British Speedway Forum

Wayne Briggs

BOBBATH

Whatever happened to Wayne-great PL rider-came 2nd I think in 1963 PL RC-is he still around??

Wayne was a class act almost as soon as he arrived here in 1961, and by the following year was starting to reel off maximums. The remarkable thing about that is that it has subsequently been claimed that he had never actually ridden a speedway bike before he arrived in Edinburgh!

However, he was terribly injury-prone and that's what put paid to a potentially great career. I remember him running into Doug Templeton one night at Meadowbank; the result was two broken wrists.

I last saw him ride at Newport in about 1970/71 (although I'm damned if I can remember whether he rode for the home team or the visitors - Wembley, maybe.

Wayne had a very bad crash at Somerton Park in 1964. I remember reading in the

Newport Speedway magazine called Waspland Whisperings it was an interview with his brother Barry and he said that the frame of his bike had broke that’s what caused his crash.

It was the worst crash that I witnessed at Somerton. He was out for about 2years before he rode again.

BL Career

WAYNE BRIGGS Edinburgh(65),Poole(66),Exeter(67,68,71),Coatbridge(69),Wembley(70)

frigbo,

How many meetings did Wayne ride in 1965 for Edinburgh?

I thought he missed the 1965 season.

He rode in 6 ( 3 home and 3 away), averaging 4.42

The remarkable thing about that is that it has subsequently been claimed that he had never actually ridden a speedway bike before he arrived in Edinburgh!

That's certainly what Barry says in his autobiography.

Steve

There is a portrait photo of Wayne in the Poole section on this website.

Of course,theres plenty of Barry in Saints section!

http://www.classicspeedway.co.uk/gallery.htm

And many of those photos (including the one of Wayne) are mine! I think I also have one of him in Wembley colours.

Steve

frigbo,

How many meetings did Wayne ride in 1965 for Edinburgh?

I thought he missed the 1965 season.

There is an article about him in the Speedway Star May 31, 1968. It says he rode in six matches in 1965 but had a thigh injury and wasn't able to ride again that season. I've read that he retired in 1972 because of shoulder problems. On the Taranaki History Speedway site it says he is now living in Malaga, Spain http://www.historicspeedway.co.nz/personalities.htm

Edited by peterh7

There is an article about him in the Speedway Star May 31, 1968. It says he rode in six matches in 1965 but had a thigh injury and wasn't able to ride again that season. I've read that he retired in 1972 because of shoulder problems. On the Taranaki History Speedway site it says he is now living in Malaga, Spain

That’s interesting Peterh7 now can you tell BOBBATH and myself where Bob Hughes Is living Lol.

Hi Railway End- I think I used to stand on the opposite side from you, I know after a couple of years they changed where the starting gate was-I reckon you must have been on the side where there was glass fronted bar(a club you had to pay to get in) upstairs above the terrace.I was at the side where there was seating and then a bar behind the stand(separate little building)-I even joined the Newport County Supporters Club to get in.Great days-I even liked Whitbread Trophy beer then-aaagh!!! I recall when Wayne Briggs came with Edinburgh in Prov. Lge.-it was the second meeting I ever saw-Wasps won 42-36 I think(July 1964??).They were a good team , and good as Wayne was I reckon George Hunter was the star of that team

He rode in 6 ( 3 home and 3 away), averaging 4.42

Frigbo, could you give me Wayne's averages for the other years he rode? I have 7.83 for 1967 and 6.39 for 1969.

And would anyone know his date of birth?

thanks

Peter

Whatever happened to Wayne-great PL rider-came 2nd I think in 1963 PL RC-is he still around??

He now lives in Spain, he moved there a couple of years ago permanently as he and Theresa had a house there for a number of years. He was very well the last time I saw him before he went to spain.