British Speedway Forum

Raising the profile..................Who deserves a GP?

I nominate...............

Italy, For being motorsport mad, putting together an SWC team at short notice and being the home of GM.

Japan, For being motorsport mad (huge crowds for F1) and being the home of Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha. It'd show them a motorcycle sport where they aren't dominant.

Any others?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I nominate...............

Japan, For being motorsport mad (huge crowds for F1) and being the home of Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha. It'd show them a motorcycle sport where they aren't dominant.

Any others?

They're not dominant because they are not interested, surely if they were we would have seen something from them already, speedway has been around long enough for them to see if it's a sport in which they could/would participate, like you say they are the home of the above, road racing yes, speedway hmmmmm can't see it :cry: shame really we could do with more countries becoming involved.

Hampden Park :lol:

Well the Newport guys will tell you there is a Welsh GP so....... ;-)

How cool (or hot) would it be if they staged a GP in a popular holiday destination, say Majorca, Tenerife, Lanzarote? People could enjoy a week away with a GP thrown in too. Sun, sand, sea, sex and speedway.....aahh! :D

Ibiza has a nice little footy stadium, from what I could see it had an athletics track and wouldn't be too difficult to put a track inside there.

Talking about raising the profile - With these GP's in big Cities e.g Cardiff, Gothenberg, Copenhagen. How many locals who don't know about speedway find out about the event before the day? Prehaps having the World Champion *cough*adams*cough* and the top local rider with their bikes in the city centres a week before to advertise the event.

holland!

Isn't Isle of Wight a separate country as well :oops:

lol

France would be good with their interests in Longtrack etc.

Spain has a long biking tradition, all we need is a Spanish rider (um)

Italy has a biking tradition and always hosts qualifying rounds

Germany, since my visit to the Olympic Stadium (5-1) I still think that a gp would be amazing inside that place!

Russi then prehaps Mr Abramovice will pump his billions into speedway?!

USA, why not!?

Australia

New Zealand

imagine though going for some ganja before the speedway - everyone would be buzzing, maybes then you will all see the light and realise Nicki P is a nice guy

So true mate but i think for some pig headed people it would take a lot more than that!

Aparently in the next couple of years BSI are looking to take the GP series to the Stade de France and to Hong Kong.

I'd certainly be impressed if they managed to hold a gp at the stade de france, i remember hearing there was some interest in Monaco a couple of years ago too, we had Prince Albert as a guest at Cardiff didnt we :?:

On a purely selfish note i'd love to see a Gp on California, I did go to LA '82 but i was obviously a small child at the time ;-) but i can remember the buzz in the stadium

The U.S. would be fantastic if BSI could get some good promotion over there. Sporting events in the U.S. are more like stage shows. That's what's needed to bring new fans to speedway. Us hardcore speedway (thought I'd better put speedway in there before stevehone see this :shock::P ) fans may have to put up with dodgy trakcs for a while until the newbies are so hooked we can get them to go to our age old league tracks for international matches.

;):P

The U.S. would be fantastic if BSI could get some good promotion over there. Sporting events in the U.S. are more like stage shows. That's what's needed to bring new fans to speedway. Us hardcore speedway (thought I'd better put speedway in there before stevehone see this :shock::P ) fans may have to put up with dodgy trakcs for a while until the newbies are so hooked we can get them to go to our age old league tracks for international matches.

;):P

don't know what you mean 21CH....

i was at the LA 1982 World Final and from my memory the track was pretty good and that was a one-off track laid on the running track, so obviously someone out there knows what they are doing.

but then Ivan Mauger was one of the promoters not Ole Olsen.... ;)

Talking about raising the profile - With these GP's in big Cities e.g Cardiff, How many locals who don't know about speedway find out about the event before the day?

When we were in Cardiff we were amazed how many locals (old & young) asked US what was going on in THEIR City, when we replied with "The British Speedway Grand Prix" they asked what it was :? From that makes you wonder how much advertising actually goes on for our beloved sport :!: