British Speedway Forum

The Cardiff Grand Prix Discussion Thread

What we could do with less of were drunken East Europeans who were somewhat intimidating for said 10 year old. I know speedway is bigger than football in Poland but surely they don't have to behave like football fans do they?

It doesn't look like it's restricted to East Europeans. In fact, similar events occur at Parken - another stadium in the middle of the city with bars aplenty around it and alcohol available in the stadium.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't look like it's restricted to East Europeans. In fact, similar events occur at Parken - another stadium in the middle of the city with bars aplenty around it and alcohol available in the stadium.

That is true.There are a fair amount of drunken Danish fans at big meetings.Danish Final,Vojens SWC,etc.But Parken does seem to have an element of not only drunken fans but aggresive Danes as well.

Edited by iris123

I'm a Brit through and through and I'll admit I was well pickled all weekend but I love everyone when drunk hmmmmmm must of had a sober moment when it came to Nicki P though :wink::lol:

Shazzybird in sober moment during Cardiff weekend ??? :shock::shock:

There were lots more drunks this year. I guess the people doing it think its great, i think its silly that you can't take a plastic bottle in but you can go and get pint after pint. Up and down inbetween races to get another round or going to the loo.

The tickets are expensive and with travel costs its a kick in the groin when your day can be spoilt because people cant take there drink then get nasty when asked to calm down. The stewards should pay more attention to these people and throw them out.

Edited by Coventry_Bee

From Mark Webber's BBC Blog:

For myself, I have had a busy few days running up to the race. There was the test last week at Silverstone, then I went to the British Speedway Grand Prix in Cardiff on Saturday night.

It was a great night's entertainment and it was made even better because an Aussie, Jason Crump, won it.

Another Aussie, Leigh Adams, who came up to the Silverstone F1 test, was taken out by a Danish rider who caused a bit of controversy and got booed.

There was a great atmosphere in the Millennium stadium and the racing was brilliant - side by side, touching each other and a bit of controversy as well.

I thought the whole event was great - super presentation and music :wink: b it biased there though LOL

Looking forward to 2009 event now, I hope they never move it from Cardiff the whole day is a great experience being in the town and literally taking over the roads at the end of the night.

Thought the Motocross demo team was good but probably lasted double what was needed. Scary how high they went and how short the distance was for stopping at the other end of the jump!

Thought the flame throwers added a bit of pizazz.

Also liked the interviews being done on the center green rather than behind the scenes. A lot of the footage underneath breaks up so was good to have clear picture on the big screens.

Shame that one of the big screens failed. Think they should have left it on at the start with the colors looking a bit naff. As soon as thy turned it off to reset it lost everything and went blue then just turned off!

Will leave the comments on Nick P and the ref on the specific threads, there are plenty of them LOL

Bit of a shame about the airhorn confusion as the stadium and town was not as noisy as normal, I guess many people never knew about the restrictions or decided against the stadium approved gasses.

Rich

Edited by richsimpson

Really enjoyed my first Grand Prix and hope to go back next year. Crump was a deserved winner and Hancock a deserved second. Atmosphere was good as well.