Careers Ruined By Injury

chunky

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve,

Genno is a good example.

He was injured in South Africa in a car crash I think 1956 when touring with an English team. I believe that it was the crash that Gery Hussey was Killed in. He then had serious eye problems in 1959 and then qualified as reserve for the World Final 1960 in Gothenberg bu bwas unable to travel because he needed an operation.

In the late 60s of course he fractured his skull in a crash at cradley, but to be fair that was towards the twilght of his career.

However, previously he had been 'a points machine' for Oxford and Poole.

Brian I think the chap who lost his life in that car crash was Terry Courtnell, other passengers alongside Genno I believe were Howdy Byford and Dennis Newton who were on tour together.

Arne Pander had some terrible knocks and had his skull fractured too which really did for his career - in 1966 v Coventry?

Pip Lamb and John Hack were promising young Oxford riders who both suffered terrible injuries.

Edited by miro

Bobbath, I know what you mean about Graham Warren, but he had achieved already. Was it the 1950 World final what he could have won?

Graham Warren could have won many world finals. He shot in to prominence in 1949 and by 1950 was ranked no. 1 in the world by the authoratative Stenner's Annual. It was thought he would prove to be one of the greatest riders of all time with many World Championships ahead of him. Unfortunately his injury put paid to that and although he was still a good rider, he never regained the "greatness" that he had in 1950.

was it ali stevens who suffered a serious back injury when he fell through a ceiling or a roof whilst working or was it paul bosley or is my mind playing tricks i just seem to remember this happening to a rider around the mid eighties :unsure:

Yes it was Ali

He did come back from the arm injury and rode for Oxford, Wimbledon and Milton Keynes but never really got back to where he looked like he going to get to. He then did have an industrial injury. Pretty sure he opened a clothes store with the proceeds which ultimately went bust. Hadn't seen him around speedway again until Waggy's reunion in 2006

Yes it was Ali

He did come back from the arm injury and rode for Oxford, Wimbledon and Milton Keynes but never really got back to where he looked like he going to get to. He then did have an industrial injury. Pretty sure he opened a clothes store with the proceeds which ultimately went bust. Hadn't seen him around speedway again until Waggy's reunion in 2006

cheers chris i also remember those rider profiles in the speedway star in the mid eighties and when asked for riders for the future alis name was usually mentioned along with havvy,silver,biles and dugard

if i remember right chris pidcock and david tyler at long eaton are another two who looked to be going places until injury intervened

Brian I think the chap who lost his life in that car crash was Terry Courtnell, other passengers alongside Genno I believe were Howdy Byford and Dennis Newton who were on tour together.

Arne Pander had some terrible knocks and had his skull fractured too which really did for his career - in 1966 v Coventry?

Pip Lamb and John Hack were promising young Oxford riders who both suffered terrible injuries.

Thanks for that on South Africa, But Arne's injury camre at Coventry in about 1960/61 in a crash with Les Owen.

Thanks for that on South Africa, But Arne's injury camre at Coventry in about 1960/61 in a crash with Les Owen.

I thought it was Coventry and Les Owen but later, must be another of his many other injuries. Didn't he miss a whole season because of injury and run a Petrol station on the Cowley Road or am I completely wrong on that? also didn't he nearly blow himself up once in a workshop accident?

BrianH -think it was in a track speedcar crash that Gerry Hussey died. Graham Warren- I think-but stand to be corrected- was that he was on his way to win the 1950 World Final, won 2 rides, fell while trying to pass eventual winner Fred Williams(who had home track advantage) then came back and won his remaining two.He finished third-then at some point he had an accident which I reckon knocked the stuffing out of him and was never the same againand that's why I brought his name forward.

BrianH -think it was in a track speedcar crash that Gerry Hussey died.

according to this memorium site gerry hussey died on march 7 1959 after a crash whilst racing midget cars at rowley park adelaide the night before if anyone hasnt seen the site it can be found at

http://www.geocities.com/bullpointer/memoriam

Edited by mervjankefanclub

according to this memorium site gerry hussey died on march 7 1959 after a crash whilst racing midget cars at rowley park adelaide the night before if anyone hasnt seen the site it can be found at

http://www.geocities.com/bullpointer/memoriam

Thanks for the plug!!!

Steve

Thanks for the plug!!!

Steve

no problem steve i didnt even notice your signature its a very interesting and informative site great work :approve:

I thought it was Coventry and Les Owen but later, must be another of his many other injuries. Didn't he miss a whole season because of injury and run a Petrol station on the Cowley Road or am I completely wrong on that? also didn't he nearly blow himself up once in a workshop accident?

He had many injuries and rode on several occasions with his ankle in plaster and wrist in plaster. He was a very brave chap.

There was a Belle Vue Colt in the 1980's called Declan Eccles who seemed to have it all. He had the speed and style, and certainly had the ability at the old Hyde Road stadium to beat many a visiting rider. I remember one glorious race where he overtook Sam Ermolenko on the pit bend at Hyde Road, only be overtook a lap later. I really felt he was going places but he suffered a bad injury (can't remember the exact details) and we never saw him again. Does anyone on here know what happened to Declan?

There was a Belle Vue Colt in the 1980's called Declan Eccles who seemed to have it all. He had the speed and style, and certainly had the ability at the old Hyde Road stadium to beat many a visiting rider. I remember one glorious race where he overtook Sam Ermolenko on the pit bend at Hyde Road, only be overtook a lap later. I really felt he was going places but he suffered a bad injury (can't remember the exact details) and we never saw him again. Does anyone on here know what happened to Declan?

i think he got into sand track racing and was very successful

John Berry, if memory serves me correctly, said he was supremely talented but wasn't the same after losing fingers in a track crash.

Tony was another who had a number of serious injuries. He usually bounced back pretty well, but how much better would he have done without constantly having his career interrupted? I still remember seeing the photo on the cover of the Ipswich programme when he broke his thigh - yuk!!!

Steve

i remember liking john hack when i was a youngster and he had a few outings with glasgow am i right in thinking it was a fractured skull something similar to what happened to graeme dawson that ended his career miro :unsure: