British Speedway Forum

Ermmm why? :blink:

Finished 3rd in the British Final ahead of Chris Harris who he beat in the final. From what I can remember and think of, that would of been Tai's first time riding at Swindon. He was right on the pace and has even scored well whilst riding in the Elite League this season.

Give him a try B)

To right I think that we have nothing to lose and every thing to gain.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and IF he scores 0 i wonder who will be the first to jump on the wagon and accuse the team selection.

I'm sure the forum pedants will more than happily trawl back though this thread to quote people's before and after comments.

Ermmm why?

I think it's too early. He's a real talent, but I would want to see him have a season (or at least half a season running up to the SWC) in the EL before I put him

in.

The British Final was weak, although he did very well. Beating Chris Harris from the back was a cracking ride.

After watching him last Thursday I think he at least deserves a chance ahead of the likes of Ollie Allen.

That would be the same Olly Allen that tops the Coventry averages, with a near 9 point average, at Brandon. :rolleyes:

Off the top of my head he's only finished 3rd or 4th a couple of times, and had an engine failure at the gate on one occasion.

He's a dead cert starter. Horses for courses mate. :)

I think it's too early. He's a real talent, but I would want to see him have a season (or at least half a season running up to the SWC) in the EL before I put him

in.

The British Final was weak, although he did very well. Beating Chris Harris from the back was a cracking ride.

That would be the same Olly Allen that tops the Coventry averages, with a near 9 point average, at Brandon. :rolleyes:

Off the top of my head he's only finished 3rd or 4th a couple of times, and had an engine failure at the gate on one occasion.

Both very fair comments on Tai and Ollie Allen. I will also add it will be pretty hard NOT to pick Ollie Allen at Coventry and also Eddie Kennett after his great showing in the British Final and his league form. Even picking Woffinden in front of Stead would be a hard call - At least its nice to have some sort of selection problem..

in.

I agree really - like everyone I think Tai is an awesome prospect but with Stead and Allen both riding for Coventry this season it's an absolute no-brainer to include them. Tai's time will come soon enough - maybe even next year, so what's the hurry?

From what I can remember and think of, that would of been Tai's first time riding at Swindon

PLRC last season :wink:

If it was anywhere other than Coventry I would agree with you, but Stead and more especially Allen should be considered first as they ride it every week.

Ermmm why? :blink:

Finished 3rd in the British Final ahead of Chris Harris who he beat in the final. From what I can remember and think of, that would of been Tai's first time riding at Swindon. He was right on the pace and has even scored well whilst riding in the Elite League this season.

Give him a try B)

PLRC last year Tai rode.

dont forget Silverbee.......... only .75 :wink::lol:

He'll do it :D

Team selection should depend on what Jim Lynch actually hopes to get out of the exercise. I think even he would agree that we do not have the greatest chance of winning this tournament (though anything can happen, of course). However, his squad selection has shown a reasonable amount of faith in the younger riders, so ignoring them when it comes to picking the team would make this whole exercise pointless. I agree that we do not want to disgrace ourselves on the world stage, but not giving vital experience to our younger riders would be ridiculous. Scott, Rico, Bomber, Stead - these guys have all been there before: There's not a lot for them to learn from this. By all means keep some of them in - you can't remove the backbone of the team, after all. But preparing for the future is vital.

If he wants us to progress to the final and then battle for third place, then he should pick the ringers. If however, he wants to throw a couple of the young guys in at the deep end so they can see what's what, then he should make (IMHO) the sensible decision and pick a team that looks a little like this:

Scott

Bomber

Lee

Eddie

Tai

What would we stand to gain from putting Stead (inconsistent at best) and Allen (injured, bit of a risk) in the team when the top three should provide enough fire power to get us through to the next round and Tai and Eddie can get a sniff of riding in the world cup. I would even consider putting Danny King in, in place of one of the top three, but that might be a risk too far. I've been reasonably impressed with him so far this season, and it might give him the drive to take that next step.

Both very fair comments on Tai and Ollie Allen. I will also add it will be pretty hard NOT to pick Ollie Allen at Coventry and also Eddie Kennett after his great showing in the British Final and his league form. Even picking Woffinden in front of Stead would be a hard call - At least its nice to have some sort of selection problem..

I think you have hit it on the head. Isn't it great to have a problem who to choose?

The past couple of years we have had little choice.

I just wish Bridger could stay on his bike, otherwise it woukd be an even more difficult choice!!!

No what was a good selection problem was knowing who to leave out of Malcolm Simmonds, Kenny Carter, Dave Jessup, Peter Collins, Michael Lee, Les Collins, Chris Morton etc etc .......

This really is a difficult selection issue for Jim Lynch and as much as some of us think it is a no brainer in terms of building for the future we dont know what the targets are that he has been given... if indeed he has any

Maybe Stekkers plan will be for Denmark to go into the race-off.Britain may then be lucky and go straight through.There does seem to be an advantage in not going straight through.For Denmark both in terms of getting a better crowd for the race-off and getting important track practice :unsure:

PLRC last season :wink:

If it was anywhere other than Coventry I would agree with you, but Stead and more especially Allen should be considered first as they ride it every week.

No way should Stead be in.

I would go for the following team at Coventry:

Scott Nicholls

Chris Harris

Lee Richardson

Simon Stead

Edward Kennett

Reserve: Oliver Allen

And then following team for Vojens:

Scott Nicholls

Chris Harris

Lee Richardson