British Speedway Forum

Who was Raymond Humphries?

Railway End

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe Ray Humphries was the real name of Tyburn Gallows who rode in the 60's

Raymond Humphries changed his name to Tyburn Gallows as he was the last apprentice hangman in Britain (my dad was his mechanic) wow what a claim to fame there  :lol:

I always wondered why he chose that name, its taken me all these years to find that out...........Nice one "Shazzybird"

Raymond Humphries changed his name to Tyburn Gallows as he was the last apprentice hangman in Britain (my dad was his mechanic) wow what a claim to fame there  

Do you know if that is actually true, Shazzy, or was it another of his fantasies? Tyburn Gallows was a nutcase!!! :roll:

Didn't realise he'd passed on.

Do you know when, so i can update my database for my proposed website??

I'm afraid he is no longer with us, having been called to that great scaffold in the sky.

Well I thought he had, but I have just come across this in a guest book on a web site:

Apr 24th 2003 at 02:51:49 PM

What is your name?

TYBURN GALLOWS

How did you find this Web Site?

VIA IVAN MAUGER

Where are you from?

ENGLAND

Do you have any comments?

RODE FOR HACKNEY HAWKS AND RAYLEIGH/RYE HOUSE ROCKETS IN THE 1970s AND KNEW MOST OF THE DADS OF THE LADS RIDING TODAY. GOOD SITE NICE PICTURES. WILL CHECK BACK AGAIN SOON.

Hmmm.....

Shazzy, help!

Dad was introduced to speedway by Mr Gallows and was his mechanic until Tyburn was injured, will have to ask dad whatever happend to him when he comes round for a cuppa this week sometime hopefully I can find somthing out for you Norbold x Strange that he never mentioned riding for Canterbury in his profile line up there though :?

Strange that he never mentioned riding for Canterbury in his profile line up there though :?

Yes. And as far as I know he didn't ride for Hackney, Rayleigh or Rye House in the 70s. He was a 60s rider at Rye House and Canterbury. Perhaps it is someone else using his name and I was right in the first place???

I spoke to Dad and Uncle Ted today both say he is alive and kicking, Uncle Ted saw him a little while ago @ Rye House.

Dad also confirmed the above about Tyburn being the last apprentice hangman in Britain, Tyburn changed his name by deed pole in honour of this.

Thanks Shazzy.

He changed his name by deed pole because the Control Board wouldn't let him use the name Tyburn Gallows. Once he'd done that, of course, they couldn't stop him. But they did get their own way over banning him from wearing a 'Ban the Bomb' motif on his race jacket!

I have been trying to remember why I thought Tyburn Gallows was no longer with us and have just discovered where I got this - obviously erroneous - information from. He is marked as such in the 1999 list of members of the Veteran Riders Association. (It's the latest one I have). Does anyone have a more up to date list where this has been corrected? Steve?

And yes, Tyburn Gallows did ride for Canterbury in 1968. In fact he took part in the first-ever race in the British League Second Division, lining up with Lex Milloy against Taffy Owen and Ken Eyre of Belle Vue Colts. I won't embarrass Shazzy or Steve by revealing the score!