British Speedway Forum

Speedway World Cup

If the SWC is an international team event, why do the riders ride on their own?????

Speedway outsiders must think team speedway is a joke if it's just a collection of seven individuals

It would be much better to have team pairs in the races - maybe then the abysmal standard of racing would be improved?

Could we have a fairly interesting World Cup this year please, with maybe some of the riders actually bothering - if not, lets scrap it

I prefer the old 16 races with four in each team and a sub ready to ride. Add to that 4 nominated heats and it works well.

Possibly the best final involving pairs would be easily done.

ENGLAND (Not Team GB)

01 Scott Nicholls

02 Lee Richardson

03 Chris Harris

04 David Howe

SWEDEN

05 Andreas Jonsson

06 Mikael Max

07 Fredrik Lindgren

08 Peter Karlsson

DENMARK

09 Nicki Pedersen

10 Kenneth Bjerre

11 Hans Andersen

12 Neils K Iversen

POLAND

13 Tomasz Gollob

14 Krzysztof Kasprzak

15 Jarek Hampel

16 Rune Holta

Reserves

17 Simon Stead ENG

18 Jonas Davidsson SWE

19 Charlie Gjedde DEN

20 Karol Zabik POL

teams are only examples

HEAT 01 = ENG 01 - 02 V SWE 05 - 06

HEAT 02 = DEN 09 - 10 V POL 13 - 14

HEAT 03 = ENG 03 - 04 V DEN 11 - 12

HEAT 04 = SWE 07 - 08 V POL 15 - 16

HEAT 05 = ENG 01 - 02 V POL 13 - 14

HEAT 06 = DEN 09 - 10 V SWE 05 - 06

HEAT 07 = ENG 03 - 04 V SWE 07 - 08

HEAT 08 = DEN 11 - 12 V POL 15 - 16

HEAT 09 = ENG 01 - 02 V DEN 09 - 10

HEAT 10 = SWE 05 - 06 V POL 13 - 14

HEAT 11 = ENG 03 - 04 V DEN 09 - 10

HEAT 12 = SWE 07 - 08 V POL 13 - 14

HEAT 13 = ENG 01 - 02 V POL 15 - 16

HEAT 14 = SWE 05 - 06 V DEN 11 - 12

HEAT 15 = ENG 03 - 04 V POL 13 - 14

HEAT 16 = DEN 09 - 10 V SWE 07 - 08

HEAT 17 = ENG 01 - 02 V DEN 11 - 12

HEAT 18 = ENG 03 - 04 V SWE 05 - 06

HEAT 19 = POL 13 - 14 V DEN 11 - 12

HEAT 20 = SWE 07 - 08 V ENG 01 - 02

HEAT 21 = SWE 05 - 06 V POL 15 - 16

HEAT 22 = ENG any 2 V POL any 2

HEAT 23 = SWE any 2 V DEN any 2

HEAT 24 = ENG any 2 V DEN any 2

HEAT 25 = POL any 2 V SWE any 2

HEAT 26 = DEN any 2 V POL any 2

HEAT 27 = ENG any 2 V SWE any 2

riders can take a maximum of 2 rides each in heats 22-27

other option is to forget Heats 22-27

Edited by T.N.T.

Surley Bjarne Pedersen would feature in the danish team...

and depending on where it was held Jonas Davidsson would be in the swedish team ahead of Mikael Max.

teams are only examples

Surley Bjarne Pedersen would feature in the danish team...

and depending on where it was held Jonas Davidsson would be in the swedish team ahead of Mikael Max.

:blink:

• 1 year later...
If the SWC is an international team event, why do the riders ride on their own?????

It would be much better to have team pairs in the races - maybe then the abysmal standard of racing would be improved?

Well a four-term format is used for good reasons. Firstly, only about five or six nations could track full test sides, and small sided teams allow more countries to be competitive. Secondly, it's not practical for all nations (e.g. USA and Australia) to ride home meetings in the SWC, and neither are meetings at neutral venues a financial success. The four-team format also means that fewer venues need to be found, and fewer meetings need to be staged to complete the competition which is important for most federations.

As to why teams don't ride in pairs. Well there is a reasonable 4-team, 24-heat format where teammates compete in pairs, and this was actually used in the old WTC for a couple of years around 2000. However, because every team doesn't ride in every heat, there was too much scope for contrived results, and it also complicated working out things like tactical rides and tactical substitutions.

The classic 4TT format has probably endured because of familiarity. It's been around for decades, and is actually very similar to the classic individual format. It probably also better suits the majority of countries that only have individual racing.

A SWC between full test sides (i.e. 2 teams of 7 or 8 riders) sounds good in theory, but would actually be totally impractical the way international speedway is these days.

I know it's only an example, but something isn't right with the suggested format. Four teams of four riders with every pair riding every other pair would produce 24 heats. You could scale the number of heats up or down (at the expense of having pairs meeting different numbers of times or not at all), but only in blocks of 6 heats if you want to ensure every team has the same number of rides. So your choice is a 18, 24 or 30 heat meeting.

Speedway outsiders must think team speedway is a joke if it's just a collection of seven individuals

Could we have a fairly interesting World Cup this year please, with maybe some of the riders actually bothering - if not, lets scrap it

So that would be the World Pairs then! I guess if you're relatively new to the sport you may have missed it. It was ditched before the World Team Cup was revamped into the World Cup, so I guess it was due to scheduling.

Can't see the problem to be honest. Speedway has team and individual racing and this is a combo of both. And it's provided some of the best speedway over the last few years. Maybe we've been watching different meetings?! :unsure:

So that would be the World Pairs then!

The World Pairs was a good competition. In fact, the World Pairs actually became the WTC when one team competition had to make way for the SGP, but it just wasn't very credible to claim that 3 riders (one of which was reserve) constituted a national team. I think the four team format returned after a few years.

I prefer the old 16 races with four in each team and a sub ready to ride. Add to that 4 nominated heats and it works well.

Possibly the best final involving pairs would be easily done.

ENGLAND (Not Team GB)

01 Scott Nicholls

02 Lee Richardson

03 Chris Harris

04 David Howe

SWEDEN

05 Andreas Jonsson

06 Mikael Max

07 Fredrik Lindgren

08 Peter Karlsson

DENMARK

09 Nicki Pedersen

10 Kenneth Bjerre

11 Hans Andersen

12 Neils K Iversen

POLAND

13 Tomasz Gollob

14 Krzysztof Kasprzak

15 Jarek Hampel

16 Rune Holta

Reserves

17 Simon Stead ENG

18 Jonas Davidsson SWE

19 Charlie Gjedde DEN

20 Karol Zabik POL

teams are only examples

HEAT 01 = ENG 01 - 02 V SWE 05 - 06

HEAT 02 = DEN 09 - 10 V POL 13 - 14

HEAT 03 = ENG 03 - 04 V DEN 11 - 12

HEAT 04 = SWE 07 - 08 V POL 15 - 16

HEAT 05 = ENG 01 - 02 V POL 13 - 14

HEAT 06 = DEN 09 - 10 V SWE 05 - 06

HEAT 07 = ENG 03 - 04 V SWE 07 - 08

HEAT 08 = DEN 11 - 12 V POL 15 - 16

HEAT 09 = ENG 01 - 02 V DEN 09 - 10

HEAT 10 = SWE 05 - 06 V POL 13 - 14

HEAT 11 = ENG 03 - 04 V DEN 09 - 10

HEAT 12 = SWE 07 - 08 V POL 13 - 14

HEAT 13 = ENG 01 - 02 V POL 15 - 16

HEAT 14 = SWE 05 - 06 V DEN 11 - 12

HEAT 15 = ENG 03 - 04 V POL 13 - 14

HEAT 16 = DEN 09 - 10 V SWE 07 - 08

HEAT 17 = ENG 01 - 02 V DEN 11 - 12

HEAT 18 = ENG 03 - 04 V SWE 05 - 06

HEAT 19 = POL 13 - 14 V DEN 11 - 12

HEAT 20 = SWE 07 - 08 V ENG 01 - 02

HEAT 21 = SWE 05 - 06 V POL 15 - 16

HEAT 22 = ENG any 2 V POL any 2

HEAT 23 = SWE any 2 V DEN any 2

HEAT 24 = ENG any 2 V DEN any 2

HEAT 25 = POL any 2 V SWE any 2

HEAT 26 = DEN any 2 V POL any 2

HEAT 27 = ENG any 2 V SWE any 2

riders can take a maximum of 2 rides each in heats 22-27

TNT, you are hopless at times - you've got different countries riding in a different number of heats. :lol:

27 x 2 / 4 = 13.5, which is not a whole number.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

As to why teams don't ride in pairs. Well there is a reasonable 4-team, 24-heat format where teammates compete in pairs, and this was actually used in the old WTC for a couple of years around 2000. However, because every team doesn't ride in every heat, there was too much scope for contrived results, and it also complicated working out things like tactical rides and tactical substitutions.

Yes, the result of the 2000 World Team Cup was somewhat controversial and after that a 4-team, 24-heat format involving pairs was quietly dropped.

A PROPER World Team Cup would only involve two teams in each meeting. Two groups of four, with Group A & B matches (two each) taking place on alternate. Schedule could be:

Day 1 - Thursday - Group A matches x 2

Day 2 - Friday - Group B matches x 2

Day 3 - Saturday - Group A matches x 2

Day 4 - Sunday - Group B matches x 2

Day 5 - Monday - Group A matches x 2

Day 6 - Tuesday - Group B matches x 2

(Restaging date for all group matches is the following day)

Day 8 - Thursday - SF1 - winner Group A v runner-up Group B

Day 9 - Friday - SF2 - winner Group B v runner-up Group A

(Restaging date for semis is Day 10 - Saturday)

Day 11 - Sunday - the final

(Restaging date Day 12 - Monday)

Prospective groups

Group A - Denmark, Australia, England, Czech Republic.

Group B - Poland, Sweden, USA, Russia.

All the best

Rob

I posted this as a rough example ..... 13 months ago

Some people on here do have a habit of picking up on errors and detail rather than answering the question or topic sometimes don't they.? :lol:

I actually favour a seven man team format with just two teams per meeting over two weeks, like the football world cup. But this will never happen as it would be unviable and there isn't enough riders and neither is there enough quality teams. Although this would open the gates for the likes of wales and scotland to compete although the usual few teams will stand heads and shoulders above others.

Edited by Deano

Some people on here do have a habit of picking up on errors and detail rather than answering the question or topic sometimes don't they.? :lol:

I actually favour a seven man team format with just two teams per meeting over two weeks, like the football world cup. But this will never happen as it would be unviable and there isn't enough riders and neither is there enough quality teams. Although this would open the gates for the likes of wales and scotland to compete although the usual few teams will stand heads and shoulders above others.

I don't get how making it 7 man teams will open it up for Wales or Scotland when they couldnt even compete with 4 or 5 man teams!!!Even disregarding the rules that seem to bar them from competing in FIM events anyway :blink::blink:

Damn stupid idea I agree but it doesn't look like it's going to change any time soon and your chances of getting a reply as to why don't look very good either. :wink:

I don't get how making it 7 man teams will open it up for Wales or Scotland when they couldnt even compete with 4 or 5 man teams!!!Even disregarding the rules that seem to bar them from competing in FIM events anyway :blink::blink:

Just do what the Irish do..... if you are a 700th generation decendant or a cousin 900 times removed ... your in! :approve:

I thought I would try my yearly SWC question again

and have failed to have it answered, again :blink:

I'll try again next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A rather strange statement considering Humphrey gave you a perfectly detailed explanation of the reasons for the current set-up!