolute glut of hotels which are all being erected for the Ryder Cup.

I can't imagine there being much call for them at any other time so would think it could be quite possible to get the rooms for a reasonable price.

People worrying about hotel prices going up, and saying 2009 will be their last year etc. should remember that come 2010 Newport will have an absolute glut of hotels which are all being erected for the Ryder Cup.

I can't imagine there being much call for them at any other time so would think it could be quite possible to get the rooms for a reasonable price.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. :approve:

Just booked in at the Travelodge in Monmouth for Saturday, £61 + £1 cancellation insurance. We worked it out that staying there this year + car park at Dumfries Place (£12.50) was cheaper than staying in Cardiff, and it's about 30 minutes drive from Cardiff. Plus it's cheaper next year than this year (£70 +£1+£12.50).

Interesting that I went to the Ice Racing in Berlin in March. My hotel was also where all the riders were staying, and the place was full of fans but the rates were actually the same as any other weekend. OK it's not the same as Cardiff (there were only 5,000 fans in attendance) but even in Assen (capacity 12,000), the Hotels have "special rates" for the Ice Racing which are sometimes cheaper than regular rates