British Speedway Forum

Hard Racing Or Dirty Riding?

Just watching the repeat of the Speedway Grand Prix and just wanted to know what other peoples thoughts are on the incident between AJ and Gollob!

Personally Im not a fan of Gollob anyway so therfore my view might be a tad bias but... what a dirty b*****d! The sport is dangerous enough without having to worry about people doing stupid things in front of somone. And to top it off I think the ref excluded the wrong rider! You could clearly see in the replays that Gollob was turning left too early.

Your thoughts!

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most top riders (and sportsman) for that are ruthless, Pedersen can be very, very hard, in the past some of the best speedway riders in the world have been ruthless, it is why they reach the top. Gollob as been consistently top for so many years now, and that is because on his day he is superb, and when needed will be ruthless.

Look at F1, Schumacher, Senna, Prost were all equally ruthless at times.

My initial thoughts were that Gollob was at fault for the incident,he definitely looked to see where Jonsson was,and then turned left on him.

Watching the replays only confirmed for me that the wrong rider was excluded.

As a lakeside fan I am inclined to put the boot into Gollob, but I am giving him the benefit of the doubt, yes he looked over and yes turned left, but i believe he itended to move infront of AJ without touching him, unfortunatly AJ was travelling at some speed and clipped the back wheel , its a move MOST riders will make at some stage, I just hope he is not injured. As they say in speedway - what goes round comes round

As they say in speedway - what goes round comes round

I really, really detest that statement, along with the sentiment associated with most uses of it. It makes it sound as if you hope that Gollob would get injured. Surely that is something that none of us should wish on any riders, even ones we don't like? If that was not your intent - then my apologies.

I've kept out of the discussion so far because after the incident happened, I couldn't bring myself to watch the replays. It looked bad enough first time round, let alone in triple slow motion. I therefore cannot (or will not) comment on who was to blame - it's an argument that could rage for years - possibly not in the same league as the Penhall/Carter LA incident to be fair.

I really, really detest that statement, along with the sentiment associated with most uses of it. It makes it sound as if you hope that Gollob would get injured. Surely that is something that none of us should wish on any riders, even ones we don't like? If that was not your intent - then my apologies.

I've kept out of the discussion so far because after the incident happened, I couldn't bring myself to watch the replays. It looked bad enough first time round, let alone in triple slow motion. I therefore cannot (or will not) comment on who was to blame - it's an argument that could rage for years - possibly not in the same league as the Penhall/Carter LA incident to be fair.

there`s no argument `Bobbin,Carter fell off on his own :wink::lol:

I don't think that Gollob meant AJ any harm. The thing is, you have to have a certain mentality to be a speedway rider. It is all about winning and to be a winner you do sometimes have to be ruthless. But sometimes it doesn't turn out how the rider planned and I am sure Gollob feels dreadful this morning about AJ. Unfortunately it is the nature of the sport, 500 cc bikes with no brakes and split second decisions to beat an opponent, sometimes the decision the rider makes is wrong, speedway riders are human and do make mistakes. We have had numerous arguements on here over the years about people causing accidents and being blamed for accidents, the fact is I am 100% certain that no speedway rider goes out with the sole intention of maiming another. They go out with the intention of winning the race and if the situation occurs that they are battling for position, remember they are going at 60ish mph with no brakes and they have to make a split second decision as to how they will pass, they don't have ages to think about what they are going to do, it is split second, sometimes that decision is the wrong one and an accident occurs.

Who knows what was going through Gollob's or AJ's head at the time. Perhaps Gollob thought AJ was going to try and pass him on the inside, so he blocked the move, unfortunately in the meantime AJ had decided to go round the outside. Who knows? But it was obvious that they both wanted to win. Personally I just think it was an error of judgement on both sides because unfortunately neither are mind readers.

Gollob is an absolute legend and is probably the best rider never to win a world championship...... and is certainly the most talented rider of our generation.... his bad boy past has become more of a distant memory and along with the Brits he is the guy I cheer for the most.............. but i'm seriously going to have to reconsider that as last night was a disgraceful move

Yes Tomasz chooses lines that others dont and it quite often involves an unorthadox diamond shape but it was clear to see last night that he clocked AJ coming up his inside and then simply turned left on him halfway down the straight.... very naughty

p.s. Carter was stitched........ by Dunlops and Chips

Edited by spook

Watch the replays again, Gollob didn't look left at all, I don't think Gollob was to blame for Jonssons crash he was virtually a full bike length in front, it was a typical Jonsson crash how many times has he had crashes like that in GP's clipping someone's back wheel, he did it at Belle Vue too at the start of the season when he ran into Lanham and injured his hand.

QUOTE (Rob B @ May 25 2008, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Watch the replays again, Gollob didn't look left at all, I don't think Gollob was to blame for Jonssons crash he was virtually a full bike length in front, it was a typical Jonsson crash how many times has he had crashes like that in GP's clipping someone's back wheel, he did it at Belle Vue too at the start of the season when he ran into Lanham and injured his hand.

Sky shown it from a number of angles and from the head-on angle you could see Gollob look to his left as they were entering the home straight. Someone in the Sky studio made a comment about it and the camera backed him up.

In my opinion turning left on the straight is one of the worst things a rider can do. He went acros gate 3 that lap and never did again for the rest of the night so I think that he knew full well what he was doing although I don't suppose for one minute he expected the outcome to be so bad. I couldn't believe he wasn't excluded as Steele is usually a very good ref, guess he saw it differently but it sends a dangerous message to all the young riders watching.

Sky shown it from a number of angles and from the head-on angle you could see Gollob look to his left as they were entering the home straight. Someone in the Sky studio made a comment about it and the camera backed him up.

Yes he looked left as they were starting the home straight all riders do that to see where the rider is behind them they don't have wing mirrors! He didn't look left immediatly before the crash though.

He didn't need to as he already knew how close he was and could only be inside and drifting out. I really rate Gollob as a rider but I thought it was way over the top even for a GP where they are all pretty aggressive

As a lakeside fan I am inclined to put the boot into Gollob, but I am giving him the benefit of the doubt, yes he looked over and yes turned left, but i believe he itended to move infront of AJ without touching him,

i must agree.

think gollob was just eager to get on a particular piece of the track and he did check where AJ was and think he assumed he had the speed on him.

Nothing malicious or intent i believe.

QUOTE (Rob B @ May 25 2008, 01:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes he looked left as they were starting the home straight all riders do that to see where the rider is behind them they don't have wing mirrors! He didn't look left immediatly before the crash though.

lol Rob he can clearly be seen looking to his left straight before he turned left

Maliscious? I couldnt answer that and I think only a rider could answer that but at the very least he chose to shut the door on a part of the track where shutting the door doesnt exist

lol Rob he can clearly be seen looking to his left straight before he turned left

Maliscious? I couldnt answer that and I think only a rider could answer that but at the very least he chose to shut the door on a part of the track where shutting the door doesnt exist

No hes not! Watch it again time after time :

http://www.svt.se/svt/road/Classic/shared/...187&d=35828

He had a look coming out of 4th bend but like I said all riders do that but going down the straight his helmet looking straight forward.