British Speedway Forum

Favorite Away Track-what Is Yours?

BOBBATH

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I was only there once, the old Belle Vue made a real impression on me.

I was taken by the decaying splendour of the place - the old stands, the big pacy track and the mural over the entrance overlooking the second bend. Also the surrounding area which in the 1980s was in serious decline - the old exhibition halls out the back and derelict pubs on Hyde Road itself. It just had something. Thank god I visited it before it closed. I feel genuinely privileged having done so, and it's something no-one under twenty years of age will have experienced. If British speedway had a "mecca" then Hyde Road was surely it.

I remember the first think I looked for when I got into the stand was the drains on the inside of the kerb. I'd read that one of them had seriously injured Peter Collins a few years earlier when he rode over it. Sure enough they were still there, but neat and tidy and well away from the edge of the track.

What'e there now? A crappy car auction and a boring multiplex. This is progress?

Graham.

Edited by Graham

I was taken by the decaying splendour of the place - the old stands, the big pacy track and the mural over the entrance overlooking the second bend. Also the surrounding area which in the 1980s was in serious decline - the old exhibition halls out the back and derelict pubs on Hyde Road itself. It just had something. Thank god I visited it before it closed. I feel genuinely privileged having done so, and it's something no-one under twenty years of age will have experienced. If British speedway had a "mecca" then Hyde Road was surely it.

I remember the first think I looked for when I got into the stand was the drains on the inside of the kerb. I'd read that one of them had seriously injured Peter Collins a few years earlier when he rode over it. Sure enough they were still there, but neat and tidy and well away from the edge of the track.

What'e there now? A crappy car auction and a boring multiplex. This is progress?

Graham.

i've always felt the same about west ham. watching speedway at custom house and hyde road was like being in a living museum. no other tracks have made the same impression on me.

I loved Coatbridge . Ok the stadium was probably the worst ever to hold speedway , but the track with the huge bankings was brilliant .

As for away tracks - as has been said previously - the Somerset track stands out a mile . :approve:

Edited by Paulco

Graham.

Definitely one of the best that is no longer in existence. I went there for about 2 seasons just before the team moved to Kirky Lane and it always had a special atmosphere. Mind you, I took the girlfriend (now wife of 20 years) there a few times so that might have something to do with it.

Only went to Cradley once (in 1984), but it was memorable because Wimbledon ended their long unbeaten run in the league.

Amazing places no longer with us that I visited include Park Road, Barrow, Crayford's tiny track (that'll start Bryn off) & Castleford.

I have a few favourites currently but if I was forced to pick one it would probably be Newport. The riders apparently hate it but I have never seen a bad meeting there :approve: .

I have a few favourites currently but if I was forced to pick one it would probably be Newport. The riders apparently hate it but I have never seen a bad meeting there :approve: .

Funny you should say that because i'm the same . Newport does come in for some critisism ( unfair in my book ) , but any time i've been there the speedway has been excellent . Ok Newport v Glasgow meetings are usually highly charged events and it's easy to get carried away with it all , but i've been to a couple of Welsh Opens as well and both have been terrific .

Hyde Road was the best away venue for racing and atmosphere.

Another venue I enjoyed going to was East Boldon during the Jack Millen era as the racing was so unpredictable.

Edited by cyclone

HalifaxTiger/Paulco are you talking about the new Newport or the old one(Somerton Park) I'm talking about the old one-P.S. to Railway end -don't recall the smell you mentioned-but the street I recall in Hackney was Carpenters Rd., the street of a thousand smells.Cradley is still top in my book-as someone said a real speedway stadium in a real speedway area and real dedicated speedway fans!!

Used to enjoy Wimbledon Hackney West Ham and New Cross...currently Coventry and Worky are good stadiums for viewing .

HalifaxTiger/Paulco are you talking about the new Newport or the old one(Somerton Park) I'm talking about the old one-P.S. to Railway end -don't recall the smell you mentioned-but the street I recall in Hackney was Carpenters Rd., the street of a thousand smells.Cradley is still top in my book-as someone said a real speedway stadium in a real speedway area and real dedicated speedway fans!!

BOBBATH,they are referring to the new track,and as for your second point about the smell from the park,believe me,if you had smelt it,you do`nt forget it :lol:

• 2 months later...

I have wonderful memories of quite a few tracks. Mt favourites were Kings Lynn, Halifax, Sheffield, Belle Vue (Hyde Road).

I liked different tracks for different reasons - Cradley was a bit of a dump compared to others, but the bar was friendly and the pork and suffing sandwiches brilliant. I didn't much like Hackney as a track, but I always loved the journey back - the coach always made the trip along the Embankment. I liked the stadium at Wimbledon, but not the track itself. I can't remember if it was Stoke or Long Eaton where you could park the car trackside and watch the meeting.

Talking of smells - anyone else remember standing at Kings Lynn with the stink of the beet factory wafting over you, and the wind straight from the North Sea cutting straight through you?

I can't remember if it was Stoke or Long Eaton where you could park the car trackside and watch the meeting.

Both I think. Definitely at Stoke and you can still do that now and the other half says cars could be parked along the back straight at Station Road because he remembers the lights flashing if a Long Eaton rider won. I wish I could recall these things but obviously my brain only stores up really useful information. :wink:

• 2 weeks later...
Both I think. Definitely at Stoke and you can still do that now and the other half says cars could be parked along the back straight at Station Road because he remembers the lights flashing if a Long Eaton rider won. I wish I could recall these things but obviously my brain only stores up really useful information. :wink:

Yes both stoke and long eaton. I have to say that i smuggled my kids in via the boot once when times were hard!

Edited by westhamboy66

• 3 weeks later...
cant belive no one has mentioned southampton or exeter ,southampton was known as the wembley of the west an exceptional stadium and complex and exeter for sheer thrill value no where else comes near it in my eyes

i remember my first and only visit to the county ground when i was a youngster now bearing in mind i was used to the blantyre tracks at the time you can imagine how shocked i was when i saw this monster with a greyhound track on the inside and a rugby pitch :shock: my dad and i watched the main meeting from the back straight up beside the pits but wandered over to the home straight and watched the second half right by the fence idiot me i nearly rubbish a brick when the riders flew past me on the first lap you could feel the drag blowing your hair :lol: