British Speedway Forum

Punch Up's

Railway End

Gresh had a go at alot of riders, very very short tempered, he had Briggo by the throat on the floor. Also punched John Davis off his bike in full flight - lethal ! Almost put Nigel Boocock in hospital one night because he `got in the way` and that was his riding partner. (at Bristol) ...... Also the rider with the surname Tockz or something like that, he nearly killed him !

Andrzej Tkocz, a Pole who spent a couple of seasons at Poole around 1979-80.

gresh liked to fight with no helmet on. plus he was very adept at punching somebody sucessfully in the eyes even when wearing a helmet.. he had pretty good aim i reckon.. :approve:

I remember Rob Grant Snr at Berrington, would've been 86/87 and i'm pretty sure it was Eric Monaghan that took him off on the 3rd/4th bends, well, if Granty wasn't waiting for him when he came back round to get back to the pits and smacked him one with his helmet still on!!!

Half the pits and centre green staff were over trying to sort it out, i remember i was sitting over in the wee stand on the back straight but when this kicked off we flew over to the 3rd/4th bend for a better view of proceedings :lol:

gresh liked to fight with no helmet on. plus he was very adept at punching somebody sucessfully in the eyes even when wearing a helmet.. he had pretty good aim i reckon.. :approve:

Hee hee, sounds like him, I used to love watching him at Eastville, Bristol. He was forever being excluded, cutting people up, knocking them off etc. What a charachter! Made me wonder how he made a living from it ..... Sandman - it sounds like you knew him personally?

Hee hee, sounds like him, I used to love watching him at Eastville, Bristol. He was forever being excluded, cutting people up, knocking them off etc. What a charachter! Made me wonder how he made a living from it ..... Sandman - it sounds like you knew him personally?

i got his autograph once or twice. anyway, he was good to watch, and sure could get the crowd fired up. i remember one time seein him run across the the center green during the races to use the bathroom in an emergency because he ate some english version of mexican food a few hours before. i think he got excluded under the two minute rule. great stuff. :lol:

Neil Collins and the late Wayne Garrett had a big set to at Cradley one year, 91 I think it was.

Also remember some fighting between Belle Vue and Wolves fans outside the Chieftain Stand in 1989. Stood there amazed at it, I was only 10 at the time.

i seem to remember gresh sorting billy sanders and john berry once at the height of the crump - sanders wars in early 80s.

gresh was the rider that got me interested in speedway, got wiped by ian cartwright, no moaning, no whining, just got back up and clattered him in the re run coming out of turn 2.

i seem to remember gresh sorting billy sanders and john berry once at the height of the crump - sanders wars in early 80s.

gresh was the rider that got me interested in speedway, got wiped by ian cartwright, no moaning, no whining, just got back up and clattered him in the re run coming out of turn 2.

dont think Gresh would have gotten the better of Billy. A draw at best, but unlikely.. Billy was tougher than most.

Remember Rob Tilbury involved in a stramash at Ipswich in 1989, can't remember the Ipswich rider he was involved with but he tried to pull him off his bike after the race and then the usual fisticuffs in the pits.Sure a few others got involved as the pits at Ipswich weren't the hardest to get access to in those days!!!

Berrington wasn't always the nicest of places to go to.Martin Scarisbrick got threatened by a rake wielding member of the track staff as he lay injured during a Newcastle match in 1983.

The Peter Oakes incident at Shawfield was him thinking Grieves had knocked off one of the Panthers(could've been Pedersen), when it had actually been Jesper Olsen!!! Peter didn't know Grieves did boxing training either!!!

Edited by DW

Remember Rob Tilbury involved in a stramash at Ipswich in 1989, can't remember the Ipswich rider he was involved with but he tried to pull him off his bike after the race and then the usual fisticuffs in the pits.Sure a few others got involved as the pits at Ipswich weren't the hardest to get access to in those days!!!

Wasn't it Pete Chapman who Tilbury had a scuffle with?

• 1 month later...

Steve Gresham,Peter Prinsloo and Kevin Smith all hard bastards not affraid to mix it.

I remember Gresham and Smith knocking seven bells out of each other in the pits at Reading one night.Kev beat the hell out of Rick Miller at Poole one night and had to say sorry at the parade the next week.

I can remember Mitch Shirra giving Arthur Browning a headbutt while Arthur still had his helmet on at the old Perry Barr.

It was quite funny actually cos Mitch is a right little squirt & Browning towered over him but it did n't stop him

Also remember Gary Guglielmi doing exactly the same to one of the Verner's at Exeter, can't remember if it was Vaclav or Jan.

I remember Kevin Smith losing it and going for Kelvin Mullarkey on the track at Rye House. The funny thing of course was that they were both on the same team :lol: (Kelvin had been third, holding Smithy up and had then fallen, causing Kevin to have to lay his bike down, hence the red mist)

Makes what BJ did on Friday night against Belle Vue look like exactly what it was, a storm in a tea cup.

Edited by psymon

When I was chatting to Uncle Ted the other day I mentioned about this thread to him and he said he remembers loads from the 70's / 80's but the one that came to mind straight away was when Danny Kennedy took him out in a race, when they got back to the pits Uncle Ted was sat on his tool box calming down Danny came back into the pits and just got on with his business this got right up Uncs. nose so he went over to him and said something to him Danny just looked at him as Uncle Ted walked back over to his bike he thought to himself "he never even apologised" so with that off came the steel shoe and that was it all hell let lose!

Glad I didn't inherit his temper :rolleyes::lol: