British Speedway Forum

K D "kid" Curtis

dantodan

Kid Curtis was part of Newcastle's pre war team and I think again after the war. I have a photograph and an old helmet with his name on it and I would like to put together 2 or 3 paras on the Newcastle History Site. Does anyone know much about Kid

email me jskinner06@btinternet.com

Edited by dantodan

Kid Curtis was part of Newcastle's pre war team and I think again after the war. I have a photograph and an old helmet with his name on it and I would like to put together 2 or 3 paras on the Newcastle History Site.

Real name was Fred Curtis. After Newcastle, he rode for West Ham. Suggest that you do a google search for West Ham.

Real name was Fred Curtis. After Newcastle, he rode for West Ham. Suggest that you do a google search for West Ham.

Thanks speedyguy.

Heres a link to one of my sites pre war pages Newcastle Pre War

I have photographed Kid Curtis's crash helmet, not that my camera could do this 70 year old helmet justice

Fred was with Newcastle pre-war but after the war he joined up with the Hodgson brothers, Frank & Jack, riding for the Middlesbrough Bears under the Management of Harry Whitfield. He could well have ridden at Newcastle during the short 1945 season. In 1946 the Bears were Northern League Champions and in 1947 they won the Division Two title. Fred then joined West Ham Hammers in Division One for the 1948 season and later joined Oxford Cheetahs (in 1954 I think). I think he retired following his days with Oxford. Kid usually did well at the Firs when he came to visit in the League matches, being a solid middle order team-man.

Edited by star ghost

Kid Curtis was part of Newcastle's pre war team and I think again after the war. I have a photograph and an old helmet with his name on it and I would like to put together 2 or 3 paras on the Newcastle History Site. Does anyone know much about Kid

I have a head and shoulders photo of Kid Curtis in my scrap book of nearly 60 years. I also have a Brough Park badge from the old days given to me by Norman Hargreaves, a family friend, who rode for Newcastle in 1939.I'm happy to em the photo and a photo copy of the badge if they are any use to you.Cheers Bill.

I have a head and shoulders photo of Kid Curtis in my scrap book of nearly 60 years. I also have a Brough Park badge from the old days given to me by Norman Hargreaves, a family friend, who rode for Newcastle in 1939.I'm happy to em the photo and a photo copy of the badge if they are any use to you.Cheers Bill.

Yes please Bill

email address jskinner06@btinternet.com

Also interested in Norman Hargreaves or in fact any ex newcastle riders not covered much by the Newcastle History Site

How did we get from Kid KD Curtis to Fred Curtis I wonder? He is obviously the same man

Edited by dantodan

The old helmet had an inscription of K D Curtis which set me off on a wild goose chase looking for a KD Curtis, obviously

K D was "Kid" with a very faint i. So with help here on the forum I have decided that the Helmet inscription spelt K-I-D and that it's owners name was Frederick George Curtis born London 1920.

Thank you for your help and have a look at the webpage History Site Pre War