British Speedway Forum

The Cardiff Grand Prix Discussion Thread

No problem, no offence taken, the Grand Prix would not be the same without Nicki.

Agreed :approve: though I think we may be in the minority!

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not being arond on sat i managed to avoid the result and watched the re run on sunday afternoon very good meeting. felt sorry for Adams and Bjane as all four should have been the call .

Good to see crump back to his old self as he seem to have lost his focus over the last year and a half and will now give nicki somethink to worried about .

First chance to post on last night.

First of all big well done to Crumpie on winning and his nice comments regarding Belle Vue although I imagine 99% of the folks inside the stadium don't think BV are the best club in Britain.

Nice drive down, met up with my Auntie and Uncle in Cardiff and just chilled in the grounds of the castle most of the afternoon watching the speedway folk go by.

Good job I don't suffer with vertigo as the seats we had, though I'm not complaining as I won them, were very high above the fourth bend. Great security going into the stadium. Big sign saying no recording equipment etc is allowed. I had a bag carrying what could only have been a camcorder and did I get stopped.........nope. The sign also said that mobile phones must be turned off once inside the stadium.....I imagine nobody entered the competition then?

Gutted that the screen above bends 1 and 2 wasn't working as this meant we couldn't see any of the replays and who put the big SGP logo on the same bends upside down? Amazed nobody noticed it at the stadium and changed it.

Racing wasn't much to write home about TBH. Not much passing but I put that down to bad track preperation. Ref was useless IMO but I can't be bothered getting involved with the in-depth discussions about his decisions that have been going on. Should have been all 4 back both times.

The Riders:

Adams - Not at his best but was unlucky to be excluded in his final outing.

Dryml - May as well not have bothered.

Nicholls - Best GP for a long time. Nerves got the better of him in the final.

Iversen - Rode well IMO. Made a big mistake in heat 20 that led to him and Bomber taking a tumble.

Harris - As Nicholls. Brave lad to come out for the rerun of heat 20.

Gollob - Not in the mood and it showed. Poor IMO.

Lindgren - Battled was not really at the races. Still wondering where he had both wheels over the white line (not seen the TV replay yet)

Holta - Good when gated but looked poor when he didn't. Glad to see him get up after he clipped Nicki's back wheel and hig-sided it.

Kennett - On the pace but was easily picked off when leading.

N Pedersen - Luckiest rider of the night. Simple as that.

Kasprzak - Same as Dryml IMO. Poor

Crump - Awesome. Gating well and riding the track well. Miracle he stayed on in his last ride.

Hancock - Same as Crump. Gating well and rode really well.

Andersen - Below par IMO. Seen him have better GP's.

Jonsson - Same as Andersen.

B Pedersen - Best GP for a long, long time. Unlucky to be thrown out of the first semi-final.

The missus was gutted she didn't get to Simon Stead in action........I wasn't :lol:

Roll on 2009.

First of all what a great day! I felt like a bit of a "Billy No Mates" heading down on my own after all the years of undercover operations with the Swindon mafia, but yesterday was definitely my best Cardiff ever, and that was before I even saw a wheel truned in anger. Within 2 minutes of arriving at the PoW I was deep in conversation with Silver Bee and Babe619 and I don't think I stopped talking 19 to the dozen until I finally fell asleep on the coach after midnight. To cap it all, when we got back the the old Snail charm pursuaded the driver to drop me at the Abbey rather than the County Ground so that I was staggering distance from home. :approve:

I think I met 22 new Forum members altogether, although I'm sure that I may have forgotten 1 or 2 as the "Brains" count headed towards double figures! I'll update my list when I get a minute. It was also great to see so many "old faces" too, especially Sandie (who sorted out my ticket), Dorset Delight (who bizarrely remembered me comparing Zabik's appalling attendance record with Grange Hill's Gripper Stebson), Paulco (who bought me a beer even though I was deep in conversation with shazzy and TNT) and Queen Bee (who looked so pleased to see me that I thought there must have been a real hunk stood just over my shoulder). :D

As for the meeting, well I've seen it again sober and there is no doubt that it was ruined by the referee. Leigh wasn't having a good night anyway, but quite what he did wrong in Heat 17 was beyond me. If he'd have made the semi final then anything could have happened. Nicki should have been out, end of. For the same thing to happen to Bjarne shortly afterwards was inexcusable if not altogether surprising.

At least the best man won the meeting, and not just because the Snail millions were invested at 9-2. Good on ya Jason, finally back on the gas. :approve:

Credit to the Brits too - Eddie battled gamely in every ride, Bomber was brave without quite hitting last year's dizzy heights and Scott was quick all night even if his bottle went just at the crucial moment. One day maybe? :unsure:

Roll on 2009!

Edited by Seb the Snail

I don't think Scotty's bottle went at all. He knew that gate 3 had been rubbish all night and he knew that the only way he stood a chance was to make the gate. He was obviously really up for it, but mis-judged it, as did Jonsson twice in the previous semi on the same gate, luckily for Andreas he didn't touch the tapes, he just got a flyer - twice!! Well Done Scotty rode his socks off, really proud of him. Of course I am disappointed, would have loved to have seen how he would have done if he had made the gate successfully.

if everybody keeps whinin about the rutted track with some dirt on it, you all will get concrete surfaces. the powers that be read this forum, and all everyone is doin is puttin a nail in the coffin for a track with dirt and a chance to pass for the riders. as for the riders complaining, it was the same for everybody and each individual has to figure out a way to overcome it and do it better than the others. i hate watchin racers smoke their tyre on a blue groove posin for the cameras and not even gettin winded. this sport is tough. injuries happen. i want everybody to quit whining and get on with it. i for one, from what i have seen already, it was a good effort to make a track for passing and that.... is the future of speedway otherwise it will surely die. :mad:

Have to say the choice of music was great

When Nicki was having his accidents, the music was "Bad Boys, Bad Boys .. What you gonna do" then "He's a Scumbag" and then in the semi-final as he gotto his feet ...."I'm a Winker (misprint) ... Nice

Jason Crump won a race ..."We're off to see the Wizard .... The Wonderful Wizard of Oz"

...and when Hancock won one of his races they played 'I come from a land down under....' :blink:

Edited by BjarneRubble

And for me, the biggest embarrassment of the night is that idiot Nigel Pearson. I have never heard a sports commentator make such an arrogant and disgraceful comment as 'end of' thus proclaiming his opinion is the only opinion worthy of consideration. Nigel 'scoop' Pearson is the biggest embarrassment to British speedway because if he irritates us fans, imagine what non fans must be thinking, and some may well be turning off.

On another more positive note, how great to see Johno doing the pit walk, informative and interesting, and the riders like him so he interviews well. Reminds me of the Brundle F1 pit walk.

COMPLETELY Agree!

Kick a man when he's down why don't you, nothing typical about him in that race, Scott was off of Gate 3 he needed to get a good fast start (hence someone had already been warned for rolling at the tapes TWICE in one race from said gate!) unfortunately for Scott after what seemed a lifetime waiting for the "tapes up" he went through them, his mechanics were very confident of Scott reaching the final this year something that hasn't happened for a while, so much so they convinced people to go and bet on him ..... I did and it was worth losing the tenner, would of been nice to have won but heyho. The world if full of "if only" .... he hadn't broke the tapes he would of had 3rd placing at least with Nicki being excluded.

Must admit with Scott though my heart went into my mouth when Jase did his hop skip and jump over the winning line ........... jeeeeeeeeeeeez I bet they both cacked themselves then!!!!

I don't think Scotty's bottle went at all. He knew that gate 3 had been rubbish all night and he knew that the only way he stood a chance was to make the gate. He was obviously really up for it, but mis-judged it, as did Jonsson twice in the previous semi on the same gate, luckily for Andreas he didn't touch the tapes, he just got a flyer - twice!! Well Done Scotty rode his socks off, really proud of him. Of course I am disappointed, would have loved to have seen how he would have done if he had made the gate successfully.

Agree, with these two posts...he needed to make a start from Gate 3, and HAD to go for it. Ref was terrible, holding starts. Good night from Nicholls, plenty of positives.

I also do not think people can complain to much at Nicki P; it was the referee who made the decisions. Every rider in the GPs stay down in a first bend bunch situation; and all would also take their place in a re-run.

And for me, the biggest embarrassment of the night is that idiot Nigel Pearson. I have never heard a sports commentator make such an arrogant and disgraceful comment as 'end of' thus proclaiming his opinion is the only opinion worthy of consideration. Nigel 'scoop' Pearson is the biggest embarrassment to British speedway because if he irritates us fans, imagine what non fans must be thinking, and some may well be turning off.

His arrogant (apologies for repeating the word, but no other will do) self-promotion was utterly sickening. He abuses his platform to shamelessly boost his own ego. I'm not interested in hearing about how he has commentated on cup finals and Manchester United matches. Anyway, TalkSport is the Sunday Sport of radio, so he's no John Motson.

if everybody keeps whinin about the rutted track with some dirt on it, you all will get concrete surfaces. the powers that be read this forum, and all everyone is doin is puttin a nail in the coffin for a track with dirt and a chance to pass for the riders. as for the riders complaining, it was the same for everybody and each individual has to figure out a way to overcome it and do it better than the others. i hate watchin racers smoke their tyre on a blue groove posin for the cameras and not even gettin winded. this sport is tough. injuries happen. i want everybody to quit whining and get on with it. i for one, from what i have seen already, it was a good effort to make a track for passing and that.... is the future of speedway otherwise it will surely die. :mad:

I'm afraid I have to disagree. When Hans lifted and fell on the straight could have been really nasty if another rider had hit him. An incident caused 100% by the track.

So who finish third in Saturday's GP. Today's Times has 1st JC 2nd GH and 3rd Bjarne Pedersen and 4th SN

Is this correct or was Nikki Pedersen third?. As Nikki Pedersen and Scott Nicholls were both credited with no points in the final surely Scotty should be placed higher than Nikki Pedersen as he scored more points overall in the other races.

I have to say I thought it was a great day all round. Pre meeting entertainment was excellent, the racin was good, if not as spectacular as Copenhagen 2 weeks ago or last years British GP, the DJ was brilliant, (only mistake being thinking Adams had pipped Hancock on the line & playing land down under.) Loved the I'm a W***er wen the ref messed up again! The atmosphere was superb again & the Brits did us proud. But Scotty, what a wally!

All in all cracking day out.

Four riders went to the tape for the final.

Nicholls hit the tapes and was excluded - that made him 4th.

In the restart Pedersen fell off :lol: - that made him 3rd

Hancock finished behind Crump - that made him 2nd

Crump won the race - that made him 1st

Simple really. Sounds like your paper just got their Pedersens mixed up.